British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Men know best under Sharia & UAE Law (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/men-know-best-under-sharia-uae-law-840444/)

mikewot Aug 7th 2014 1:56 pm

Men know best under Sharia & UAE Law

Women must receive permission of guardian to remarry | The National

Emirati widows and divorcees have voiced their dismay at being told they cannot remarry without the consent of a male guardian – often their own sons.
The requirement is derived from Sharia, and has been federal law since 2005. Some lawyers say it is outdated and should be amended, but others say it is necessary to protect sometimes vulnerable women, and “men know better”.

One Emirati divorcee, 51, is considering a trip abroad after being told she required the consent of her son, 26, to remarry. “My son has agreed,” she said, “but I don’t want to bring him to court to sign the marriage contract. I’m a grown woman and his mother. How can I have my son come to court and marry me off?”

Another woman, a Palestinian-Canadian, 40, has found her married future with “the love of my life” is also in the hands of her son – who is 11.
“I went to court to get married and the judge told me I was not allowed to without my father,” she said. “When I told him I had no one in the country he asked me if I had a son. I told him I did but he was only 11 years old.”
The boy will be eligible to be a guardian when he comes of age.
“My son didn’t understand what was happening and came with me the next day. The judge asked him in Arabic if he hit puberty. He didn’t understand and asked him what the word meant.”
Her son was asked to raise his arm to see if he had any underarm hair as an indication that he had reached puberty.
“He didn’t know what was happening and it was embarrassing and humiliating. This law is a disgrace. I’m a grown woman and should be allowed to make my own decisions."

Mr Elhais, like most other lawyers, insists the guardian system is in the best interests of women.
Dr Shakir Al Marzouqi, from Dr Shakir Matouq Advocate and Legal Consults, said “men know better”.
“In the bigger picture it is the men who know more and a woman’s father, brother or son cares for her interest more than her own self.”

Maxima Aug 8th 2014 7:11 am

Re: Men know best under Sharia & UAE Law

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11361440)

Her son was asked to raise his arm to see if he had any underarm hair as an indication that he had reached puberty.

.”

:huh:
:ohmy:

alfrombarking Aug 9th 2014 1:46 pm

but this is not in the Quran as far as I know

from Islamic sharia, the consent is between bride and groom since in Islam, religion comes first before culture and otherwise.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 9th 2014 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 11363621)
but this is not in the Quran as far as I know

from Islamic sharia, the consent is between bride and groom since in Islam, religion comes first before culture and otherwise.

:goodpost:
true on both accounts

this is the wahab nutter thinking of not letting women do anything other than cook, clean, beget children and then cook and clean for them

Irishbeekeeper Aug 10th 2014 8:01 am

HA! now THIS is priceless!! you cant make it up even if you tried to..

Saudi men need wives' consent to marry Moroccan woman | GulfNews.com

Meow Aug 10th 2014 9:08 am

Men know best?

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahaha....

Bloody ridiculous. All of it.

redShark Aug 10th 2014 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11364112)
Men know best?

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahaha....

Bloody ridiculous. All of it.

It can be ridiculous, but these practices go to show what actually happens when zealousy overrides common sense.

But to be honest, such phenomenon is not peculiar to this part of the world only. In every society and culture there exist some ideas and indeed practices that can come across as laughable and ridicules to other cultures in the world.

Take for example gay screening techniques in some part of the world . Well, apparently in those parts of world the old method of probing has now been replaced with the Virtual Reality screening method where multimedia materials and private parts sensors are utilized. To the Muslims world such kind of news is just more than simply laughable.

alfrombarking Aug 10th 2014 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11364157)
There are four major schools of jurisprudence in Islam - the body of Sharia law is not just derived from the quran but also recognised hadiths and the rulings of prominent scholars in each school. Add to this the body of civil law in countries that recognise Sharia and it becomes more complex.

Since Sharia is part of Islam it is an Islamic practice (at least in whatever school of thought the sheikh who ruled it in the first place belongs to) until overridden by him or someone suitably more male and scholarly.

N.

I concur with what you're saying. From my understanding majority of Muslims (migrants from Asia are Hanafis while the official madhab of the UAE Govt is Maliki so they would derive their rulings from Imam Malik (I will look into which references they cave out for their rulings on this particular case)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dhhab_Map2.png

I also agree with you that its embarrassing to say the least & the madhabi scholars/Ulema are too busy cuddling the royal family that's why they wouldn't speak out on the human rights violations and the like.

I think women have a very long way to go in these countries.

mikewot Aug 11th 2014 3:24 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 11364641)
Take for example gay screening techniques in some part of the world . Well, apparently in those parts of world the old method of probing has now been replaced with the Virtual Reality screening method where multimedia materials and private parts sensors are utilized. To the Muslims world such kind of news is just more than simply laughable.

This 'news' story has already been debunked. And it was muslim run countries who allegedly introduced it, most Europeans couldn't care less what you do with your pee pee in private. Muslims (and most religions) seem extraordinarily fascinated by other peoples sex lives.

mikewot Aug 11th 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 11364700)
I think women have a very long way to go in these countries.

And in other news if you stand in the rain you'll get wet.