Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Mass graves to shed light on Britain's bloodiest battle

Mass graves to shed light on Britain's bloodiest battle

Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mass graves to shed light on Britain's bloodiest battle

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-2247057.html

" It was one of the biggest and probably the bloodiest battle ever fought on British soil. Such was its ferocity almost 1 per cent of the English population was wiped out in a single day. Yet mention the Battle of Towton to most people and you would probably get a blank stare.

Next week marks the 550th anniversary of the engagement that changed the course of the Wars of the Roses. It is estimated that between 50,000 and 80,000 soldiers took part in the battle in 1461 between the Houses of York and Lancaster for control of the English throne. An estimated 28,000 men are said to have lost their lives.

But this bloody conflict is unlikely to remain forgotten for much longer. Archaeologists believe they will unearth what is likely to be Britain's largest mass grave this summer."

" Very few records of the battle survive, which is one reason that so little is known about it. Historians believe this could be due to an early propaganda campaign by the Tudors. "
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:48 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mass graves to shed light on Britain's bloodiest battle

It's such a shame I never really did English/ British history... the French version is somewhat different! Agincourt? [cough] very small battle really, the rats ate our bow strings... and it was raining... and they had a bit of a gyppy tummy that day, so they weren't on top form.

Anyhow, War of the Roses? Pass. Still, that's quite some battle.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
It's such a shame I never really did English/ British history... the French version is somewhat different! Agincourt? [cough] very small battle really, the rats ate our bow strings... and it was raining... and they had a bit of a gyppy tummy that day, so they weren't on top form.

Anyhow, War of the Roses? Pass. Still, that's quite some battle.
Mad isn't it. Every school should teach British history as the core. When I went to school I knew about the American Civil War but didn't have the foggiest what a roundhead or cavalier was. In fact, who was Oliver Cromwell?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:20 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sross2203
Mad isn't it. Every school should teach British history as the core. When I went to school I knew about the American Civil War but didn't have the foggiest what a roundhead or cavalier was. In fact, who was Oliver Cromwell?
well, I went to school in France, so I would expect them to concentrate on French history rather than English! Still, the French system actually has history (and geography) as a core subject that runs all the way through secondary and 6th form. They don't go in for opting out, hence why, in my scientific baccalaureat (A-level) I still had to do History/ geography, philosophy, 2 languages and sport. Sport, I ask you?! I'm an academic, not a gymnast. OK, so I flunked sport big time.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in form 4 , our class was taken on a trip to Portmouth to see what was left of the Mary Rose . To me the best part was all the dioramas as I was always into that sort of stuff.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
well, I went to school in France, so I would expect them to concentrate on French history rather than English! Still, the French system actually has history (and geography) as a core subject that runs all the way through secondary and 6th form. They don't go in for opting out, hence why, in my scientific baccalaureat (A-level) I still had to do History/ geography, philosophy, 2 languages and sport. Sport, I ask you?! I'm an academic, not a gymnast. OK, so I flunked sport big time.
Ah I see, sorry, pardon my ignorance.

Having only left secondary school in 2004 we had to continue one of history/geography to GCSE amongst options. Fortunately I was lucky enough to blag my way into a Grammar school and was taught history by some quality 'old boy' teachers. They certainly made sure we focused our efforts on British events which I loved.

A lot to be said for the Baccalaureate though, on that basis my old school is the best in the country. (Answers on a postcard)
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:46 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Having only left secondary school in 2004

i move to have you officially banned from making reference to any dates, ever in any way whatsoever. banned, blocked, downright threatened with violence lest you cease and desist from mentioning dates.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
i move to have you officially banned from making reference to any dates, ever in any way whatsoever. banned, blocked, downright threatened with violence lest you cease and desist from mentioning dates.
Hahahahahahaha brilliant.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahahahaha brilliant.
no its not, its shite.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
no its not, its shite.
Such is life I'm afraid. Perhaps I should just lie to you from now on?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Having only left secondary school in 2004 we had to continue one of history/geography to GCSE amongst options. Fortunately I was lucky enough to blag my way into a Grammar school and was taught history by some quality 'old boy' teachers. They certainly made sure we focused our efforts on British events which I loved.

A lot to be said for the Baccalaureate though, on that basis my old school is the best in the country. (Answers on a postcard)
so do you rate the Baccalaureate? we were told that by the time our daughter goes to Senior School the British Curriculum will have been phased out.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
so do you rate the Baccalaureate? we were told that by the time our daughter goes to Senior School the British Curriculum will have been phased out.
I don't know enough about it to be honest, but my friends father is a governor at our old school and they all love it.

It is a good way of measuring a school more than anything I thnk. It focuses on the core subjects and doesn't allow the public schools to hide the fact that their kids are mainly thick as two short planks by letting them take media studies as a GCSE and it counting towards league tables / results etc.

I think it depends on the school, my old place was focused on purely academic subjects, my year was the first allowed to take PE at GCSE which other schools had been doing for years.

Couldn't possibly comment on what the curriculum would look like, will ask the mrs because she might... I can whole heartedly recommend a grammar school environment, I hated it at the time but it was a blessing now I look back.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know enough about it to be honest, but my friends father is a governor at our old school and they all love it.

It is a good way of measuring a school more than anything I thnk. It focuses on the core subjects and doesn't allow the public schools to hide the fact that their kids are mainly thick as two short planks by letting them take media studies as a GCSE and it counting towards league tables / results etc.

I think it depends on the school, my old place was focused on purely academic subjects, my year was the first allowed to take PE at GCSE which other schools had been doing for years.

Couldn't possibly comment on what the curriculum would look like, will ask the mrs because she might... I can whole heartedly recommend a grammar school environment, I hated it at the time but it was a blessing now I look back.
Mitten is at a British Curric school and we are very happy with the standard of education, however I think she finds it confusing that all homeworks involves pounds and pence yet her pocket money is in dirhams. All the history of UK based as well, well it has been so far. Fire of London at the minute
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Mitten is at a British Curric school and we are very happy with the standard of education, however I think she finds it confusing that all homeworks involves pounds and pence yet her pocket money is in dirhams. All the history of UK based as well, well it has been so far. Fire of London at the minute
I assume that most British Curriculum schools in Dubai are a decent standard though?

Good. I like that. Kids should learn that we had a Civil War, the Plague, the Fire, both Wars. Not so much about American Indians and their treatment by locals...

Although we did heavily cover China and then the Cold War which was fascinating... swings and roundabouts but a British core is crucial I think.

She'll be a whizz on exchange rates then, her 6 times table must be unbelievably good.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Having only left secondary school in 2004 we had to continue one of history/geography to GCSE amongst options. Fortunately I was lucky enough to blag my way into a Grammar school and was taught history by some quality 'old boy' teachers. They certainly made sure we focused our efforts on British events which I loved. A lot to be said for the Baccalaureate though, on that basis my old school is the best in the country. (Answers on a postcard)
You are presumably joking when you said that you went to a UK grammar school and yet don't know who Oliver Cromwell was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.