Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Making Religion fit..................

Making Religion fit..................

Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making Religion fit..................

I hate starting a thread on this topic as we have done it to death but having said a few lines in Arabic last week and shaking hands with a Mufti I have been thinking.............

Most religious people seem to live their lives living around religion, but can we live our lives making religion fit around us?

For example I can believe in a creator, certainly not one from 2500 years ago but it wouldn't seem hard for me to believe that a 'Creator' started a form of life on Earth 4.5 Billion years ago. (It could be an Alien) So thats a religion tick

I would also say it is almost impossible this 'Creator' placed a child on this Earth to be tortured to death. That's an Islam tick and Christianity 0

I also believe books were written at a time of War and people trying to find their place on Earth so whilst relevant at the time a large quantity of the books can now be overlooked. The other parts explaining why we shouldn't eat Miss Piggy was again relevant at the time owing to the risks of eating it undercooked and storing it, Interestingly the same could be said of chicken?

So avoiding the savagery, helping avoid poisoning yourself there is also some basic moral codes in there which stand up today and a few stories about building boats or using PMA to part some water (A story about if you believe in yourself anything is possible)?

So my quandry, (I would be interested in Irishbeekeepers thoughts)

Will I pray, Nope
Will I fast, Maybe
Will I gave Zakat, I already do
Shahada, I know that
Hajj, We all know my thoughts on the Dark ages......

I am kind of half way there, so do I do as I originally thought and just say F*** that or work with it? I could make it fit to show Redshark and other brainwashed that religion can work in a western lifestyle without any major changes?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Religion fit..................

Do you have to give your beliefs a name?

Surely Zakat is just an organise system to giving to charity and for helping those less fortunate and most of us don't need a religion to do that.

If there were a god of some sort, surely they would prefer a person to be generally good and kind, rather than one who spends their time praying and not being terribly kind the rest of the time?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:04 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do you have to give your beliefs a name?

Surely Zakat is just an organise system to giving to charity and for helping those less fortunate and most of us don't need a religion to do that.

If there were a god of some sort, surely they would prefer a person to be generally good and kind, rather than one who spends their time praying and not being terribly kind the rest of the time?
I decided to post about dunking a penis as its less taxing on my brain than working this quandry out!

Obviously you are absolutely correct, my predicament here dictates that I must wear a tag which I am kind of tempted to keep if only to prove we can do it if we have to..... If that makes sense.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
rather than one who spends their time praying and not being terribly kind the rest of the time?
In which you describe the vast majority of GCC males.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

You had me there...until I got to your sig
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are looking for a religion that requires you to make no changes in your life ?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

Nah, thought about it for about 10 seconds then realised **** that. Was looking for excuses for doing what I had to do but seeing as the wife enjoys bacon sandwiches, a drink and smokes I don't think I should really care

The point is still the same though, I am sure I could make it fit around me and recite stuff to confirm it.

Last edited by britexpat76; Oct 9th 2013 at 4:17 pm. Reason: Forgot the point part.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76

The point is still the same though, I am sure I could make it fit around me and recite stuff to confirm it.
Why do you need to confirm anything that you believe? The fact that YOU believe is enough.
I don't need nor indeed want to justify what I do or don't believe in to anybody.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

I hate starting a thread on this topic as we have done it to death but having said a few lines in Arabic last week and shaking hands with a Mufti I have been thinking.............

Most religious people seem to live their lives living around religion, but can we live our lives making religion fit around us?

For example I can believe in a creator, certainly not one from 2500 years ago but it wouldn't seem hard for me to believe that a 'Creator' started a form of life on Earth 4.5 Billion years ago. (It could be an Alien) So thats a religion tick

I would also say it is almost impossible this 'Creator' placed a child on this Earth to be tortured to death. That's an Islam tick and Christianity 0

I also believe books were written at a time of War and people trying to find their place on Earth so whilst relevant at the time a large quantity of the books can now be overlooked. The other parts explaining why we shouldn't eat Miss Piggy was again relevant at the time owing to the risks of eating it undercooked and storing it, Interestingly the same could be said of chicken?

