View Poll Results: What is your marriage status?
Never married but would like to some day
10.91%
First marriage
50.91%
Divorced after first marriage would marry again
5.45%
Divorced after first marriage would not marry again
0%
On Second marriage
21.82%
Divorced after second marriage would marry again
1.82%
Divorced after second marriage would not marry again
0%
On 3rd marriage
7.27%
Divorced after third marriage would marry again
0%
Divorced after first marriage would not marry again
0%
never married and never want to
0%
Other
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Married or not

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married or not

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Oy vey.

Ironically you're slightly along the right track. Mrs. E likes chunky jewelry and these tribal style necklaces made out of blown glass and/or rock crystal.
Haha! Well in that case some authentic Egyptian jewellery might fit the bill--don't know where to buy it outside of Egypt--although it might be seen as too touristy.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah.

She already has the conventional. The pearls and silver bangles. And likes them a lot too.

When we were in Paris for a weekend some time back she saw this amazing modern necklace in a shop window on the place vendome. It was hand blown glass, formless shapes, of pale green jade colours strung along a silver or platinum necklace chain. Spectacular and my description doesn't do it justice.

She spent days talking about it and I quietly squirreled around and got the shop name and called them.

€35,000.

Thank you no. But I've picked up the names of a few designers she likes and she's getting something from one of them.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Its actually an impossible question to answer. Apart from the tried'n'trusted stuff (eg pearls) its very difficult, IMHO and loads of experience, to buy jewellery (and handbags. Especially handbags.) for one's wife. Especially as you've only been married for a short time. I too like the necklace, but that's totally irrelevant. On the other hand, if she's the type of gal who will be pleased and who will like it simply because its from you and you've taken time and care to chose it, then you're a lucky man. I could venture that you might consider what jewellery she has chosen for herself and go for something in keeping with that, but I perhaps that view needs to be verified by the fairer sex on the bored.

Good luck, anyway.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I didn't say I was going to get it. Was only trying to look for a picture of something Mrs. Ethos would like. Harder than you'd think.
Oh I wasn't having a dig my friend, just anything with POA is bloody annoying. The old 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' is bollocks too, just advertise how much it is, if it's expensive if shows how exclusive, if it's not, more people will be inclined to buy, rather than enquire on a hope. Bastards.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.

She already has the conventional. The pearls and silver bangles. And likes them a lot too.

When we were in Paris for a weekend some time back she saw this amazing modern necklace in a shop window on the place vendome. It was hand blown glass, formless shapes, of pale green jade colours strung along a silver or platinum necklace chain. Spectacular and my description doesn't do it justice.

She spent days talking about it and I quietly squirreled around and got the shop name and called them.

€35,000.

Thank you no. But I've picked up the names of a few designers she likes and she's getting something from one of them.
In that case I'd suggest being bold. Use your judgment to find something that is similar, provided that the shop will swap it for something else if she doesn't like it (ideally money back, but that's probably pushing it). Its the thought that counts...
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I was saying 6 years since Insellafen got married! I would have thought it was about 4! I have been married 11 years and have a 9 year old.
yes it is coming up to 6 years . we were in Singapore for 4.5 years
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Yeah. I know.

It's the same with certain types of antique shops. Pretentious twats.

I was once told it's because the shops will give a different price depending on who's contacted them. If it's you or me (the great unknown masses) they'll give one price. But if a recognisable name comes along, say Julia Roberts, or someone with Al Thani or Al Nahyan at the end of their too long name, they'll be given a much higher quote.

Then there's the claim that only serious buyers will make the effort to contact the shop so it's a way of weeding out the riff-raff.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Oh I wasn't having a dig my friend, just anything with POA is bloody annoying. The old 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' is bollocks too, just advertise how much it is, if it's expensive if shows how exclusive, if it's not, more people will be inclined to buy, rather than enquire on a hope. Bastards.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.

€35,000.

google Sue Tyson jewellery
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
yes it is coming up to 6 years . we were in Singapore for 4.5 years
so it must be 7 years since we went for dinner!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah. I know.

It's the same with certain types of antique shops. Pretentious twats.

I was once told it's because the shops will give a different price depending on who's contacted them. If it's you or me (the great unknown masses) they'll give one price. But if a recognisable name comes along, say Julia Roberts, or someone with Al Thani or Al Nahyan at the end of their too long name, they'll be given a much higher quote.

Then there's the claim that only serious buyers will make the effort to contact the shop so it's a way of weeding out the riff-raff.
Interesting point.

Oh well, I more than likely couldn't afford the necklace you posted even though I think it's quite nice.

What about a bracelet? Nice white gold / diamond combo?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Yummy mummy jewellery, eh?

What I'm getting for Mrs. Ethos is sort of in the same genre but the stones are a mix of very good quality hand blown glass and the better semi-precious stones. It's being bought through a pretty well known jewellery store so there's an exchange policy in place.

google Sue Tyson jewellery
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:52 am
Hit 16's

Expensive: check
Diamonds: check
Unique: check (well, unusual at least)
High quality: check
Practical: check

What's not to like?

Spoiler:
Married or not-handcuffs.jpg
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:53 am
Account Closed

My attitude towards diamonds is that there's no point unless you can fork over serious money for the super high quality ones. But can't afford it. Rather thankfully as I find diamonds boring although she did get a pair of 1c earrings from me when we were engaged.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting point.

What about a bracelet? Nice white gold / diamond combo?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:57 am
Concierge

What I'm getting for Mrs. Ethos is sort of in the same genre but the stones are a mix of very good quality hand blown glass and the better semi-precious stones. It's being bought through a pretty well known jewellery store so there's an exchange policy in place.
so it will be mass produced and over-priced, Sue Tyson's stuff is one offs and reasonably priced, an she does an exchange policy.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

so it will be mass produced and over-priced, Sue Tyson's stuff is one offs and reasonably priced, an she does an exchange policy.
Is she still in Dubai? She's leaving if she hasn't already gone.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Though there is never a really a good reason to visit Yemen, the place is awash with semi precious stones and antique silver. One my last trip home I brought back a kilo of the stones that I got for $1,000 dollars. I sold them to a friend's wife who has one of those bohemian type jewellery stores in a market for about $30 per stone, for a total of $6,000.
While ostensibly this is a bragging post, it also contains some helpful jewellery shopping in Yemen advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.