Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:30 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Why don't you ask her to leave Islam or convert to Christianity for a day - I bet that's not even an option is it?

Direct question I know (and I mean no offense) but there are more than principles at stake here. If you've converted you can also be prosecuted in most Muslim countries for things like drinking. You will not be able to have a license and you will also have to deal with Sharia law for things like inheritance. If you fancy your children automatically going to your nearest male relative upon your demise and only 1/8 of your net worth in the region going to her good luck to you mate.

N.
My understanding is I do it for the day (If I did) Or am I missing something?

Miss Piggy aside the good lady indulges in everything else we do so she is never going to give me grief for staying as I am. It would have to be done that way for her family only.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:08 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
My understanding is I do it for the day (If I did) Or am I missing something?

Miss Piggy aside the good lady indulges in everything else we do so she is never going to give me grief for staying as I am. It would have to be done that way for her family only.
OK, so you become Muslim for a day only...

Except you haven't looked up what Islam proscribes for people who leave Islam - and you would be leaving after one day, no? I can assure you it's not the same as when a Catholic becomes an Anglican.

All I can say is if you think you are only going to be considered a Muslim for one day after saying the shahada to anyone official that will register it then you're not getting the full picture...if that were true when you have children your wife would be flogged or even stoned for having children out of wedlock because you were only Muslim for one day and went back to being a kaffir when the babies were conceived.

Does this one day thing still sound like a congruent and legitimate idea? The one day marriage is only something some Shi'a get up to in order to shag women who they aren't really married to.

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Jul 8th 2012 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:34 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you become Muslim for a day only...

Except you haven't looked up what Islam proscribes for people who leave Islam - and you would be leaving after one day, no? I can assure you it's not the same as when a Catholic becomes an Anglican.

All I can say is if you think you are only going to be considered a Muslim for one day after saying the shahada to anyone official that will register it then you're not getting the full picture...if that were true when you have children your wife would be flogged or even stoned for having children out of wedlock because you were only Muslim for one day and went back to being a kaffir when the babies were conceived.

Does this one day thing still sound like a congruent and legitimate idea? The one day marriage is only something some Shi'a get up to in order to shag women who they aren't really married to.

N.
Just to clarify, this was a 'chat' we had so Its not something a I have thought about too much - I spend more time having a beer and indoor sports.....

I take it the crux of the problem is if I claim to be C of E when in the middle east with a muslim wife they won't recognise the marriage?

Or if we were to have children I would have to say again I was a muslim?

As far as I know the only paperwork I wave had to declare my religion on is my Liquor Licence? Other than that I assume they believe me to just be any old infidel?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:43 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, this was a 'chat' we had so Its not something a I have thought about too much - I spend more time having a beer and indoor sports.....
Ultimately it's your business and your choice. I think in cases like this you need to have all the facts at hand - Islam is not just a religion and while many, many Muslims are perfectly decent people Islamic law is very particular, especially in Muslim countries.

I take it the crux of the problem is if I claim to be C of E when in the middle east with a muslim wife they won't recognise the marriage?
Absolutely they will not. It goes against almost every interpretation of Sharia I've heard of. You can put a Sunni and Shi'a in the same room and they'll agree on this 99% of the time. Your wife would be an outcast if she's lucky and may even face death threats from her family or community if she ran off and married you outside of Islamic law. Certainly few Muslim states would recognise your union as legal and valid, and many would punish you both for it.

Or if we were to have children I would have to say again I was a muslim?
In a Muslim country you would...because your marriage would be Islamic. Therefore your children are all Muslims will all the rights and privileges that entails old chap.

As far as I know the only paperwork I wave had to declare my religion on is my Liquor Licence? Other than that I assume they believe me to just be any old infidel?
What do you think would happen if they found out you had converted and lied on a liquor license application (and your marriage cert would mean all docs done after that would say Muslim very clearly from your ID card to your driving license)? They have the full right to punish you as a Muslim rather than just a kaffir who was being naughty.

N.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:32 am
Shark Fisherman

So if it ever got to that point, Civil Ceremony in UK? **** all religion involved and a good piss up with bangers and mash after?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:51 pm

So if it ever got to that point, Civil Ceremony in UK? **** all religion involved and a good piss up with bangers and mash after?
Well that would be recognised in the UK because we place no restrictions on who can marry bar they should be consenting adults...but not too many Muslim states (or her family it seems - I don't know of course) would be quick to recognise it. Would be a problem traveling back to visit them if someone get's arsey about it (and relatives might be an issue...again, I don't know them so could be wrong)

N.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:03 pm
Shark Fisherman

Well that would be recognised in the UK because we place no restrictions on who can marry bar they should be consenting adults...but not too many Muslim states (or her family it seems - I don't know of course) would be quick to recognise it. Would be a problem traveling back to visit them if someone get's arsey about it (and relatives might be an issue...again, I don't know them so could be wrong)

N.
It would be recognised world wide as a legal marriage though? (albeit muslim states could be touchy about it) The family is not a massive issue, Its a mother and a brother no one else.

The real fun would start in having kids I suppose as I would not push religion on them. I was christened and vomited on the vicar, says alot about what I think of religion. When they are old enough they can make their own minds up, except scientology of course - They are just plain bonkers.

Edit - Going back to topic, they will be thick so perhaps they may be scientologists.............
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:48 am
Shark Fisherman

Following our chat on here Norm, last night I approached the subject..........

She wouldn't want me to convert, It would be a muslim ceremony in her country but with no signing on official documents followed by a Civil Service in the UK - Which is the marriage certificate we would use in our life. The main reason as we both know as to why Muslim women cannot marry is because of the children. So should we both be of breeding quality the child would not be christened or what ever they do, It would go to a british school and be allowed to make their own decision whenever they want, be it atheist, Christian or Muslim.

I just hope she didn't get the wrong idea because we had that conversation.....................!