So avoiding the savagery, helping avoid poisoning yourself there is also some basic moral codes in there which stand up today and a few stories about building boats or using PMA to part some water (A story about if you believe in yourself anything is possible)?

So my quandry, (I would be interested in Irishbeekeepers thoughts)

Will I pray, Nope
Will I fast, Maybe
Will I gave Zakat, I already do
Shahada, I know that
Hajj, We all know my thoughts on the Dark ages......

I am kind of half way there, so do I do as I originally thought and just say F*** that or work with it? I could make it fit to show Redshark and other brainwashed that religion can work in a western lifestyle without any major changes?

I don’t think you have come up with anything new, in my circle we call your new discovery the Pizza religion!! Because it is based on the concept of pick and choose the values that suit you. You can call your new life style what you wish but most certainly there is nothing Islamic about it. I am afraid the religion of Islam settles for nothing less than a full submission to the will of the creator which, judging by how you present yourself, you are far, far away from this notion.

But having said so, and given the fact that your wife is not religious, I don’t think there is a compiling need for you to be any closer to the teachings of Islam.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:47 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by redShark
I don’t think you have come up with anything new, in my circle we call your new discovery the Pizza religion!! Because it is based on the concept of pick and choose the values that suit you. .
Is that not how the majority of Muslims work? Cannot count the number of 'Muslims' I see on a thursday night chasing girls whilst smashed out their heads followed by praying on a friday..........
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Is that not how the majority of Muslims work? Cannot count the number of 'Muslims' I see on a thursday night chasing girls whilst smashed out their heads followed by praying on a friday..........
I wonder how many topple over whilst nursing a hang over? Or should that be a balance disorder....?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:15 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I wonder how many topple over whilst nursing a hang over? Or should that be a balance disorder....?
Thats the fault of an infidel for making them drink....................
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats the fault of an infidel for making them drink....................
Ah! I knew infidels would be to blame somewhere along the line. We're always at fault. We even named alcohol..hang on a minute....
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Although it is true that those examples of Muslims you quoted are more or less the same as you, the vast majority of them, however, do believe in all the teachings of Islam and admit that they are guilty in what they are doing and always hopeful that one day they will repent and become religious. As far as Islam is concerned if they die before repenting and washing off their guilt they will be the lousy losers in the hereafter.

There is an important concept in the faith of Islam that makes it quite different from other religions such as Christianity, for example. While in Christianity, believing in Christ is sufficient to grant you acceptance into the kingdom of God (or at least that's what the Evangelists are implying), in Islam, however the equation is quite different. No where in Quran does it say that those who believe will go to heaven, it rather always says that those we believe and associate their belief with good deeds then they will be successful in that they will end up in heaven. So no matter how much faith a Muslim may have in Islam if he does not obey the teachings and the commandments of Quran then according to this divine justice he will end up in hell
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:39 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by redShark
Although it is true that those examples of Muslims you quoted are more or less the same as you, the vast majority of them, however, do believe in all the teachings of Islam and admit that they are guilty in what they are doing and always hopeful that one day they will repent and become religious So that basically gives them carte blanche to do what they want and repent their sins?. As far as Islam is concerned if they die before repenting and washing off their guilt they will be the lousy losers in the hereafter.Which kind of backs up my previous comment akin to Roman Catholics who can do as they wish so long as they repent?

There is an important concept in the faith of Islam that makes it quite different from other religions such as Christianity, for example. While in Christianity, believing in Christ is sufficient to grant you acceptance into the kingdom of God (or at least that's what the Evangelists are implying), in Islam, however the equation is quite different. No where in Quran does it say that those who believe will go to heaven, it rather always says that those we believe and associate their belief with good deeds then they will be successful in that they will end up in heaven. So no matter how much faith a Muslim may have in Islam if he does not obey the teachings and the commandments of Quran then according to this divine justice he will end up in hell
Obviously the last paragraph represents their own interpretation on the Quran? I am sure I could read it and have a completely different opinion to you but still be a good Muslim essentially? At least the Mufti did say that women did not have to cover their hair when challenged in my conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.