Meltdowns - how often?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meltdowns - how often?

Originally Posted by lullabelle
So, after throwing a humungous, toddler style tantrum in the kitchen today I wondered how often people really lose it here. I'm quite fiery and flare up quickly but I seldom lose the plot like this morning. Maybe once every few years. But I've had three since august - two due to stupid arse shite involving the family visas and school fees payments (again they were at the end of various other bureaucratic bollocks and just tipped me) and this morning's gas cooker fandango.

Contrast that with one major serious rage incident in several years in the uk - and that was down to something really serious and terrifying (son had a stroke, local a&e negligent)

Am I the only one who loses the plot more easily here? Am I the only one who really NEEDS a medicinal gin of an evening? Am I the only one who throws paper about and then kicks the cooker out of sheer frustration and helplessness?
How long have you been in the ME? I think that the longer you are here the easier you will find it as long as you accept that it is nothing like the West. They do things differently, if at all, and that's just the way it is. It can be extremely frustrating but getting upset achieves very little. If you can learn to laugh at the idiocy then you'll help your blood pressure and sanity.

Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
How long have you been in the ME? I think that the longer you are here the easier you will find it as long as you accept that it is nothing like the West. They do things differently, if at all, and that's just the way it is. It can be extremely frustrating but getting upset achieves very little. If you can learn to laugh at the idiocy then you'll help your blood pressure and sanity.

Good luck
I try to ignore it, if something doesn't work I bin it and get a replacement, saves the hassle of having some idiot try and fix it and 40 phone calls for location etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly.

Get rid of the cooker. Get a new one. Problem solved.

We once needed to replace a door in the villa. It took two weeks and six visits by the landlord's builder to take out one door and replace it with a nearly identical one....

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I try to ignore it, if something doesn't work I bin it and get a replacement, saves the hassle of having some idiot try and fix it and 40 phone calls for location etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

With all the hassle of getting anything done it's hardly a surprise that expats drink and smoke...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
With all the hassle of getting anything done it's hardly a surprise that expats drink and smoke...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
So, after throwing a humungous, toddler style tantrum in the kitchen today I wondered how often people really lose it here. I'm quite fiery and flare up quickly but I seldom lose the plot like this morning. Maybe once every few years. But I've had three since august - two due to stupid arse shite involving the family visas and school fees payments (again they were at the end of various other bureaucratic bollocks and just tipped me) and this morning's gas cooker fandango.

Contrast that with one major serious rage incident in several years in the uk - and that was down to something really serious and terrifying (son had a stroke, local a&e negligent)

Am I the only one who loses the plot more easily here? Am I the only one who really NEEDS a medicinal gin of an evening? Am I the only one who throws paper about and then kicks the cooker out of sheer frustration and helplessness?
I'm a very, very laid back, chilled kind of bloke.

But I need to get out of Dubai every 6 months at least (and twice a year back home if I can) otherwise I feel frustrated and start getting angry.

And as the Hulk once said.....you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

meltdowns are pretty normal in this place. I know so many people that have turned to therapy and seeing a shrink on a regular basis here. I swear this place sends you loopy.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:35 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly do. Never used to crack in the UK... or maybe once every few years, but here, well... it went from every few days when I first arrived to once every month or so now. I find that, more than a drink, I need my "sanity breaks" back to the UK, just to breathe the fresh air and make sure I wasn't actually dreaming when I imagined a population that uses common sense as standard.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

I do think you have to get out of this place on a regular basis or you will go insane!

I'm not surprised that peoples stress levels go through the roof. Also it doesn't surprise me that there is a high percentage of the population with mental illnesses like bi-polar disorder, manic depression and so on here.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I never - ever - lose my temper, under any circumstances.

Nothing is bad enough to make that happen.............
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Endorphin-producing activities tend to help
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I never - ever - lose my temper, under any circumstances.

Nothing is bad enough to make that happen.............
I am 100% with you on this. In fact in an argument I have found it a much more powerful tool to remain ultra claim. It drives the other person insane and to breaking point. The claim person always wins.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I am 100% with you on this. In fact in an argument I have found it a much more powerful tool to remain ultra claim. It drives the other person insane and to breaking point. The claim person always wins.
you can only do that if the argument is about something you don't really care about...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Although it is good to let off steam, if you constantly build things up then when you eventually do explode it'll be a big one. Plus if you don't argue about things, it means you don't really care.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
you can only do that if the argument is about something you don't really care about...
nah... self control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.