British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Messenger shut down - 15th March (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/messenger-shut-down-15th-march-789329/)

Millhouse Mar 4th 2013 7:38 am

Messenger shut down - 15th March

What will you use instead?

I must say, it's a bit of an end of an era for me. A defining point in my puberty was camming with a girl in Korea. I wonder what the kids today will be using.

britexpat76 Mar 4th 2013 7:39 am

Re: Messenger shut down - 15th March

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10581814)

I must say, it's a bit of an end of an era for me. A defining point in my puberty was camming with a girl in Korea. I wonder what the kids today will be using.

Chat Roulette.

Kix Mar 4th 2013 7:42 am

A cynical move by microsoft to force you into using Skype where they can get revenue.

Having said that, why should they supply a service for free?

Millhouse Mar 4th 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10581818)
Having said that, why should they supply a service for free?

messenger was full of adverts.

shiva Mar 4th 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10581820)
messenger was full of adverts.

it was also shite hence its died a death

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2013 8:06 am

That was my secondary school evenings. On it all night chatting to girls (all boys school does that to you).

Irishbeekeeper Mar 4th 2013 3:10 pm

well technically (and im just saying this from an IT point of spew) you can use the same msn username password on skype and get all your contacts shifted over to skype, may take a while (2-3 hours) but it will happen. Ofcourse your old contacts need to shift over to skype pretty soon as well, u know

but having said that, MSN have been having HUGE glitch issues in the past few weeks where people who have already migrated over to skype now either cant see their old contacts online, or cant see their new contacts online or sometimes see them offline but are infact online so when messaged, they automatically come online for you sitraey sitraey sitra (movie reference, sorry)

Its a huge mess really. I was frankly surprised that for a company like Microsoft they allowed something so huge to happen but more surprising is the fact that none of the News Agencies have picked up on this yet. What makes it worse is once migrated, you cannot go back, so your sort of like stuck in internet limbo where everyones offline for you and you are offline for everyone. Maybe it will be sorted by 15th march, lets see.

I myself gave up on msn when i started getting continuous spam messages from this lady named willowsomething, EVERY time i turned MSN on telling me she just had a shower. I mean how dirty can one get ffs!

NorthernLad Mar 4th 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10581814)

We use MS Communicator at work...very good tool and depending on corp policies can chat to people outside your company.

Millhouse Mar 4th 2013 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10582872)
We use MS Communicator at work...very good tool and depending on corp policies can chat to people outside your company.

I bet it needs admin rights to install.

We are locked in a sametime/ lotus notes time-warp hell.

NorthernLad Mar 4th 2013 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10582894)
I bet it needs admin rights to install.

We are locked in a sametime/ lotus notes time-warp hell.

Yeah it does, also needs security to allow outside access. I use it to chat to ex-colleagues who use MSN messenger. Not sure what will happen after 15th.

Blue Cat Mar 5th 2013 11:16 am

never used Messenger but I do use What's app a lot these days, is it a similar type of thing?

Inselaffen Mar 5th 2013 11:54 am

use(d) messenger a lot especially dealing with Chinese clients. less painful than trying to understand them on the phone

alfrombarking Mar 5th 2013 2:21 pm

WhatsApp

Spugsy Mar 5th 2013 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10582619)
well technically (and im just saying this from an IT point of spew) you can use the same msn username password on skype and get all your contacts shifted over to skype, may take a while (2-3 hours) but it will happen. Ofcourse your old contacts need to shift over to skype pretty soon as well, u know

but having said that, MSN have been having HUGE glitch issues in the past few weeks where people who have already migrated over to skype now either cant see their old contacts online, or cant see their new contacts online or sometimes see them offline but are infact online so when messaged, they automatically come online for you sitraey sitraey sitra (movie reference, sorry)

Its a huge mess really. I was frankly surprised that for a company like Microsoft they allowed something so huge to happen but more surprising is the fact that none of the News Agencies have picked up on this yet. What makes it worse is once migrated, you cannot go back, so your sort of like stuck in internet limbo where everyones offline for you and you are offline for everyone. Maybe it will be sorted by 15th march, lets see.

I myself gave up on msn when i started getting continuous spam messages from this lady named willowsomething, EVERY time i turned MSN on telling me she just had a shower. I mean how dirty can one get ffs!

I get spam all the time on yahoo with people with stupid names trying to add me or sending me stupid messages.

Brains1983 Mar 5th 2013 5:08 pm

Oh, that's a little sad. I met my wife when we were working for the same company, albeit in different countries. MSN played its part in our "courtship" at weekends and evenings. I guess tehcnology moves on though.