British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ministry of Defence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ministry-defence-529447/)

lionheart Apr 15th 2008 8:24 am

Ministry of Defence

According to Yahoo UK News, the M-O-D have agreed to pay 2 million pounds to an Iraqi who, when aged 13, was injured when his UK soldier friend in Baghdad or wherever accidentally dropped his gun, which discharged on impact. Bearing in mind that UK soldiers are only entitled to a maximum 285,000 pounds, does the team think that this decision is a little crazy and could open the floodgates to many similar claims? I have no problem with the decision to compensate but its the amount which I object to...

NedKelly63 Apr 15th 2008 8:34 am

Re: Ministry of Defence

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6210647)
According to Yahoo UK News, the M-O-D have agreed to pay 2 million pounds to an Iraqi who, when aged 13, was injured when his UK soldier friend in Baghdad or wherever accidentally dropped his gun, which discharged on impact. Bearing in mind that UK soldiers are only entitled to a maximum 285,000 pounds, does the team think that this decision is a little crazy and could open the floodgates to many similar claims? I have no problem with the decision to compensate but its the amount which I object to...

It's not quite as 'cut and dried' as that.

And instead of using Yahoo as a News Source - why not the BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7347691.stm

Inselaffen Apr 15th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6210647)

was just about to post that it is ridiculous but then read that the kid is paralyzed and will need help for the rest of his life and will probably never work.

an award in the English courts would normally give approx GBP 150,000 just for the pain and suffering of the injury itself. then you have loss of standard o living/ loss of chance/ loss of future income/ future medical costs etc etc.

so it is probably a fair amount and a little on the low side compared to an award that would be made if this had happened in England.

I cannot understand how he was able to bring a claim through the English courts though for something that happened in Iraq.

ScotsExpat Apr 15th 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6210735)
was just about to post that it is ridiculous but then read that the kid is paralyzed and will need help for the rest of his life and will probably never work.

an award in the English courts would normally give approx GBP 150,000 just for the pain and suffering of the injury itself. then you have loss of standard o living/ loss of chance/ loss of future income/ future medical costs etc etc.

so it is probably a fair amount and a little on the low side compared to an award that would be made if this had happened in England.

I cannot understand how he was able to bring a claim through the English courts though for something that happened in Iraq.

Probably classified Iraq as a 'British Protectorate'!!!!!!

lionheart Apr 15th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly63 (Post 6210689)
It's not quite as 'cut and dried' as that.

And instead of using Yahoo as a News Source - why not the BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7347691.stm

Because I don't like the BBC...in this case, however, the reports are virtually identical.

NedKelly63 Apr 15th 2008 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6211114)
Because I don't like the BBC...in this case, however, the reports are virtually identical.

Well maybe you should take some time to read, digest and understand the content before posting in the style of 'Outraged of Tunbridge Wells'. :p

lionheart Apr 15th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly63 (Post 6211132)
Well maybe you should take some time to read, digest and understand the content before posting in the style of 'Outraged from Tunbridge Wells'. :p

What on earth are you talking about? I said that both reports are identical and stand by my view that the amount paid is unreasonably high. What is your point?

NedKelly63 Apr 15th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6211139)
What on earth are you talking about? I said that both reports are identical and stand by my view that the amount paid is unreasonably high. What is your point?

I work in IT - I'm not a remedial teacher.

Spugsy Apr 15th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6211114)

bbc news website is superb mind you

Biene zwei Apr 15th 2008 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6211182)
bbc news website is superb mind you

I would not quite agree there.. they very often sit on the fence.. I know this for a fact

Madam Medusa Apr 16th 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Biene zwei (Post 6213523)
I would not quite agree there.. they very often sit on the fence.. I know this for a fact

but of course they do...it's a publicly funded organisation...

MM, xx

jvr20 Apr 16th 2008 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Biene zwei (Post 6213523)

yeah, FOX news is much better - that way you're not expected to be capable of taking in 'both' sides. Far easier when you're told what to think. :blink:

lionheart Apr 16th 2008 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6215591)
yeah, FOX news is much better - that way you're not expected to be capable of taking in 'both' sides. Far easier when you're told what to think. :blink:

My personal favourite news channel is Al Jazeerah...they have recruited some pretty good presenters as well as being reasonably impartial.

Inselaffen Apr 16th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6215194)
but of course they do...it's a publicly funded organisation...

MM, xx

and very much politically controlled under this government.
Blair took heed from Putin on that matter

Inselaffen Apr 16th 2008 5:47 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6215643)
My personal favourite news channel is Al Jazeerah...they have recruited some pretty good presenters as well as being reasonably impartial.

hardly impartial on the middle east though which lets face it is often a large part of the news.

If there is an earthquake in a muslim country they will balme the zionists!