Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Moore on the latest US gun massacre

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Big leap of logic there, buying a gun means I am willing to kill another human being?
As a gun owner in Ireland I can assure you that's certainly not true, I am definitely not willing to kill another human being.
In the US I might accept being willing to defend yourself as a cause for gun ownership.

If I wanted to kill someone I doubt availability of guns was going to really impair me in doing so.
I'm sure someone can find a breakdown of the type of guns sold in the US and I'm sure it would show a size-able percentage of those are handguns. I defy anyone to tell me that handguns are bought for hunting and that there purpose is for anything other than 'self defense'. Anyone who has a hand gun and is willing to use it, by default in my opinion, is willing to kill.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
The death penalty here is supported by a majority, and not a silent one. However most supporters are only for heinous crimes.
I find this fascinating. A country in which there is a strong Christian tradition and the figures for believers and church attendance is high. A religion which has 10 commandments, one of which is 'Thou shalt not kill' but where many people support doing just that.

Having a death penalty is therefore hypocrisy.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:24 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Apologies, our posts were coincidental. You argument appears perverse; can you discuss further?
Perverse? Well some societies choose to execute mass murderers and some don't.If that is perverse then so be it.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

A very simple question! - Why do we have an 'Apparent' American making judgment on a British Website? - Purely and observation.

Ah sorry, it is owned in the US to promote Financial Services?

Last edited by jackthehat; Jul 26th 2012 at 9:28 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your concern, but why do you care so much about US law and gun ownership? Are you planning a move? I must warn you I own a pistol and a shotgun Have for 30 plus years and have NEVER pointed one at anyone. Yes I have training.
By the same logic, why is the US so concerned about what happens in the rest of the world? You so often want it both ways...

Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your concern, but why do you care so much about US law and gun ownership?
Well for the country which purports itself to be the leader of the free world, it seems to take a very backward view on this topic and sit back and watch thousands of it citizens shot and murdered each year.

It then allows an outdated document, to be used out of context by, to justify the unjustifiable. Now, where has that led to trouble before...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:31 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I'm sure someone can find a breakdown of the type of guns sold in the US and I'm sure it would show a size-able percentage of those are handguns. I defy anyone to tell me that handguns are bought for hunting and that there purpose is for anything other than 'self defense'. Anyone who has a hand gun and is willing to use it, by default in my opinion, is willing to kill.
BIG SIGH< I have owned a hand gun my entire adult life. I have NO desire to kill anyone or thing. Would I in my home? Against someone who refused to RETREAT(please pardon the capitals) yes. If you are running or walking out the door then no. I own a handgun but do not want to kill. That is 99% of America. Please look beyond the headlines.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat
A very simple question! - Why do we have an 'Apparent' American making judgment on a British Website? - Purely and observation.

Ah sorry, it is owned in the US to promote Financial Services?
I made NO judgement, only posed a question.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

BIG SIGH< I have owned a hand gun my entire adult life. I have NO desire to kill anyone or thing. Would I in my home? Against someone who refused to RETREAT(please pardon the capitals) yes. If you are running or walking out the door then no. I own a handgun but do not want to kill. That is 99% of America. Please look beyond the headlines.
Again, you have failed to answer many questions posed! - As I expected!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Violent crime rates (all types) have been falling for 35 years in the US. Unbelievable I Know if you only look at headlines. And yes there are more guns now than 35 years ago.
Correlation does not imply causation.

It'd be interesting to know what the guns per capita is - the population has grown considerably in that period of time. Is the rate at which guns go out of use/circulation higher or lower than the rate of births/deaths/immigration?

You don't need to pardon capitals for Jack, he loves them, more the merrier.
Bored liberal

Go back a step. If there were fewer guns in circulation, there would be less gun crime and less perceived 'need' for people like you to own guns. Can't you see that it's insidious?
BE Enthusiast

Please read posts properly before replying to them. If you'd like to re-read my post, I never said that Americans who own a hand gun 'want' to kill, I said that they were prepared to, and you've just agreed with me that you are. If you shoot someone with a handgun, for whatever reason, you cannot do so without accepting that you may kill them.

Last edited by the_red_sheep; Jul 26th 2012 at 9:42 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow
I find this fascinating. A country in which there is a strong Christian tradition and the figures for believers and church attendance is high. A religion which has 10 commandments, one of which is 'Thou shalt not kill' but where many people support doing just that.

Having a death penalty is therefore hypocrisy.
The church of England, Killed many for centuries. I DO NOT want to criticize England on this site. I support the death penalty yet am not a christian nor any other sect or cult. P.S. Attendance has been falling for decades in most of the US.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How the man on the street reacts. In some ways I get it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-2...ssacre/4155336
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Correlation does not imply causation.

It'd be interesting to know what the guns per capita is - the population has grown considerably in that period of time. Is the rate at which guns go out of use/circulation higher or lower than the rate of births/deaths/immigration?

You don't need to pardon capitals for Jack, he loves them, more the merrier.
Thanks for that, but in English we say 'Cause' not 'Causation!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.