British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The MENA region - do my work for me (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mena-region-do-my-work-me-711415/)

Millhouse Mar 30th 2011 9:37 am

The MENA region - do my work for me

I'm currently doing a bit of research on the MENA region and have decided to poll a bunch of faceless internet strangers most of whom I have never met for their thoughts.

I know some of you work outside of the Emirates, and some outside of the GCC. My questions are therefore:

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how?
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC?
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time?
4) Have insurance costs increased?

I would be particularly interested in hearing the views of those in construction industry and those responsible for recruitment (all industries).

Cheers,

PS> Norm - for this one, the 3 line post rule if off. I need material.

Millhouse Mar 30th 2011 2:26 pm

Re: The MENA region - do my work for me

come on people - someone must have a view, even if it is just a piss take.

Meow Mar 30th 2011 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9273783)
I'm currently doing a bit of research on the MENA region and have decided to poll a bunch of faceless internet strangers most of whom I have never met for their thoughts.

I know some of you work outside of the Emirates, and some outside of the GCC. My questions are therefore:

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how? I have had to postpone my holiday to Damascus. Most annoying. (More seriously, some effect on client confidence in markets generally)
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC? No. We're UAE focused
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time? Yes. Yes. Quite some time
4) Have insurance costs increased? For personal insurances yes, for people travelling to the countries with issues

I would be particularly interested in hearing the views of those in construction industry and those responsible for recruitment (all industries). I'm in neither, but I was once a Girl Guide and like to be helpful
Cheers,

I'm not ignoring you Milli

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 30th 2011 2:57 pm

2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC?
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time?

I would be particularly interested in hearing the views of those in construction industry and those responsible for recruitment (all industries).

Cheers,

1) No
2) Yes, the company I am coming to work for I used to be a part of, the ME division soon took North Africa off us when we started making money placing candidates on major construction and infrastructure projects in the likes of Libya. The ME business unit was entirely Dubai focused because it was easier money, jobs in Saudi and the like soon then became a priority and worth recruiting for.
3) Lots of green shoots in the UK and thats with cuts being announced left right and centre. I don't know enough about the UAE market yet to pass comment but I expect that there is enough work in more sensible projects in Abu Dhabi and carefully chosen ones in Dubai to keep the UAE moving, I will be focusing my efforts more towards other countries in the GCC for work.
4) I've never insured anything there.

(I recruit in Construction / Infrastructure for your reference)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 30th 2011 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9274336)
1) No
2) Yes, the company I am coming to work for I used to be a part of, the ME division soon took North Africa off us when we started making money placing candidates on major construction and infrastructure projects in the likes of Libya. The ME business unit was entirely Dubai focused because it was easier money, jobs in Saudi and the like soon then became a priority and worth recruiting for.
3) Lots of green shoots in the UK and thats with cuts being announced left right and centre. I don't know enough about the UAE market yet to pass comment but I expect that there is enough work in more sensible projects in Abu Dhabi and carefully chosen ones in Dubai to keep the UAE moving, I will be focusing my efforts more towards other countries in the GCC for work.
4) I've never insured anything there.

(I recruit in Construction / Infrastructure for your reference)

When I say 'no' for the first one, it's more an 'I don't know, yet'.

Millhouse Mar 30th 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks Meow & Scutter - much appreciated - this is helpful.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 30th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9274379)
Thanks Meow & Scutter - much appreciated - this is helpful.

Send me your address and I'll post the invoice.:thumbsup:

Welivehere Mar 30th 2011 4:20 pm

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how? Yes reduced spend; plus we have withdrawn staff from those regions affected. Sales travel also limited. Companies in the countries affected also somewhat reluctant to make decisions
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC? Short term no major strategic plans but we remain flexible if it persists
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time? Yes, yes and the path to recovery / period is to sweeping to cover in a few lines. Personally I think it will in the most part be dependent on the severity of the problem and the outcome of the issues on a country by country basis. For instance those countries where the popular party won over (i.e. Egypt) I think recovery can be relatively quick. Those countries with more hostile and persistent issues will take years to recover fully if at all.
4) Have insurance costs increased? See Meow's response, I am not incovolved personally but would also guess Financing and credit insurance cost woudl also have risen

My two penneth worth

Bahtatboy Mar 31st 2011 5:20 am

Marginally, in terms of enhanced procedures when travelling, and temporary travel bans.
No, just tactics.
In some countries it will take a long time--Syria, for example, where I think there will be a long struggle. Egypt also faces severe risks in respect of its political and social readjustment.
We operate mainly in O&G and Power, and haven't really seen any problems in our market. Saudi, for one, will probably increase spending on its infrastructure projects as a way of providing opportunities for its unemployed, which is probably its biggest risk.
Not yet.

weasel central Mar 31st 2011 7:08 am

My thoughts..

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how? Yes two cancelled projects in Syria, one suspended in Cairo, one suspended in Libya and one under review in Yemen.
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC? No strategy change, wait and see approach.

3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time? Cairo seems like it will be fine shortly, Syria not in the medium term, Yemen not ever (I think) and Libya hells no for construction but maybe for O & G

4) Have insurance costs increased? Not for us because at any point in time we are in some country in the world with trouble

Cheers,

Sandboy Mar 31st 2011 7:53 am

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how? -yes, we had to charter a plane to lift expats from Cairo - and subsequently the Regional President has now set up home in Dubai. We also got downgraded by S+P because of our exposure to the region
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC? - bit of a wait and see at the moment, may affect future plans though, all very fluid at present
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time? -
if I knew that I'd be rich
4) Have insurance costs increased? - no idea

Millhouse Mar 31st 2011 8:06 am

Thanks everyone who has contributed so far - this is really helpful. Like it or not, the wider MENA region affects us all (even if we don't think it does it will). 380million people all grumbling and uprising and holding the bulk of the world's useful resources - things are changin'

Sandboy - are you a contractor? I forget.

Sandboy Mar 31st 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9276188)
Thanks everyone who has contributed so far - this is really helpful. Like it or not, the wider MENA region affects us all (even if we don't think it does it will). 380million people all grumbling and uprising and holding the bulk of the world's useful resources - things are changin'

Sandboy - are you a contractor? I forget.

construction supplies

flares Mar 31st 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9276192)
construction supplies

Building site in Beijing. Mr Wong is sent away to get supplies. Comes back in to the site office and says 'Boo!!...supplies'

K8-notlate Mar 31st 2011 11:52 am

1) Has the Arab Spring affected you? If so, how? Yes - travel has been impacted and business in two markets is reduced.
2) Have you or your company changed its strategy with respect to MENA / parts of the GCC? - Expansion plans for two markets are now on hold until next year - we are focusing on existing markets, which is becoming a little limiting.
3) When do you think things will settle down? Will these markets ever open up again? If so, what do you think the path to recovery and over what time? Things will settle down, and I personally think that the markets will open up, even more so than in the past - they will have to. The path to recovery will be a protracted one - these guys wanted change, but they didn't think about what would come after and there is a lost of internal healing to be done before these countries will be ready to deal with the wider world - sorry if that sounds a little fluffy BTW
4) Have insurance costs increased? Not yet, but then this has always been a risky region.

Hope that helps towards your research