Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Misuse of the apostrophe.

Misuse of the apostrophe.

Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Misuse of the apostrophe.

Originally Posted by seven seas
Use the hose. Paper is unnecessary and inefficient.
Oh God
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:37 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

But doesn't drying your with paper afterwards defeat the object
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:31 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I do. I just prefer to double up and make sure it's 100% clean
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Within the first three months, the toilet became blocked four times. And I don't use that much paper.
You really must do big, big jobs.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 10th 2012 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:24 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misuse of the apostrophe

Originally Posted by silversilver
I must stress I don't really pay attention to punctuation when texting or typing on forums or FB however if I was making a sign for the general public to feast their eyes upon on I would make sure it was right. (take note I have used only one full stop in that epic ramble)

I type the way I talk - lots and without a care for pausing or stopping in the right places.
The loss of the English subjunctive 'were' is lamentable also. Even the BBC don't do it consistently any more
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I thought that earlier, gave me my first laugh of the day but now .......

That's it the fast is on.... every time I think about eating something terribly unhealthy I'm going to think of those "big,big jobs."
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

As for 'the hose' that must be another thing that I'm going to have to get used to in Dubai! I can wait to be introduced to that.

Last edited by silversilver; Aug 10th 2012 at 2:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misuse of the apostrophe

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
It's a bracketing comma so is perfectly legal. It's linked to the second comma after trade.
Perfectly correct.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:47 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

But please elaborate on the 'hose'.... in Scotland that terminology refers to how you are on the pan after eating something particularly dodgy. Also can be known as 'the power hose'
Am I right in thinking you aren't here yet? if so you may not have come across the shataf (sp?) which I believe means snake in Arabic which is next to every loo. It's a water hose, used to clean your nether regions.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Am I right in thinking you aren't here yet? if so you may not have come across the shataf (sp?) which I believe means snake in Arabic which is next to every loo. It's a water hose, used to clean your nether regions.
Yes, that's right. I fly out to Dubai two weeks today. Thanks for the insight Meow :-)
Looking forward to it very much (Dubai that is - not the hose!!)
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:19 pm
Bored liberal

Yes, that's right. I fly out to Dubai two weeks today. Thanks for the insight Meow :-)
Looking forward to it very much (Dubai that is - not the hose!!)
You'd think that people were obsessed by the cleanliness of certain parts as most bathromms have both a shataf and a bidet. OCD??

You'll have to come along to the next BE drinks. That's assuming we can cope with the sight of each other yet again!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

You'd think that people were obsessed by the cleanliness of certain parts as most bathromms have both a shataf and a bidet. OCD??

You'll have to come along to the next BE drinks. That's assuming we can cope with the sight of each other yet again!
Definitely, I'd like that.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:32 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought it was to wash your feet
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:49 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
And I thought it was to wash your feet
To be honest, when I lived in JBR that was all the bidet got used for.

Great for getting the sand off your feet without it ending up all over the bath.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:53 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Nope. Just a loo designed by someone who obviously doesn't use toilet paper.

When it got blocked the first time, I saw how narrow the outlet was. It's easily a third the size of a UK-style loo.

The building's plumber told me to use the hose only. I told him to **** off, and that paper is far more hygienic than just the hose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.