British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Mall of the Emirates outlet........... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mall-emirates-outlet-700253/)

The Dean Jan 12th 2011 6:28 am

Mall of the Emirates outlet...........

This just in from the "You Learn Something Every Day" department........

I heard there was a place at MotE that sells... er... intoxicating beverages...

Really? :confused:

Never seen it - is it true, and where is it? I'm assuming it's not Aisle 23 in Carrefour?

I also assume a licence is required?

Hello.Kitty Jan 12th 2011 6:53 am

Re: Mall of the Emirates outlet...........

yes, it's a red door just to the side of one of the entrances from the car park. Never been inside it though. It's not A&E, but the other one... MMI?

Autonomy Jan 12th 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9095153)
yes, it's a red door just to the side of one of the entrances from the car park. Never been inside it though. It's not A&E, but the other one... MMI?

Correct - MMI - yes you will need a license though. You don't need a license at Barracuda in Umm Al Quain etc...

Blue Cat Jan 12th 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9095118)

Never seen it - is it true, and where is it? I'm assuming it's not Aisle 23 in Carrefour?

Carrefour end, ground floor to the right of the sliding doors, and yes you need a licence and it's expensive ;)

Cynical Scot Jan 12th 2011 9:21 am

Don't forget about the first floor (Ski Dubai end) bar 'Apres' and the resteraunts Beiruit, St Maxims(?) & Salmontini - all good for a beveridge or three

Autonomy Jan 12th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Cynical Scot (Post 9095397)
Don't forget about the first floor (Ski Dubai end) bar 'Apres' and the resteraunts Beiruit, St Maxims(?) & Salmontini - all good for a beveridge or three

true - but they tend not to let you take out several unopened bottles...

Blue Cat Jan 12th 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Cynical Scot (Post 9095397)

Hello Cynical Scott and welcome to BE :thumbup: the fish and chips at Apres are really nice :)

lionheart Jan 12th 2011 1:39 pm

Never seen it - is it true, and where is it?

Are you serious? There are alcohol-selling outlets all over Dubai including most of the popular malls. Why should MOE be any different?

Blue Cat Jan 12th 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9095895)
Are you serious? There are alcohol-selling outlets all over Dubai including most of the popular malls. Why should MOE be any different?

there are a lot that don't have them, Wafi, Burjuman, City Centre (though I might be wrong about that one), Festival City, Ibn Battuta

lionheart Jan 12th 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9095958)
there are a lot that don't have them, Wafi, Burjuman, City Centre (though I might be wrong about that one), Festival City, Ibn Battuta

Festival City definitely has one (as I was there over the weekend) and I suspect some of the others do also. MMI and A&E are almost everywhere.

typical Jan 13th 2011 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9095958)

Ibn Battuta has an MMI, as does Festival City. :)

lionheart Jan 13th 2011 5:58 am

There are presently 13 MMI and 9 A&E outlets in Dubai and quite a few in Abu Dhabi too. None in Sharjah though for obvious reasons.

The Dean Jan 13th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9097879)
There are presently 13 MMI and 9 A&E outlets in Dubai and quite a few in Abu Dhabi too. None in Sharjah though for obvious reasons.

They're mostly not at malls though..........

For example, there's an MMI round the back of the Spinneys near the Ramada in Bur Dubai, which stands alone, and one just off Al Wasl.

I found the MotE outlet last night, and anyone entering and leaving (even on a regular basis) the mall at the Ski Dubai end would never come across it.

Ethos83 Jan 13th 2011 8:57 am

That would be the point. Imagine the reaction from all the proper muslim mummies and daddies if they knew they were pushing baby's stroller right pass a booze sin shop *every single time* they came to the MoE.

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9098113)
I found the MotE outlet last night, and anyone entering and leaving (even on a regular basis) the mall at the Ski Dubai end would never come across it.

The Dean Jan 13th 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9098154)
That would be the point. Imagine the reaction from all the proper muslim mummies and daddies if they knew they were pushing baby's stroller right pass a booze sin shop *every single time* they came to the MoE.

.... it was also my point........