Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Message for Bob and Moderators etc.......

Message for Bob and Moderators etc.......

Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Message for Bob and Moderators etc.......

STOP 'SNIPPING' MY POSTS.........

I have worked for 30 years in the financial markets - I know the rules. Reuters, Dow Jones, Bloomberg, etc ALL permit you to quote them in full - AS LONG AS YOU IDENTIFY THE SOURCE.

They WANT you to quote them - they are news media organisations who WANT their stuff circulated as widely as possible.

If you don't believe me go to the Reuters website and it's all there.

Now stop it, you're winding me up............ :curse: not
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Message for Bob and Moderators etc.......

Originally Posted by The Dean
STOP 'SNIPPING' MY POSTS.........

I have worked for 30 years in the financial markets - I know the rules. Reuters, Dow Jones, Bloomberg, etc ALL permit you to quote them in full - AS LONG AS YOU IDENTIFY THE SOURCE.

They WANT you to quote them - they are news media organisations who WANT their stuff circulated as widely as possible.

If you don't believe me go to the Reuters website and it's all there.

Now stop it, you're winding me up............ :curse: not
Rule 7........

Its not up to the Mods to check every ones sources, better to exclude the lot. Rules are Rules. But they might just enjoy winding you up after a long day.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:05 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Rule 7........

Its not up to the Mods to check every ones sources, better to exclude the lot. Rules are Rules.
The quoting BBC articles, Wiki pages, and other resources on the net should be excluded. Where does it stop? You can quote financial data without getting into trouble. As long as you state the source then your are golden. Besides, when you consider it's financial data, the information has already changed and the anyone benefiting from it is wise to get updated info directly from Reuters, Thomas Financials, Bloomberg, your Financial Consultant, CNBC, Dow Jones, NASDQ, FTSE,....and so on. No foul no crime. By the way, I used to work in the financial industry myself.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The quoting BBC articles, Wiki pages, and other resources on the net should be excluded. Where does it stop? You can quote financial data without getting into trouble. As long as you state the source then your are golden. Besides, when you consider it's financial data, the information has already changed and the anyone benefiting from it is wise to get updated info directly from Reuters, Thomas Financials, Bloomberg, your Financial Consultant, CNBC, Dow Jones, NASDQ, FTSE,....and so on. No foul no crime. By the way, I used to work in the financial industry myself.
I find the easiest solution to provide a link saves the Mods time which helps them it not like they are getting paid and it doesn't hurt people to read the article directly.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:12 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I find the easiest solution to provide a link saves the Mods time which helps them it not like they are getting paid and it doesn't hurt people to read the article directly.
You can do it for articles yes. But who's to say Google, or Yahoo, or Wikipedia, or Foodtv, is not paying the rest of us when we quote their sources...hmmmm??? In the case of market data it's difficult to provided a link especially when it involves market prices since that data is changing constantly. For items like market reports then a link can be provided and is most likely available through those financial outlets like I've stated. There are some items that you have to have a subscription fee for such as Morningstar reports.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:22 pm

You can do it for articles yes. But who's to say Google, or Yahoo, or Wikipedia, or Foodtv, is not paying the rest of us when we quote their sources...hmmmm??? In the case of market data it's difficult to provided a link especially when it involves market prices since that data is changing constantly. For items like market reports then a link can be provided and is most likely available through those financial outlets like I've stated. There are some items that you have to have a subscription fee for such as Morningstar reports.
If you pay a subscription fee to view the data then i would of thought it would be in their terms and conditions about reposting the information and thus a form of infringement. Otherwise they wouldn't charge for the data. At the end of the day BE has to cover it's arse otherwise a liable case could result in someone thinking they are doing someone else a favour.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:30 pm
Riding on silver wings

If you pay a subscription fee to view the data then i would of thought it would be in their terms and conditions about reposting the information and thus a form of infringement. Otherwise they wouldn't charge for the data. At the end of the day BE has to cover it's arse otherwise a liable case could result in someone thinking they are doing someone else a favour.
Are you missing the parallels that I'm making with other sites as well? You can go to Reuters and get same information without cost. Market data is free off the Web. What financial firms pay for is the freshest or the most immediate data. You can find the same online about a minute or two behind what the brokers get but it's all free at the end of the day. Companies can not hide their financial data from the public due to SEC regulations and the Sarbanes Oxley act here in the US. Everything must be made public. So if anyone were to quote market data for a specific company it would not be provided through a certain company. However there are things that are on a subscription basis that a broker will never put online. That's information that gives the broker the edge in the field. A field thats driven by commission only salaries. He'd or she would never give up that information.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:34 pm

Are you missing the parallels that I'm making with other sites as well? You can go to Reuters and get same information without cost. Market data is free off the Web. What financial firms pay for is the freshest or the most immediate data. You can find the same online about a minute or two behind what the brokers get but it's all free at the end of the day. Companies can not hide their financial data from the public due to SEC regulations and the Sarbanes Oxley act here in the US. Everything must be made public. So if anyone were to quote market data for a specific company it would not be provided through a certain company. However there are things that are on a subscription basis that a broker will never put online. That's information that gives the broker the edge in the field. A field thats driven by commission only salaries. He'd or she would never give up that information.
Yes but..what im saying is its not the Mods job to check every bit of data and the validity of the source so instead of allowing some from here and there and none from other places. An across the board policy is in place which is the best policy for site management.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

Yes but..what im saying is its not the Mods job to check every bit of data and the validity of the source so instead of allowing some from here and there and none from other places. An across the board policy is in place which is the best policy for site management.
Hmmmm...did we just take this guy's complaint and run with it? LOL There's not much consequence to us is there.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:42 pm

Hmmmm...did we just take this guy's complaint and run with it? LOL There's not much consequence to us is there.

These things happen, I notice that none of the Mods have commented on the complaint of the Op.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

These things happen, I notice that none of the Mods have commented on the complaint of the Op.
They might have done so privately. Who knows huh? Have you gone to Duxford yet?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:47 pm

They might have done so privately. Who knows huh? Have you gone to Duxford yet?
The weekend after next, Cant wait the best bit is looking for bits of aeroplane to buy. Still cant make up my mind which camera to buy. But the Nikon D60 does come with a Lens which should be suitable for the day.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stop moaning about it, it's the rules, it's done for all articles, it's not like all the mods or admin have time to check the copyright of everything that someone copy and pastes.

Plus it's tedious, a synopsis and a link is more than a enough, it's not like we're a news aggregating service.