Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Meanwhile in Rashidiya - Man walking pet monkey kills neighbour in barmaid feud

Meanwhile in Rashidiya - Man walking pet monkey kills neighbour in barmaid feud

Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:38 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meanwhile in Rashidiya - Man walking pet monkey kills neighbour in barmaid feud

this made my day!

"A 25-year-old Emirati police lieutenant said his station received a phone call reporting the death of a young man involved in a dispute"

how do you know he was 25? was he cute as well?
so many questions!! so little time!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:11 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meanwhile in Rashidiya - Man walking pet monkey kills neighbour in barmaid feud

Wow, incredible lack of empathy. Somebody died. Quite horribly by the sound of it. While the circumstances were bizarre it does not sound like the victim brought it on himself in any way. But he was one of "those people", so who cares?

Not all - not even most - Emiratis are the spolied rich brats of the stereotype. There is a large (and fairly dysfunctional) struggling local underclass, much as there is in most countries, and they get treated just as badly as expats, if not worse, by the local ruling class. What is wrong here is how little care and consideration this young mans death will receive. Nice bedfellows on this thread. Sheesh...
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:29 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Wow, incredible lack of empathy. Somebody died. Quite horribly by the sound of it. While the circumstances were bizarre it does not sound like the victim brought it on himself in any way. But he was one of "those people", so who cares?

Not all - not even most - Emiratis are the spolied rich brats of the stereotype. There is a large (and fairly dysfunctional) struggling local underclass, much as there is in most countries, and they get treated just as badly as expats, if not worse, by the local ruling class. What is wrong here is how little care and consideration this young mans death will receive. Nice bedfellows on this thread. Sheesh...
Err... if this was in any way directed at me - you are wrong and extremely judgemental. So you don't find the headline and circumstances in the slightest worthy of comment, either in a satirical (as I meant) or if you want (as you seem to) social context?

But he was one of "those people", so who cares?

Why are you insinuating a prejudiced or even racist agenda? The article quoted is from The National, I doubt they see it this way or if they do they'd not report it as this. At no point in this thread is the phrase "those people" used.

I find your posts usually intelligent and interesting, not this one.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Wow, incredible lack of empathy. Somebody died.
says the misanthrope!!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

... so he took his monkey and fled..

Brilliant- I am howling here- funniest story I've read for a long time.

And lala Im very upset the monkey isnt wearing a seatbelt!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

erm yes miss anthrope its very upsetting its the journalism that Ifind amusing. I imagine teh jounalist in question sat sniggering through the court case!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:12 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Err... if this was in any way directed at me - you are wrong and extremely judgemental. So you don't find the headline and circumstances in the slightest worthy of comment, either in a satirical (as I meant) or if you want (as you seem to) social context?

But he was one of "those people", so who cares?

Why are you insinuating a prejudiced or even racist agenda? The article quoted is from The National, I doubt they see it this way or if they do they'd not report it as this. At no point in this thread is the phrase "those people" used.

I find your posts usually intelligent and interesting, not this one.
Wasn't aimed at you specifically but at the tenor of the comments in general. Yes it's a bizarre and weird story and I think I have a very strong sense of the absurd but....the heart of the story was a pretty gruesome murder and nobody (else) has yet seen fit to comment on that. Except, as Saudi Flares says, the self-declared misanthrope! Oh, and now big-hearted Kittycat of course...
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla View Post
... speaking of monkeys. I saw one perched on the wing mirror of someone's car in traffic the other day.
...speaking of monkeys. True story.

One day earlier this year, as I left the building to go to my car I seen a security man running through the car park - holding his hat comedy-policeman style - and as I looked up the road he was chasing.......a baboon Light brown, about 18 inches high on its hind legs.

We have no idea how it happened to be on our site - we are quite rural on the southern edge of Riyadh industrial city close to Aramco refinery - not exactly natural baboon habitat although they do thrive in some parts of KSA.

The conclusion we came to was it was a pet of a travelling delivery driver and escaped from his truck cab. Anyway we spent the next hour chasing it keystone-cops style until it eventually ran up an access ladder onto the roof and we never seen it again.

Strange but true......and alternative theories as to it's origin welcomed.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:45 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

death is inevitable, it is the one time all of us will stop sinning suddenly
each have their own way of either talking about it, most show sorrow or sympathy, some remain quiet, some contemplate, some who know the man celebrate his life rather than his death and some who do not know him make fun of the incident while trying not to think of the finality of it and yet there are some who admonish the ones who make fun.
I must admit it was a horrible way to go and one can only hope to have a clean break when the time comes
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla View Post
... speaking of monkeys. I saw one perched on the wing mirror of someone's car in traffic the other day.
Quality. Nothing like living in the ME..
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
And lala Im very upset the monkey isnt wearing a seatbelt!
He was wearing a harness.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lala ok thats perfectly fine then :-)
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Could this be Timmy's body, do you think?

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...issing-emirati