British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Metallica confirmed for Yas Island gig/F1 act (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/metallica-confirmed-yas-island-gig-f1-act-732140/)

auzdafluff Sep 13th 2011 3:21 am

Metallica confirmed for Yas Island gig/F1 act

Looks like Metallica have confirmed they will be one of the acts playing at this year's F1.

We're continuing to find firsts in 2011 as we are extremely excited to announce that we will be playing in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates next month on October 25 at Yas Island. After 30 years of travel to all corners of the earth, this one is extra special as the show kicks off a week of new territories for us as this show will be followed by two nights in India.

Tickets will go on sale very soon. Check back shortly for ticketing details.
Click here for more!

I have some fond memories of watching Metallica, including chatting to a guy from the US Navy who was in full ceremonial gear and had gone AWOL into the Yorkshire countryside (Leeds festival) in order to be able to watch them. :rofl:

Looks like I'll be going to the F1 this year for certain.

kaz lou abu dhabi Sep 13th 2011 4:47 am

Re: Metallica confirmed for Yas Island gig/F1 act

That quote states October 25th - F1 is in November

NorthernLad Sep 13th 2011 4:56 am

Another 14 days before they announce the acts:

http://www.yasalam.ae/

Oyibopeppeh Sep 13th 2011 7:55 am

Tickets are on sale now:

http://thinkflash.ae/

csdf Sep 13th 2011 9:36 am

Tickets are on sale now:
The Metallica documentary (Some Kind of Monster) is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 13th 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 9617782)
Tickets are on sale now:
The Metallica documentary (Some Kind of Monster) is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

I'd be tempted to call it "Some kind of bullshit", purely for the bit where the Ginger Whinger waxes lyrical :lol:

auzdafluff Sep 13th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by kaz lou abu dhabi (Post 9617485)
That quote states October 25th - F1 is in November

Yeah, ignore me. I hadn't had my morning accuracy coffee yet :p

Norm_uk Sep 13th 2011 7:04 pm

Metallica haven't done heavy metal and thrash since the black album...bunch of sell outs.

N.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 13th 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9618894)
Metallica haven't done heavy metal and thrash since the black album...bunch of sell outs.

N.

Metallica's last Thrash album was Ride The Lightning in 1984

Death Magnetic is a true, full bloodied, metal album. That was just your life.

Don't go there unless you have a little more knowledge on the subject.

Norm_uk Sep 13th 2011 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9618911)
Metallica's last Thrash album was Ride The Lightning in 1984

Death Magnetic is a true, full bloodied, metal album. That was just your life.

Don't go there unless you have a little more knowledge on the subject.

This is as much opinion as it is knowledge. :)

Master of Puppets was most certainly thrash...as was ...and Justice for All.

N.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 14th 2011 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9619252)
This is as much opinion as it is knowledge. :)

Master of Puppets was most certainly thrash...as was ...and Justice for All.

N.

Master - possibly the odd one or two tracks. Justice, never. There's not even any bass there.

Large Oilrig and Hetfield copied Diamond Head's riffs and made them faster, which doesn't make them Thrash. The only true Thrash band of the time was Slayer.

My opinion ;)

Spugsy Sep 14th 2011 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9619665)
Master - possibly the odd one or two tracks. Justice, never. There's not even any bass there.

Large Oilrig and Hetfield copied Diamond Head's riffs and made them faster, which doesn't make them Thrash. The only true Thrash band of the time was Slayer.

My opinion ;)

Last time I saw them was the ...And Justice for All tour in Newcastle with Danzig supporting, one of the best gigs of my life.

I do fancy going for old times sake.

Spugsy Sep 14th 2011 5:28 am

My opinion ;)

They were real thrash, saw them 3 times, amazing.

RDP80 Sep 14th 2011 4:08 pm

My opinion ;)

Not a bad opinion, but I think the only consistent major thrash band of those days was Exodus, and they still are. An absolutely genius band. Hmm come to think of it, even Testament were well ahead against Slayer if you wanted pure thrash. Slayer, IMHO, really only started thrashing with Reign in Blood and evolved to a very distinctive sound that to be honest no one else has managed to replicate/imitate. Probably classed as thrash, but really in a class of their own I think.

\m/ \m/

Oyibopeppeh Sep 14th 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by RDP80 (Post 9621011)
Not a bad opinion, but I think the only consistent major thrash band of those days was Exodus, and they still are. An absolutely genius band. Hmm come to think of it, even Testament were well ahead against Slayer if you wanted pure thrash. Slayer, IMHO, really only started thrashing with Reign in Blood and evolved to a very distinctive sound that to be honest no one else has managed to replicate/imitate. Probably classed as thrash, but really in a class of their own I think.

\m/ \m/

Yes, I agree that Exodus were damn good, but it all started getting rather silly with all the "we can riff faster than you can" crap.

Back to the Slayer - I was at Download in err 2005 (I think) when Dave Lombardo sat on the drum stool when Oilrig threw his wobblie. What a gig.....:thumbup: