Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Middle Eastern warriors of old

Middle Eastern warriors of old

Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:48 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Middle Eastern warriors of old

I need to find out what sort of warriors or armies there used to be in the middle east for an ad I'm doing,

can anyone help me out? we're talking hundreds of years ago when they fought with swords and shields, who was about? Mongols? erm, Arab dudes - what?

Cheers everyone.....(and yes I have done a google search but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, ta.)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Middle Eastern warriors of old

Not sure there was much in the UAE itself, but look up Crusades and Ottoman Empire. What about the famous Saladin?

-
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:07 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

for the middle east the most well known is Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn and the saracens. images of saladin and saracen soldiers are the cliched images of "middle eastern" warriors, however there were many more dependant on geographic location and time period.

locally and throughout the arab world , warriors were famed for madcapped horse or camel charges with swords drawn.

for image ideas, google, saracen, saladin, moors and crusades

note: whatever you do, do not use images of crusaders unless they are obviously highlighted as "the bad guys"

Last edited by shiva; Jan 18th 2009 at 6:12 am.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:11 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
for the middle east the most well known is Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn and the saracens. images of saladin and saracen soldiers are the cliched images of "middle eastern" warriors, however there were many more dependant on geagraphic location and time period.

locally upto the 40's warriors were famed for madcapped horse or camel charges with swords drawn.

for image ideas, google, saracen, saladin, moors and crusades
cheers, both of you.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I need to find out what sort of warriors or armies there used to be in the middle east for an ad I'm doing,

can anyone help me out? we're talking hundreds of years ago when they fought with swords and shields, who was about? Mongols? erm, Arab dudes - what?

Cheers everyone.....(and yes I have done a google search but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, ta.)
Give me an approximate century and which region of the middle east and I'll tell you what you should be looking for.

N.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

note: whatever you do, do not use images of crusaders unless they are obviously highlighted as "the bad guys"
Yup that's true...even though the Arabs had been invading and stealing European lands some 300 years before the first crusade

N.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Yup that's true...even though the Arabs had been invading and stealing European lands some 300 years before the first crusade

N.

and before that a macedonian kicked arse all over the middle east
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:03 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

and before that a macedonian kicked arse all over the middle east
In between building Libraries. and Lighthouses........

Last edited by Eva; Jan 18th 2009 at 9:05 am.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:06 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Eva
In between building Libraries.........
and molesting Hephaestion, oh and one of the greatest crimes in history the burning of persopolis
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:09 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

and molesting Hephaestion, oh and one of the greatest crimes in history the burning of persopolis

I'll never look in awe at that lighthouse in the same way again.............
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Give me an approximate century and which region of the middle east and I'll tell you what you should be looking for.

N.
anything mate, just years ago, we want armies - like gladiator, or troy, or something like that - shield designs and swords.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

whats that?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Spugsy
anything mate, just years ago, we want armies - like gladiator, or troy, or something like that - shield designs and swords.
go watch "kingdom of heaven" will give you an idea.

this sort of stuff?

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKI...ral/index.html

designs depend entirely on where, when, culture, army etc etc

Last edited by shiva; Jan 18th 2009 at 9:49 am.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:46 am
W10

oh and one of the greatest crimes in history the burning of persopolis
Accidental, apparently....

Bit of a **** up that one!

PS - persepolis is still majestic in real life. Well worth a couple of days of anyone's time. And only about 45 mins flying from here.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:51 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by W10
Accidental, apparently....

Bit of a **** up that one!

PS - persepolis is still majestic in real life. Well worth a couple of days of anyone's time. And only about 45 mins flying from here.

perhaps accidental, perhaps not. persopolis is on my to do list pretty near the top

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.