Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Money & gender. May I ask for you views?

Money & gender. May I ask for you views?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:31 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Money & gender. May I ask for you views?

I am doing another radio show in a couple of days and my topic this month is Money & Gender.

Do the sexes view money differently?
Does one gender take control more?
Are we treated differently by financial institutions? (I'll be talking about European rulings here as well as local attitudes)

I'd just like to know if members of the bored think that men and women do handle money differently. Is one gender better with money than the other? How does it work in your household? Why do so many women allow their husbands to talk full control? (Numerous surveys says more than half do this.)

I am obtaining views from a few places and whilst years of speaking to people about money makes me pretty sure of how it tends to work in most cases, I am always open to new ideas and views.

Thanks folks
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money & gender. May I ask for you views?

Originally Posted by Meow
I am doing another radio show in a couple of days and my topic this month is Money & Gender.

Are we treated differently by financial institutions? (I'll be talking about European rulings here as well as local attitudes)

I'd just like to know if members of the bored think that men and women do handle money differently. Is one gender better with money than the other? How does it work in your household? Why do so many women allow their husbands to talk full control? (Numerous surveys says more than half do this.)

I am obtaining views from a few places and whilst years of speaking to people about money makes me pretty sure of how it tends to work in most cases, I am always open to new ideas and views.

Thanks folks
My experience is that how money is handled has nothing to do with gender.
I allow my husband control over his assets, having said that, we discuss decisions to be made...all input will be considered, but in the end he will make a final decision. I am ok with that, after all, he does earn that money, I do not.
I handle all matters concerning my own assets.
Don't know about financial institutions over here, as I do not deal with them.
In Europe I do not think there are differences made between male and female customers.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Meow in my household - I pay. I say.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:50 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks
I'd say I'm the more pragmatic regarding finances in our household. Mr Kitty is ever optimistic and has an overview of all of our joint accounts. He also deals with the credit cards (I don't have one, don't need or want one). I, on the other hand, seem to have more of a grasp on reality, deal with the day-today-budgeting, and try to get my head around our forthcoming payments and dodgy cash-flow.

As for our personal finances (we each have personal accounts as well as a joint one), I know for a fact that I work my money harder than he does... which isn't saying much, but it's a start.

We found the split joint/ personal account system to be the best. The money in the j/acc, where ever it comes from, is for the household, and our own money is our own. It makes me, as the (current) non-earner, feel slightly less dependent, which is a feeling I hate. However, my parents just have a joint account - no personal accounts and my in-laws just have personal accounts and will lend each other money if they need it... and pay it back when they can!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I joke.

I have the credit card, she has the cash card. The reality is that she has a lot more access to money than I do as there is always more cash than credit available.

We are both a tight as each other... and whenever I get an SMS saying '1002 DH withdrawn' she knows I'll be calling her up to ask why she didn't use an HSBC machine.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:58 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Actually, I joke.

I have the credit card, she has the cash card. The reality is that she has a lot more access to money than I do as there is always more cash than credit available.

We are both a tight as each other... and whenever I get an SMS saying '1002 DH withdrawn' she knows I'll be calling her up to ask why she didn't use an HSBC machine.
hehe
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:06 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure its a gender thing.

Bahtatgirl is far better at control and planning.
In my experience banks treat us equally like shit.

Was discussing the control bit at the weekend with a colleague: his missus doesn't even get to see banks statements or the like, he does everything on line and she's happy not to know anything, just so long as she has what she needs.

Acquaintance does much the same as my colleague. Even when he was made redundant and his wife was hysterical, he lied to her about how much pay-off he was getting, and stuffed half of it into a secret account.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:27 pm
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Even when he was made redundant and his wife was hysterical, he lied to her about how much pay-off he was getting, and stuffed half of it into a secret account.
Wow - must be great to be in such a trusting relationship!

Saying that, on [cough] EW, the number of times women suggest eeking away some of the housekeeping allowance "just in case" is quite scary!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting and thanks for the input so far.

Insurance companies do treat the genders differently in respect of pensions (annuities in particular), life insurance, critical illness cover and vehicle insurances, although a new European ruling may change that.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks
Women tend to spend more than men on mad things likebags and shoes, but in general are better with cash and quite often look after and plan the money side of things.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Actually, I joke.

ha ha, you gypo!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Women tend to spend more than men on mad things likebags and shoes, but in general are better with cash and quite often look after and plan the money side of things.
Men tend to make up for that with "gadgets", cars and motorcycles.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:57 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Says the man who spends half of his money on t-shirts and sambucca...
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Men tend to make up for that with "gadgets", cars and motorcycles.
Now don't go comparing apples with pears. What woman actually NEEDS more than 2 handbags and 2 pairs of shoes? iPod, iPhone, Leatherman tool, Harley, boat, B&O sound system, a Breitling for travel, a Tag Hauer for sporting afternoons, a Patek Philippe for business, an IWC for show, a Rado for when you we visit Lebanon, a Corum on the yacht, who the hell drinks whiskey that's younger than the Chinese girlfriend, Chinese girlfriend, Ferragamo shoes--we're talking essentials here woman.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:28 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Says the man who spends half of his money on t-shirts and sambucca...
All my sambuca doesn;t add up to mrs spugsy's show collection I can tell you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.