Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

mandatory child car restraints in UAE

mandatory child car restraints in UAE

Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mandatory child car restraints in UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I see no need for car seats if Allah is looking after them.
So using a child seat invariably means the person/s do not trust Allah or believe in him ???

------

The Libertarian in me thinks helmets and seat belts for adults should be a choice, i.e. not mandatory.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Priorities right again;

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/he...r-12-1.1222073
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So using a child seat invariably means the person/s do not trust Allah or believe in him ???

------

The Libertarian in me thinks helmets and seat belts for adults should be a choice, i.e. not mandatory.
That reminds me of the main anti helmets for motorcyclists protester in the US. He was riding at a protest and half way through the ride he fell off and died of his head injuries..... retard!

Last edited by jam25mack; Aug 20th 2013 at 9:24 am.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

------

The economic rationalist in me sees helmets and seat belts as insurance against huge medical bills that need to be borne by somebody - state or family - if one doesn't actually die from one's stupidity. Public good vs private freedom to be as stupid as one likes is a vexed issue if you don't put limits on that freedom.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
The economic rationalist in me sees helmets and seat belts as insurance against huge medical bills that need to be borne by somebody - state or family - if one doesn't actually die from one's stupidity. Public good vs private freedom to be as stupid as one likes is a vexed issue if you don't put limits on that freedom.
So I bet you love smokers then? Binge drinkers too?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So I bet you love smokers then? Binge drinkers too?
Smokers pay quite a lot for their stupidity via taxes and increased healthcare insurance premiums. There are also lots of rules around when and where and with whom they can smoke. Their freedom to be stupid around me has been seriously curtailed, so my point stands.

Binge drinkers get pinged by the courts if their behaviour impacts others, and as far as I know being drunk is not a defence to any crime. There are also similar laws we see for smoking, against public drinking and drunkeness that curtail one's personal freedoms too.

No, I think on balance we're getting there with smokers and binge drinkers. We've got a long way to go with seatbelts and car seats though.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Smokers pay quite a lot for their stupidity via taxes and increased healthcare insurance premiums. There are also lots of rules around when and where and with whom they can smoke. Their freedom to be stupid around me has been seriously curtailed, so my point stands.

Binge drinkers get pinged by the courts if their behaviour impacts others, and as far as I know being drunk is not a defence to any crime. There are also similar laws we see for smoking, against public drinking and drunkeness that curtail one's personal freedoms too.

No, I think on balance we're getting there with smokers and binge drinkers. We've got a long way to go with seatbelts and car seats though.
How much do you think the costs of emergency response and medical bills of an accident with seatbelts differs to one without?

So, as a smoker, if I live to 100 and have paid for ciggies every day I have a right to be aggrieved for not benefitting from the healthcare available because of the tax I've paid?

I'm not disagreeing that seatbelts and car seats should be used, they absolutely should, but rationalizing it with macro-economics seems like a long, complicated way of trying to convince folk.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought that if they wanted to reduce deaths and improve driving standards a huge metal spike mounted from the steering wheel and pointing directly and the driver's chest would be a better method than a seat-belt.

Lots of interesting stats on seatbelts. The death rate is roughly the same with or without them. We just drive faster and take more risks now that we have them.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

How much do you think the costs of emergency response and medical bills of an accident with seatbelts differs to one without? Depends on the severity of the accident. The issue is more around the smaller accidents where those who are strapped in suffer minimal injury and those who are not suffer greater injury or even death. Great big fatal car smashes would be much harder to differentiate costs.

So, as a smoker, if I live to 100 and have paid for ciggies every day I have a right to be aggrieved for not benefitting from the healthcare available because of the tax I've paid?Only if you are a true plonker

I'm not disagreeing that seatbelts and car seats should be used, they absolutely should, but rationalizing it with macro-economics seems like a long, complicated way of trying to convince folk.
It's not really macro-economics. It's plain common-sense. Very different things.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:07 am
Account Closed

It's not really macro-economics. It's plain common-sense. Very different things.
So the common-sense way to get people to wear seatbelts is to tell them that if they don't and eventually get hurt it's not fair on everyone else because they all contribute to the tax pool which will pay for their care?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

So the common-sense way to get people to wear seatbelts is to tell them that if they don't and eventually get hurt it's not fair on everyone else because they all contribute to the tax pool which will pay for their care?
Well, isn't that what they do when they run advertisements showing if you hurt yourself and you needn't have your family unnecessarily suffers?

It's about convincing people that their actions have consequences and effects not just for themselves but for others - some of whom they actually care about.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Well, isn't that what they do when they run advertisements showing if you hurt yourself and you needn't have your family unnecessarily suffers?

It's about convincing people that their actions have consequences and effects not just for themselves but for others - some of whom they actually care about.

Bang on the money! These selfish inconsiderate cnuts need to realise the consequences of their actions have a ripple effect, it's not just confined to them alone.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:22 am
Account Closed

I think appealing to a person's selfishness is the best way; wear a seatbelt or you have a greater chance of premature death.

After all, taking into account your point of the consequences won't matter to Charlie big bananas who thinks he is invincible.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

I think appealing to a person's selfishness is the best way; wear a seatbelt or you have a greater chance of premature death.

After all, taking into account your point of the consequences won't matter to Charlie big bananas who thinks he is invincible.

Agree that many folk here think they don't need to follow the rules and scaring them into behaving is often the best way.

The selfishness angle probably would work with the mandatory child restraint thing too. Charlie big bananas does wear his seat belt (unless it's going to wrinkle his outfit of course) but he refuses to put his child in one. Sometimes he justifies that with 'but the child cries when I put the seat belt on. It is cruel to make him cry'.... He needs to understand that the happy, non-crying baby ending up dead or injured is a lot worse for everybody - including him.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Agree that many folk here think they don't need to follow the rules and scaring them into behaving is often the best way.

The selfishness angle probably would work with the mandatory child restraint thing too. Charlie big bananas does wear his seat belt (unless it's going to wrinkle his outfit of course) but he refuses to put his child in one. Sometimes he justifies that with 'but the child cries when I put the seat belt on. It is cruel to make him cry'.... He needs to understand that the happy, non-crying baby ending up dead or injured is a lot worse for everybody - including him.
Good point, thinking locally, I don't understand the mentality of not strapping the kids in.

I've wrestled with my Nephew in the UK to get him into a car seat when he was younger, it took most of my strength, a lot of negotiations and a trip to Maccy D's.

Bastard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.