Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Married in the UK as non-resident

Married in the UK as non-resident

Old Jan 15th 2019, 6:39 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Married in the UK as non-resident

Morning folks,

Anyone here got married in the UK (civil, not church) whilst non-resident?

We're both British and the venue we're going to marry in suggested that it might be easier to just use the UK address of parents and not to bring up living overseas.

I'm all for bending truths and making life easier but wouldn't also want to cause any issues if it's actually not that difficult to marry as non-resident.

Thanks in advance
Scampandchain
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Married in the UK as non-resident

We did it back in August. No issues whatsoever. Everything signed and done through registrars. Paperwork attested and now accepted back in the sandpit.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:45 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you posted notification of the wedding in your hometowns? Did you tell the registrar you're non-resident or just pretend to be UK based?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:55 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

God will know, Scamp.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:18 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
God will know, Scamp.
Frankly, I don't really give a monkeys, I just...for once, want to do something properly, you know?

"Ignorance is not an excuse" being thrown at you is literally the worst.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I assume you posted notification of the wedding in your hometowns? Did you tell the registrar you're non-resident or just pretend to be UK based?
Yeah mate we posted notice with less than 3 months to go. It was in my hometown but my wife isn't British. Told them that we where expats and proved we both lived abroad.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:41 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN View Post
Yeah mate we posted notice with less than 3 months to go. It was in my hometown but my wife isn't British. Told them that we where expats and proved we both lived abroad.
OK, thanks. Appreciate it.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:33 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​​If your wife "isn't British", is she from Europe (EU, Switzerland, Norway, or Iceland)? If not she should have had a visa, and if the registrar/ officiant had noticed they could, and arguably should, have refused to conduct your wedding.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
If your wife "isn't British", is she from Europe (EU, Switzerland, Norway, or Iceland)? If not she should have had a visa, and if the registrar/ officiant had noticed they could, and arguably should, have refused to conduct your wedding.
Well that's mighty nice of you to think that.

No she is not from the EU or any of those countries you mentioned (She is Moroccan) She originally had a schengen visa which she cancelled and applied for a marriage visa. Once that was granted and the steps i previously mentioned completed we were free to marry.

Confused as to where on this thread i mentioned my wife didn't have a Visa or i was asked if it was needed..
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:44 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's mighty nice of you to think that.

No she is not from the EU or any of those countries you mentioned (She is Moroccan) She originally had a schengen visa which she cancelled and applied for a marriage visa. Once that was granted and the steps i previously mentioned completed we were free to marry.

Confused as to where on this thread i mentioned my wife didn't have a Visa or i was asked if it was needed..
​​​​​​​Neither (which is why I started my post with "if"), but as BE is a public forum where "readers" are known to outnumber "posters", the full information/details may well be useful to someone else.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2019 at 1:00 pm.