Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Maybe moving to Dubai and need help, please!

Maybe moving to Dubai and need help, please!

Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Ned11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really nice
Default Maybe moving to Dubai and need help, please!

I have been offered a job in Dubai but not sure what to do. I am a women aged 32 and I am a bit nervous about me being out there on my own.
I do travel on my own but has generally traveled to the US.
Can anyone help me to let me know what it's like, please?
Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:17 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Maybe moving to Dubai and need help, please!

Originally Posted by Ned11
I have been offered a job in Dubai but not sure what to do. I am a women aged 32 and I am a bit nervous about me being out there on my own.
Thanks
Simples.
Plenty of women do.
Just don't interact with trolls
Oh, and the one word you need in Dubai?

Network.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Ned11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really niceNed11 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kix
Simples.
Plenty of women do.

Network.
I've heard this word being used before. Which means? All expats stick together? Only hang around with expats?
Your help is appreciated.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Dubai is a safe place for single women, it isn't a backwater sweetie.
use the search facility at the top of the page there is plenty of information available.
what line of work are you in?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard this word being used before. Which means? All expats stick together? Only hang around with expats?
Your help is appreciated.
join networking groups, google it.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:52 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Just do it... you only live once..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Living as a single woman in Dubai is safer than being in most UK cities (driving excepted!). What are your specific concerns?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Simples.
Plenty of women do.

Network.

Network? You mean go to those ghastly early morning meetings and collect a load of business cards? Utterly pointless for many people.

Better to 'network' on a more social basis.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Dubai, and my family live in the UK. My wife (5 foot-nothing, and Asian) and my 20-something daughter (similarly 5 foot-nothing) come and visit, and they're often out and about while I'm at work. I have no greater concern for their safety or well-being than I would have if they were out and about in UK (other than the maniacal driving), and probably less concern than if they lived in, say, London, Manchester or Birmingham. Admittedly they're not out at night on their own here, but the same would apply if they were.

I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about--its different, for sure, but come armed with patience and a willingness to make new friends and accept that things will be different, and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for your reply. I'll be working in finance.
My worries are that it's an Islamic country and wasn't sure how they treat women. And by the sounds of it, don't drive?
I take it that it's best use taxis and the metro.
Thanks again.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:44 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
Network? You mean go to those ghastly early morning meetings and collect a load of business cards? Utterly pointless for many people.

Better to 'network' on a more social basis.
No, that is not what I meant as you very well know Ms. Headmistress.

Get to know people on a social basis and utilise their, and your, knowledge.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your reply. I'll be working in finance.
My worries are that it's an Islamic country and wasn't sure how they treat women. And by the sounds of it, don't drive?
I take it that it's best use taxis and the metro.
Thanks again.
Generally, with great respect.

And I wouldn't say don't drive, but its not for the faint-hearted.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Driving is a peace of piss. I really have no idea what the fuss is all about.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Driving is a peace of piss. I really have no idea what the fuss is all about.
I hate to be that guy but .... piece
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I hate to be that guy but .... piece
I hang my head in shame. Thank you Weasel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.