Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

mandatory child car restraints in UAE

mandatory child car restraints in UAE

Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:00 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default mandatory child car restraints in UAE

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...rnage-on-roads

"The 2013 Global Status Report on Road Safety, which was based on 2010 baseline data, suggested three key federal laws the UAE needs: requiring back seat passengers to buckle up, making child car seats mandatory, and introducing helmet standards for motorcyclists.

The Government has been discussing legislation for mandatory child car restraints since 2008."

Discussions since 2008, seriously? There isn't enough evidence from other parts of the world to make this a total no-brainer. :
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mandatory child car restraints in UAE

Common sense and Arab mentality perhaps should not be used in the same sentence.
I see babies on parents knees in the front seat nearly everyday, try and confront them about it and it suddenly feels like you are the criminal !!!!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know one hospital that has a rule of not letting parents leave with their newborns without having a baby seat.

Mind you for our #2 Hospital we saw a few local couples departing with newborns wrapped tightly in mums arms in the front seat for the drive home, such a sweet sight, until the inevitable happens.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:54 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I see no need for car seats if Allah is looking after them.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
Common sense and Arab mentality perhaps should not be used in the same sentence.
I see babies on parents knees in the front seat nearly everyday, try and confront them about it and it suddenly feels like you are the criminal !!!!
I did this a couple of times while driving around Bahrain but I got the impression that the people I was shouting/gesticulating at didn't have the faintest idea what I was going on about.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I remonstrated with a local couple about this and the dangers, just trying to quietly point out the facts, the guy went up like a bottle of pop, telling me to mind my own business and go home to my own country etc etc. 3 hours later I received an invitation to go to Rashadiya Police Station where I was "interviewed" and detained for about 5 hours and finally told that the local had decided to not press charges!!!!!! Charges for what??????? to say I was a tad pissed off would be an understatement, so now I adopt the attitude that who I am I to interfere and defer their entry to paradise being the Infidel I am!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PS, I do think the comment this was my country 40 odd years ago did not help matters, after 10 minutes of abuse did not help
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:20 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
Last year I remonstrated with a local couple about this and the dangers, just trying to quietly point out the facts, the guy went up like a bottle of pop, telling me to mind my own business and go home to my own country etc etc. 3 hours later I received an invitation to go to Rashadiya Police Station where I was "interviewed" and detained for about 5 hours and finally told that the local had decided to not press charges!!!!!! Charges for what??????? to say I was a tad pissed off would be an understatement, so now I adopt the attitude that who I am I to interfere and defer their entry to paradise being the Infidel I am!!!!!
Fair play for saying something though mate.

I wouldn't on the basis that exactly the above might happen.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

of all the mind numbingly batshit crazy stuff that goes on here, the lack of a child seat law truly baffles me.

Given that we live in a country where quite literally if one man decides it should be a law then it will be a law the following morning

why the **** is there no child safety seat law?

really why?

there is a law for front seat safety belts so its not about allah and fate. Why are children deemed to be immune to the laws of physics?

a 5 second "make it so" would bring in a law that would save god only knows how many local kids lives.

why the **** is this not a law? what can there possibly be to discuss about it
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:40 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am of the view that I really do not care*. A law would make no difference as many would ignore it and any law is unlikely to be enforced on those that are most likely to break it.

If you are going to use a seat then you don't need a law to tell you to do so.

* the only issue is crashing into a muppet who isn't using a car seat, but we take similar risks all day everyday here.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

It is like pissing in the wind, they are so blinkered about certain things, beggars belief ..........now if it is not directly interfering with me I just crack on!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
* the only issue is crashing into a muppet who isn't using a car seat, but we take similar risks all day everyday here.
The presence of a car seat may be the difference between the other driver getting a 400 dhs fine or being in jail until he pays blood money
Dont know which country in the Gulf but I am sure I have read somethign about a child falling out of a window, and the driver in the next lane who hit the child being punished

Last edited by Maxima; Aug 20th 2013 at 7:13 am.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it is Law it won't be implemented. Shame for the kids though who end up dead due to their parents ignorance. I will be giving out Buckle up in the Back car stickers at the next ARTE in September if anyone wants one.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Ditto.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:31 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Originally Posted by Maxima View Post
The presence of a car seat may be the difference between the other driver getting a 400 dhs fine or being in jail until he pays blood money
Dont know which country in the Gulf but I am sure I have read somethign about a child falling out of a window, and the driver in the next lane who hit the child being punished
exactly. I saw an accident in the ranches where a woman crashed into a car that pulled out on her. The kid wasn't strapped in -- 'you could have killed my baby was the cry'

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.