British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Mayweather / McGregor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mayweather-mcgregor-902371/)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2017 1:30 pm

Mayweather / McGregor

Anyone interested?
Anyone going to watch?
Anyone any comments on the richest fight in history?
Anyone else hope they can both lose somehow?

Dubaiexile Aug 23rd 2017 1:42 pm

Re: Mayweather / McGregor

It would be great to watch them both knock each other out and the disappear!

I like boxing but it has reached the stage when I cannot be doing with all the hype!

Will I watch it no!

Prediction..well Mayweather being the boxer should do it easily, but then again the unpredictability of McGregor cannot be ignored.

Pongo Aug 23rd 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12322736)
Anyone interested?
Anyone going to watch?
Anyone any comments on the richest fight in history?
Anyone else hope they can both lose somehow?

No
No
No
Yes

Irishbeekeeper Aug 23rd 2017 2:49 pm

I was a mcgregor fan till he did that stupid dance in the ring for everyone ffs
7 in the morning isnt it? no thanks
It should go the distance with that wife-beater winning by points

jam25mack Aug 24th 2017 4:49 am

Right now I am planning to go and watch it..... we will see how that works out.

Read and watched quite a bit on McGregor and his threat should not be underestimated. Despite his lack of boxing experience he has several factors in his favour and it would only take a big left hander to lay Money (seriously 'Money', what a prick) out. Yes he's not a boxer but he is a pro fighter so he's not as green as everyone in the boxing world is making out. That said, I still think Mayweather will win though (unfortunately) as he'll just spend his time running around the ring like he did against Paq. This will just wind McGregor up so there's a risk he'll forget where he is and land a flying spinning kick to his face.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 24th 2017 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12322815)
I was a mcgregor fan till he did that stupid dance in the ring for everyone ffs
7 in the morning isnt it? no thanks
It should go the distance with that wife-beater winning by points

Interesting last point.

Mayweather doesn't get hit much, they both have impressive power, so if they do land punches it might not go the distance....but both are tough...so could.

I don't particularly like either, but I'll watch it.

weasel decentral Aug 25th 2017 4:24 am

I hope McGregor gets thumped however..

Mayweather isn't an idiot, he ought to control the fight and give the crowd the appearance of a contest before closing it out. I'm sure he sees the crossover as a way to extend his former boxing paydays indefinitely.

csdf Aug 27th 2017 4:49 am

McGregor has lasted 9 rounds - amazing!

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 27th 2017 5:34 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12324064)
I hope McGregor gets thumped however..

Mayweather isn't an idiot, he ought to control the fight and give the crowd the appearance of a contest before closing it out. I'm sure he sees the crossover as a way to extend his former boxing paydays indefinitely.

As soon as the first 2-3 rounds were over and Mayweather had cruised without doing anything but being behind on points there was only one winner eh.

Shame McGregor didn't hit the canvas but the stoppage was right.

jam25mack Aug 27th 2017 5:35 am

Think he did well all in all. He was knackered for the last few rounds tho.

Didn't go anywhere in the end but from the pics of the queues at McGettigans at 5:45am I'm glad. Friends were in there and apparently it was carnage.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 27th 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12325130)
Think he did well all in all. He was knackered for the last few rounds tho.

Didn't go anywhere in the end but from the pics of the queues at McGettigans at 5:45am I'm glad. Friends were in there and apparently it was carnage.

Yeah, pied that off last night. Very pleased too.

Millhouse Aug 27th 2017 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12325133)
Yeah, pied that off last night. Very pleased too.

I went to McGrets at DWTC - it was full on busy, but as long as you weren't trying for a breakfast it was ok. I sat on a pool table upstairs and could see, no problems really.

Enjoyed the fight, it really was all over by around round 4/5 as he was getting so tired. Mayweather was perfectly fresh on account of having done nothing for the previous rounds, was nice to watch him just pick conor to bits.

Also liked the mutual respect and sportsmanship at the end of the fight.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 27th 2017 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12325144)
I went to McGrets at DWTC - it was full on busy, but as long as you weren't trying for a breakfast it was ok. I sat on a pool table upstairs and could see, no problems really.

Enjoyed the fight, it really was all over by around round 4/5 as he was getting so tired. Mayweather was perfectly fresh on account of having done nothing for the previous rounds, was nice to watch him just pick conor to bits.

Also liked the mutual respect and sportsmanship at the end of the fight.

I agree with all of that. It was a total masterclass....as much as I don't like the man, Mayweather is a genuine great. Same with McGregor, not a huge fan but he stood in that ring and fought well, landed more punches on Mayweather than many do.

jam25mack Aug 27th 2017 6:48 am

Missed the first 3 rounds but heard Mayweather did f all......, however, that didn't stop 2 of the 3 judges saying he won the early rounds..... It's lucky the fight wasn't any closer as I doubt it would have been judged fairly. The American's really do need to clean this up as some of the calls are getting embarrassing. It's pretty much every fight now where at least one of the judges score is ridiculous.

Millhouse Aug 27th 2017 8:05 am

Did anyone understand a word McGreg said after the fight? wow.