British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   MH17 gah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mh17-gah-838951/)

OriginalSunshine Jul 17th 2014 7:37 pm

MH17 gah

Cr@p. awful news. Have taken that flight too many times, and am scared I have friends on it. :(

soukie Jul 17th 2014 9:25 pm

Re: MH17 gah

Shocking news - my thoughts are with the families of those on board.

mikelincs Jul 17th 2014 9:33 pm

There will be a lot more about this, there were Americans, Brits and other Europeans on the flight.

talulamercedes Jul 18th 2014 4:07 am

Awful awful news. I cannot imagine what the families of those on board are going through. My father lives in Kiev, his company has put everyone on standby to leave the country whilst they wait to see how this develops.

Kim67 Jul 18th 2014 4:11 am

Over 100 of the passengers were travelling to Melbourne, Australia for an international AIDS conference. One of the leading research scientists in the world was on board. Numbers from each country are at this time:

According to a statement published on the airline’s website Thursday night passenger nationalities were as follows: 154 Dutch; 43 citizens of Malaysia; 27 from Australia; 12 from Indonesia; 9 from the United Kingdom; 4 each from Germany and Belgium; 3 from the Philippines; and on from Canada. The nationalities of 41 victims are still unverified.Malaysia Airline Updated Passenger List: Three Infants Among 298 Dead

mikelincs Jul 18th 2014 7:03 am

It now appears that the 'black box' has been taken to Russia, which does seem to point to some Russian involvement. A recorded voice transmission from some of the rebles claimed that they had just shot down a Ukrainian military plane, in the same area and at the same time asw the airliner was shot down.
I'm very sorry for all the lives lost, and sincerely hope that none of the BE memebrs were on that flight.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2014 7:56 am

Horrid news. Thoughts are with the families and I sincerely hope those responsible face justice.

Inselaffen Jul 18th 2014 9:24 am

Horrible news. Think Putin has a lot of blood on his hands from this incident!

shiva Jul 18th 2014 4:00 pm

Somebody has a lot of blood on their hands anyway. No way was this an accident or mistaken identity

Boomhauer Jul 19th 2014 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11340545)
Somebody has a lot of blood on their hands anyway. No way was this an accident or mistaken identity

I believe strongly it was an accident , because there is no reason for either side to attack a commercial airliner . All sides know it is very bad PR and invites international punishment to be caught deliberately attacking a passenger plane .

Due to Western opposition to Russia and pro Russian rebels, it would be a very difficult task for Pro Russian rebels to down the airliner deliberately then pin it on the Ukrainians.

shiva Jul 19th 2014 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11341584)
I believe strongly it was an accident , because there is no reason for either side to attack a commercial airliner . All sides know it is very bad PR and invites international punishment to be caught deliberately attacking a passenger plane .

Due to Western opposition to Russia and pro Russian rebels, it would be a very difficult task for Pro Russian rebels to down the airliner deliberately then pin it on the Ukrainians.

Somebody tried to shoot down a big plane at altitude. SAMs don't just go off or there would be planes being shot down daily.