British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Medical Insurance / UAE Hospitals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/medical-insurance-uae-hospitals-814728/)

Brains1983 Nov 10th 2013 10:14 am

Medical Insurance / UAE Hospitals

Right, we all know that the hospitals are generally at it in making their money off the insurance companies.

I went to a hospital to check out something on my arm. Blood blister that had never went away. 25mins to get there and park, an hour waiting despite having an appointment, then 30mins for all the family health questions blood pressure, etc, etc. Was told it just needs burned off. To prevent another half days messing around, I said I'd just pay cash and get it done there and then. Hospital refused on the basis that there was a cap on how much they could charge me and that they would make double on the insurance.

WTF! Rant over!

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 10th 2013 10:54 am

Re: Medical Insurance / UAE Hospitals

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10984589)
Right, we all know that the hospitals are generally at it in making their money off the insurance companies.

I went to a hospital to check out something on my arm. Blood blister that had never went away. 25mins to get there and park, an hour waiting despite having an appointment, then 30mins for all the family health questions blood pressure, etc, etc. Was told it just needs burned off. To prevent another half days messing around, I said I'd just pay cash and get it done there and then. Hospital refused on the basis that there was a cap on how much they could charge me and that they would make double on the insurance.

WTF! Rant over!

They're ***** eh?

My mrs had a knock on the bonce, got in there, Scottish doc said "yeah, you're fine, there's no damage, just a nasty bump but you'll be fine..........however, you know what they're like here; I'll check if a CAT scan is available"

10mins wait

"Yeah, your insurance covers it, head upstairs with this guy"

Low and behold....they found **** all, apart from a brain which surprised me. (Doc didn't think that joke was funny).

Brains1983 Nov 10th 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10984634)
They're ***** eh?

My mrs had a knock on the bonce, got in there, Scottish doc said "yeah, you're fine, there's no damage, just a nasty bump but you'll be fine..........however, you know what they're like here; I'll check if a CAT scan is available"

10mins wait

"Yeah, your insurance covers it, head upstairs with this guy"

Low and behold....they found **** all, apart from a brain which surprised me. (Doc didn't think that joke was funny).

Wouldn't bother me if my insurance automatically covered it, but they need a pre-approval (which won't be an issue), but that means going and repeating the same waste of half a day.

*****!

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 10th 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10984648)
Wouldn't bother me if my insurance automatically covered it, but they need a pre-approval (which won't be an issue), but that means going and repeating the same waste of half a day.

*****!

Yeah, in this city it seems to be the expectation that anyone can just be off work whenever they want.

shiva Nov 10th 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10984665)
Yeah, in this city it seems to be the expectation that anyone can just be off work whenever they want.

You didn't get that memo?

Brains1983 Nov 10th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10984665)

I'm on the last 3 weeks of my 6 month notice, so I pretty much can be off, but that's not the post :D

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 10th 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10984777)
You didn't get that memo?

My boss didn't.

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10984803)
I'm on the last 3 weeks of my 6 month notice, so I pretty much can be off, but that's not the post :D

Lucky!