Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Making Money from Oil Price Movements

Making Money from Oil Price Movements

Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making Money from Oil Price Movements

How?
And assuming a modest initial invesment (say GBP5k).

Making Money from Oil Price Movements-africa.jpg
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:11 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Money from Oil Price Movements

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
How?

Attachment 95249
Buy a bowser of petrol???
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:13 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You are kidding?!
-
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:19 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
You are kidding?!
-
Who, me or RK?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:20 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Who, me or RK?
Me; everybody knows a bowser would cost more than that.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

hell of a lot of money to made doing that, also an impressively large amount to be lost. dont even think about it unless you know the market v v well, are extremely geopolitically aware and know how much fuel oil people in Seattle will use in 2012 and which way elections in shitty countries are likely to go in 2015.
or have a lot of money you dont care about losing are are hoping to get lucky

http://www.businessinsider.com/richa...on-fine-2010-8

The trading group associated with guy behind the $600 "vanity trade," the price to buy the first barrel of crude oil priced in the triple digits, at $100, will have to pay $12 million. Ouch.

Last edited by shiva; Aug 18th 2010 at 1:14 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Making Money from Oil Price Movements

How?
You need a way to predict the level of demand ahead of the rest of the market. Some kind of a variable that leads price fluctuations and is obscure enough that no one has looked for it yet. With oil however it’s such a widely used commodity, produced in so many ways that that it’s too difficult to predict with any degree of accuracy (Unless you control the taps and can shock the market). Of course if you hired the right people to blow holes in a few pipelines...

It’s probably easier to look for a commodity with a more constricted supply and isn’t easily fungible.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Who, me or RK?
You. High risk, need a lot of knowledge and time to do it properly. And probably some luck too. Even more risky than day trading and 95% of people lose money on that. Sorry, but it is not an area for amateurs unless you aren't bothered about losing your money.
-
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:21 pm
Hit 16's

Right, that's told me. Back to blackjack.

Thanks for the honest and forthright advice.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:01 pm
If I have to explain...

If you can drag up another 500 quid, I know someone with a nice bowser you can fill...

Last edited by Roadking; Aug 18th 2010 at 5:02 pm. Reason: ehrm, 1st comment just wasn't right!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:05 pm
Bored liberal

Stick to what you know.

Now, if you are interested in these magic beans...
-
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

How?

Attachment 95249
Hey Bahtatboy,

You live near sand. Just watch the geopolitical bunfight ratchet up near you and then invest in an oil major with good production and reserves.

Also start a rumour - it works elsewhere in markets
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:50 pm
Hit 16's

Roadking rides a 250cc Honda chopper. Now that's a rumour.

Welcome Greying Fox. How's it hanging?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Greying fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Roadking rides a 250cc Honda chopper. Now that's a rumour.

Welcome Greying Fox. How's it hanging?
For a greying fox, not so bad thank you.

Hopefully you make some money from movements. You just have to be aware when they will happen and move fast.