British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Married or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/married-not-816620/)

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 12:13 pm

Married or not

So interesting to see peoples views on marriage on the Scamp getting married thread so just wondering if people have put their money where their mouth is?

Meow Dec 1st 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Married or not

Are you going to add a poll?

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 12:18 pm

patience meow- I was writing it! blimy you're high maintenance ;)

weasel decentral Dec 1st 2013 12:24 pm

I would admire the optimism of the person divorced after a 3rd marriage but would marry again.
Or maybe the whole thing is so devalued at that stage it's like just having a new gf or bf.

mikewot Dec 1st 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11015520)
I would admire the optimism of the person divorced after a 3rd marriage but would marry again.
Or maybe the whole thing is so devalued at that stage it's like just having a new gf or bf.

My wives ex has divorced number 4 and has asked number 5. But she can't decide if she'll leave her husband yet ROFL! She's in Oman.

Meow Dec 1st 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11015513)
patience meow- I was writing it! blimy you're high maintenance ;)

I see why it took you so long. How many options? :blink:

Can I just say happily married without going into details?

And high maintenance? Actually not as a partner.

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 12:34 pm

sorry meow I got carried away but I know we have some casanovas on here so am interested how many times people will tie the knot - was gonna go higher than 12 but restrained myself. I wonder if the divorce rate is higher as an expat or lower or no different?

I must say having some of my friends starting to go through divorces and separations, some on their second marriage it's interesting to see some seem forever optimistic whereas some have sworn never again.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 1st 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11015520)

My Dad is on his fourth. I think. Maybe third. He's been with my step mum longer than he was with my mum though so finally got it right...maybe.

weasel decentral Dec 1st 2013 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11015522)
My wives ex has divorced number 4 and has asked number 5. But she can't decide if she'll leave her husband yet ROFL! She's in Oman.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11015570)
My Dad is on his fourth. I think. Maybe third. He's been with my step mum longer than he was with my mum though so finally got it right...maybe.

It must leave a trail of insane family complications in its wake, all of these marriages especially if there are kids involved each time.

hnd Dec 1st 2013 1:13 pm

First marriage - 37 years this coming Wednesday.

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 1:17 pm

wow congratulations HND!

mikewot Dec 1st 2013 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11015578)
It must leave a trail of insane family complications in its wake, all of these marriages especially if there are kids involved each time.

Wives ex had two first marriage. One of whom eventually ended up living with them. So he considers my wife to be his mother, no contact with biological mother. Then 3 kids with my wife, long marriage. None with numbers 3 or 4 who also had no kids. Number 5 (designate) has a child or two which is likely to be problematic.
Only one of my stepkids was young enough to still fall under his sphere of influence, the rest were young adults.

Kix Dec 1st 2013 1:30 pm

Can I have a proviso, maybe I won't marry again, who knows, I wouldn't say i want to per se, but if the opportunity came along (obviously to a 22 year old Thai bird), then I may say yes - having checked out the credentials of course...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 1st 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11015578)

Yep.

I've got two half sisters in Wales apparently. Dad hasn't seen or hear from them in my lifetime (despite trying for years). It's never spoken of though.

Now I've got two step sisters, two 'mum's' and a hoarse of step nieces/nephews.

To be honest, it's the hand we were all dealt but I feel lucky to be part of two families...if that makes sense

nonthaburi Dec 2nd 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11015604)
Can I have a proviso, maybe I won't marry again, who knows, I wouldn't say i want to per se, but if the opportunity came along (obviously to a 22 year old Thai bird), then I may say yes - having checked out the credentials of course...

checking it wasn't a cock in a frock then !