Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Is the ME forum too cliquey...

Is the ME forum too cliquey...

Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:12 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the ME forum too cliquey...

Time for some self reflection...

I think it is...and I am one of the worst offenders...but it's an easy trap to fall into when you have known a few hardcore ones for a while...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the ME forum too cliquey...

well...i think it can be, BUT, and it's a big but...there have been loads of newbies who come on and very quickly get into the stride of things (take Ritchie and Dom as latest examples i can think of...). It all tends to go tits up when the newbie doesn't "act" like a normal newbie...and given the amount of trolls we get on here, it's hardly surprising that everyone is a bit suss of them...we normally get over ourselves once they have proved us wrong (don't we, B.Geezer!!), lol...

MM, xx
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:17 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MataHari
Time for some self reflection...

I think it is...and I am one of the worst offenders...but it's an easy trap to fall into when you have known a few hardcore ones for a while...
Dont want to answer being a newbie.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
well...i think it can be, BUT, and it's a big but...there have been loads of newbies who come on and very quickly get into the stride of things (take Ritchie and Dom as latest examples i can think of...). It all tends to go tits up when the newbie doesn't "act" like a normal newbie...and given the amount of trolls we get on here, it's hardly surprising that everyone is a bit suss of them...we normally get over ourselves once they have proved us wrong (don't we, B.Geezer!!), lol...

MM, xx
OK. I'm going to throw this in. I think newbie female posters get a rougher ride than the guys. From the long-time-lady-posters....
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
Your feedback is valuable, sir. And you're in the perfect position to comment.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
OK. I'm going to throw this in. I think newbie female posters get a rougher ride than the guys. From the long-time-lady-posters....
err...you think Big Geezer/B. Geezer had an easy time...

MM, xx
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:19 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

being a newbie makes you the ideal person to answer the question though...so please...tell me what you think
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:21 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Short and simple... YES. Not really sure why someone has to 'prove' themselves to anyone.

Everyone was new on here at some stage. How would you feel if you were given such a frosty reception?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:22 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
maybe...but don't forget Nogrom and SimpleMind...two that spring to mind that have gotten a real grilling...
I think basically, guys tend to be more up front with their posts...whereas some women post in a very conflicting manner...thus making themselfs suspicious...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:24 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

being a newbie makes you the ideal person to answer the question though...so please...tell me what you think
Ok, I shall answer and I shall answer truthfully.

Yes it can be cliquey.

I have been on the recieving end of a Matahari onslaught BUT not only did I live but I stayed, I've been lurking on here and popping in the odd post since August but I hope now that I have moved to add more. I also agree with Shaq, female newbies do tend to get harder treatment than the males but I will not point fingers.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

maybe...but don't forget Nogrom and SimpleMind...two that spring to mind that have gotten a real grilling...
I think basically, guys tend to be more up front with their posts...whereas some women post in a very conflicting manner...thus making themselfs suspicious...
Did Nogrom turn out to be *genuine* then? Damn. If we'd been nice we mighta gotten a ride in the private chopper...

Actually, we're not coming out too well from this really, are we???
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:27 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the female posters are quicker to take offence (& I have been guilty of this myself on bad day!).

There is some cliqueyness, particularly from those who know each other IRL, but that is rather to be expected.

I also suspect that many newbies don't take the time to read the wiki or a few posts to get a feel of things. Others think the board is purely there to provide them with the exact information that they need and get cross when they don't get it immediately - forgetting that contributors are volunteers and thus pissing off posters who do try & help.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:28 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Short and simple... YES. Not really sure why someone has to 'prove' themselves to anyone.

Everyone was new on here at some stage. How would you feel if you were given such a frosty reception?
ok...
I think it's only after someone has posted in a somewhat weird way...Annacarna had a rough start...telling us we are leading fake lives, calling a member little miss Expat and writing how everybody in her office had a great laugh reading about our sad lives (or something like that, can't remember properly)...still she is on now and things are ok...and sorry to bring it up again, but she is the most recent example that I can think of...

there is loads of new members asking for advice and most just get 'processed' in a normal way, with threads going off topic but still the advice normally is there....and some of those posters stay and some just came for the advice and are never to be seen again...

It's only when a poster has a style that strongly resembles the style of an banned member that the reception gets frosty...or when someone ticks all the 'troll' boxes....
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it can be cliquey.

I have been on the recieving end of a Matahari onslaught BUT not only did I live but I stayed, I've been lurking on here and popping in the odd post since August but I hope now that I have moved to add more. I also agree with Shaq, female newbies do tend to get harder treatment than the males but I will not point fingers.
Cool, good that you did stay. But I wouldn't have MH any other way... How dull would that be?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

Yes it can be cliquey.

YOU HAVE?!?!?!??!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really thought I had never ever seen you post before...LOL
I will go and do a little search to see what I have done to you...I must be getting old for forgetting....haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.