British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Men are from Mars... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/men-mars-556778/)

Madam Medusa Aug 22nd 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Men are from Mars...

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6704390)
proves just how stupid they are doesnt it?:rofl:

awww...some of them are ok...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Aug 22nd 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6704394)

MM, xx

when they are asleep :)

MissDemeanor Aug 22nd 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6704394)

MM, xx

prove it!:rofl:

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2008 1:54 pm

Ahh yes, John Gray! The well renouned evolution psychologist...

...who has never actually conducted propper research and got his degree (In relationship counselling, not psychology) from a “University” closed by court order...:confused:

...but knows a lot about how the sexes interact...

...from the 10 years he spent as a Hindu monk...:confused:

I could go on but I'm sure you get my point ;).

It really is just “Pop psychology”. It's a very good example of how you can cover all the subtleties of a vast and complex topic like behavioral and evolutionary psychology with just a few sweeping generalities missing out the tedious, but necessary, detail to develop a full bottom up understanding of what motivates us all.

If you are interested in the subject I recommend “The Essential Difference: The Truth about the Male and Female Brain” by Simon Baron-Cohen and/or “Sex and Cognition” by Doreen Kimura (Listed in order of preference) written (Beautifully if I may say so myself) by people who are both amongst the foremost experts in their field :thumbsup:.

If I'm harsh on John Gray it's only because he is an inept idiot of an author writing about something he obviously has a shallow understanding of (at best) :mad:, don't let his views alone poison yours because this field of research is rapidly advancing and fascinating when explored by experts :thumbsup:.

Dutchie Aug 22nd 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6704432)
Ahh yes, John Gray! The well renouned evolution psychologist...

...who has never actually conducted propper research and got his degree (In relationship counselling, not psychology) from a “University” closed by court order...:confused:

...but knows a lot about how the sexes interact...

...from the 10 years he spent as a Hindu monk...:confused:

I could go on but I'm sure you get my point ;).

It really is just “Pop psychology”. It's a very good example of how you can cover all the subtleties of a vast and complex topic like behavioral and evolutionary psychology with just a few sweeping generalities missing out the tedious, but necessary, detail to develop a full bottom up understanding of what motivates us all.

If you are interested in the subject I recommend “The Essential Difference: The Truth about the Male and Female Brain” by Simon Baron-Cohen and/or “Sex and Cognition” by Doreen Kimura (Listed in order of preference) written (Beautifully if I may say so myself) by people who are both amongst the foremost experts in their field :thumbsup:.

If I'm harsh on John Gray it's only because he is an inept idiot of an author writing about something he obviously has a shallow understanding of (at best) :mad:, don't let his views alone poison yours because this field of research is rapidly advancing and fascinating when explored by experts :thumbsup:.

And it's 2 - 1 for the males on this board. ;)

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6704502)
And it's 2 - 1 for the males on this board. ;)

:rofl:

I agree with MH when she described men as "weird, illogical and selfish" but not just men as it turns out. If you read deeper into the subject you realise that what appeared 'illogical' and 'weird' often has a very valid and logical basis but often the context has been lost though the rapid changes in human environment, even to the extent that people are selfish for very good reason!

We are the way not to be delibratly facetious or provocative but because we are beautiful biological systems designed to deal with a world that no longer exists or problems that are not immediatly obvious on the surface.

Dutchie Aug 22nd 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6704555)
:rofl:

I agree with MH when she described men as "weird, illogical and selfish" but not just men as it turns out. If you read deeper into the subject you realise that what appeared 'illogical' and 'weird' often has a very valid and logical basis but often the context has been lost though the rapid changes in human environment, even to the extent that people are selfish for very good reason!

We are the way not to be delibratly facetious or provocative but because we are beautiful biological systems designed to deal with a world that no longer exists or problems that are not immediatly obvious on the surface.

It's like Darwin once said "The beautiful game of constant adaptation of what was once an Ape species in an ever changing environment...." With the classical male and female roles in society slowly but constantly fading away, the battle between the sexes to hold ground will always exist.

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2008 3:08 pm

Mind you Dutchie he has managed to flog 15 million books, maybe we should cash in and write a feel good pop psychology book on the subject as well. Even at 50c a book profit we'll be rolling in it!

Maybe I was a bit quick to judge John Gray after all!

Dutchie Aug 22nd 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6704689)
Mind you Dutchie he has managed to flog 15 million books, maybe we should cash in and write a feel good pop psychology book on the subject as well. Even at 50c a book profit we'll be rolling in it!

Maybe I was a bit quick to judge John Gray after all!

Hahaha... Or write one on the mysteries of female logic. Now there's a mega bestseller even before it's written. ;)

Confucius Aug 22nd 2008 7:11 pm

What a load of crapola...
Some women don't understand men...
Some men don't understand women...
Some women don't understand other women...
And some men don't understand other men...
It's been the way of the world since the dinosaurs!!!

MataHari Aug 23rd 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6705388)

I don't understand what you mean...

Confucius Aug 23rd 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6706894)
I don't understand what you mean...

Nothing new...

shakh your bootie Aug 23rd 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6705388)

Me, I don't even understand myself.....

As for the rest of you, I'm far from convinced that you substantiate any corporeal existence.....

Charismatic Aug 23rd 2008 11:55 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 6707132)
I'm far from convinced that you substantiate any corporeal existence.....

F:curse:ck, we've been rumbled!

Does it really matter if we are of tangible, physical properties or an illusion since the illusion is real to you? Cue a philosophy thread!

Confucius Aug 23rd 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 6707132)
Me, I don't even understand myself.....

As for the rest of you, I'm far from convinced that you substantiate any corporeal existence.....

I get you, brothah...