British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Mass Exodus of the elderly - Japan. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mass-exodus-elderly-japan-784692/)

claimsboys Jan 22nd 2013 11:49 am

Mass Exodus of the elderly - Japan.

Seems there is more than one way to save the nations finances!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...p-die-japanese

OleJanx Jan 22nd 2013 11:58 am

Re: Mass Exodus of the elderly - Japan.

Originally Posted by claimsboys (Post 10498447)

Seems like an enlightened bloke...

claimsboys Jan 22nd 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10498457)
Seems like an enlightened bloke...

You're a dark force......................

Beakersful Jan 22nd 2013 12:26 pm

It was the elderly who marched into the reactor complex, drastically shortening their lives and likely making themselves particularly ill, and saving their nation and this MP's lives.

claimsboys Jan 22nd 2013 12:48 pm

Another Tsunami may do the trick?

Beakersful Jan 22nd 2013 1:16 pm

Frankly, I'm surprised we didn't see half of Japan on the ferries over to the Chinese mainland to get away from the radiation.

But then the last time they landed in China......

Boomhauer Jan 22nd 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by claimsboys (Post 10498447)

This self sacrifice works in Japan because the up and coming generation / young are of the same ethnicity as the elderly.

Bahtatboy Jan 22nd 2013 2:44 pm

At least he's aptly named.

Paracletus Jan 22nd 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10498691)
This self sacrifice works in Japan because the up and coming generation / young are of the same ethnicity as the elderly.

Actually, as far as I'm aware..the Japanese do not ask about ethnicity on their census. Any naturalized japanese citizen is therefor consider to be part of one ethnic group, which skews the results. But yes, probably not by a lot. Having said that, with europe's birth rates in decline, is continued mass immigration the only way to sustain our current welfare models? Going by the japanese, it would appear so.

Bahtatboy Jan 23rd 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10499289)
Actually, as far as I'm aware..the Japanese do not ask about ethnicity on their census. Any naturalized japanese citizen is therefor consider to be part of one ethnic group, which skews the results. But yes, probably not by a lot. Having said that, with europe's birth rates in decline, is continued mass immigration the only way to sustain our current welfare models? Going by the japanese, it would appear so.

Yep, homogenity rules. And its a touchy subject. The Japanese believe they are a pure race, originating from the Sun god. Kinda like many Americans' denial of evolution. Its pretty clear that the islands were initially inhabited by people from China through Korea, and in fact the Imperial family's roots can be traced to Korea although you won't get many Japanese to acknowledge it. There is/was also an indigenous tribe called the Ainu who the Japanese won't talk much about either.

All Japanese have a koseiktouhon, a family-based (as opposed to individual-based) super-birth-certificate; this is usually required at job interview stage, and from it any prospective employer can tell family history and marital status: women in particular are discriminated against if they're unmarried but not living at the familial home, and anyone who's got a "Kin" or other Korean-derived named in the family history is, too.

claimsboys Jan 23rd 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10500409)
Yep, homogenity rules. And its a touchy subject. The Japanese believe they are a pure race, originating from the Sun god. Kinda like many Americans' denial of evolution. Its pretty clear that the islands were initially inhabited by people from China through Korea, and in fact the Imperial family's roots can be traced to Korea although you won't get many Japanese to acknowledge it. There is/was also an indigenous tribe called the Ainu who the Japanese won't talk much about either.

All Japanese have a koseiktouhon, a family-based (as opposed to individual-based) super-birth-certificate; this is usually required at job interview stage, and from it any prospective employer can tell family history and marital status: women in particular are discriminated against if they're unmarried but not living at the familial home, and anyone who's got a "Kin" or other Korean-derived named in the family history is, too.

I struggle with the Bible and its account of man, but the Japanese suggestion that a sun goddess called "Amaterasu" who incidentally was born from the left eye of a creator god "Izanagi" and sent her grandson, "winigi" to Earth on the Japanese island Kyushu to wed an early deity, well I’m on a bad trip with a double drop of ecstasy, and i've had two bottles of vodka.

Not that I’m ignorant of other cultures (:o), but when Emperor Hirohito declared he was not from "divine culture" sometime prior to the ending of WWII, the Japanese had to make their interpretations conform to his account.

It’s more likely they are a mongrel race of Korean and Ainu.

Paracletus Jan 23rd 2013 10:02 am

I love all this racial purity stuff, which always brings back fond memories of Nicky G. and his mission for our own ethnic purity..Though aren't mongrel dogs meant to suffer less problems than pure breed dogs? Would this also be applicable to humans? I know the Icelandic's need to consult a book prior to consummating their marriage.