British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Making friends in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/making-friends-dubai-791442/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 11:55 am

Re: Making friends in Dubai

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10622432)
Looking at my old classmates (also an boys' school)

The average 'mathgeeks' is doing better in life than the average 'rugbygeeks'.

But both the most successful and least successful were 'rugbygeeks'.

Snap, rugby boys are for example:

Professional rugby
Doctor
Lawyer
Barrister

Mathgeeks;

IT / Programming stuff, but three have set up together.

I don't really care too much, I just know all the above from catching up with the one lad i still talk to at Xmas. Most of them are alright but I don't do keeping in touch too well.

Kix Mar 25th 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10622425)
An approved school was like an open borstal.

Not open as such Meow. We had dormitories to sleep in. But yes, to an extent we could come and go as we wanted.

Although obviously not during lesson times. Or overnight. So basically we were somewhat screwed.

Ethos83 Mar 25th 2013 11:59 am

The doctors, lawyers and barristers that my school produced have generally been more mathgeeks than rugbygeeks. We've produced relatively few programmers. I've always thought of IT/programming as more popular in the state sector (or among the Asian students) although I admittedly went to a fairy sporty boarding school so it can't be used as representative of the general scheme of things.

The successful rugbygeeks were more likely to go into finance - tons of the rugby players from my class are now bankers.

But almost everyone was an athlete of some type so I'm assuming your dividing line was based on whether you played rugby/hockey/football versus tennis/squash/running.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10622441)
Snap, rugby boys are for example:

Professional rugby
Doctor
Lawyer
Barrister

Mathgeeks;

IT / Programming stuff, but three have set up together.

I don't really care too much, I just know all the above from catching up with the one lad i still talk to at Xmas. Most of them are alright but I don't do keeping in touch too well.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10622446)
The doctors, lawyers and barristers that my school produced have generally been more mathgeeks than rugbygeeks. We've produced relatively few programmers.

The successful rugbygeeks were more likely to go into finance - tons of the rugby players from my class are now bankers.

But almost everyone was an athlete of some type so I'm assuming your dividing line was based on whether you played rugby/hockey/football versus tennis/squash/running.

My dividing line is much clearer.

Rugby/Football (to a lesser extent) or No Sport.

We didn't do other sports really. Some athletics but it was Rugby for Games and Running in PE. It ****ing blew.

Forgot to say, one of the Rugby boys was a mathgeek too and he's a banker.

mikewot Mar 25th 2013 12:06 pm

I'm with Scamps on organised sports. The school I went to in Aberdeen was on the highest hill, the sports field to the side of the TV mast. We had two teams for rugby/football/hockey, Tee's and skins.
I am a mountain leader and a x-country skier but don't do anything involving balls or sticks.

Ethos83 Mar 25th 2013 12:07 pm

The banking and corporate environments are popular among people who enjoyed playing team sports - there's a lot of similarities so people who thrive on team mentality and mindset naturally gravitate towards occupations where the same behavourial attitudes are prevalent.

Occupations that are more solitary - barristers, for example, have tons of tennis players. No surprise there.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10622451)
My dividing line is much clearer.

Rugby/Football (to a lesser extent) or No Sport.

We didn't do other sports really. Some athletics but it was Rugby for Games and Running in PE. It ****ing blew.

Forgot to say, one of the Rugby boys was a mathgeek too and he's a banker.

britexpat76 Mar 25th 2013 12:10 pm

We played Cricket and rugby. Though captain of the football team that didn't grant me as much kudos as being average at Rugby and Cricket,

Meow Mar 25th 2013 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10622444)
Not open as such Meow. We had dormitories to sleep in. But yes, to an extent we could come and go as we wanted.

Although obviously not during lesson times. Or overnight. So basically we were somewhat screwed.

Open in the sense of Ford Open Prison compared to Wormwood Scrubs.

Kix Mar 25th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10622475)
Open in the sense of Ford Open Prison compared to Wormwood Scrubs.

I understand the comparison however there were so many boys in there that had never ever commited a crime, were basically unwanted.

So comparing Ford Open Prison to Wormwood Scrubs Prison isn't really right.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10622464)
I'm with Scamps on organised sports. The school I went to in Aberdeen was on the highest hill, the sports field to the side of the TV mast. We had two teams for rugby/football/hockey, Tee's and skins.
I am a mountain leader and a x-country skier but don't do anything involving balls or sticks.

I loved rugby at school until it was taking up every Saturday instead of the odd one when fixtures couldn't be played after school. I also lost interest when teachers were suggesting we join the gym and dropped in the phrases 'have a shake' (protein) when we were all 14/15 yrs old. Got taken WAY too seriously.

We had reversible rugby shirts...very la-dee-da

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10622469)
The banking and corporate environments are popular among people who enjoyed playing team sports - there's a lot of similarities so people who thrive on team mentality and mindset naturally gravitate towards occupations where the same behavourial attitudes are prevalent.

Occupations that are more solitary - barristers, for example, have tons of tennis players. No surprise there.

INteresting, hadn't ever really considered it. Always seen rugby as a good thing - proper way into a sensible, middle class network....rather than into the proper toff Eton/Marlboro etc echelons of high society.

Sandboy Mar 25th 2013 12:29 pm

our school was mixed and never played rugby

so no fat lads, turned up collars or gayers

*actually can think of 3 gay lads off the top of my head from our class of 30 so scrap that :lol:

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10622509)
our school was mixed and never played rugby

so no fat lads, turned up collars or gayers

*actually can think of 3 gay lads off the top of my head from our class of 30 so scrap that :lol:

90% of them had collars up. Hated it. Especially when it was deemed good to wear two polo shirts of different colour with both collars up.

Wankers.

Sandboy Mar 25th 2013 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10622528)
90% of them had collars up. Hated it. Especially when it was deemed good to wear two polo shirts of different colour with both collars up.

Wankers.

it's unique to rugger fans, very weird

The Dean Mar 25th 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10622396)
Guessing you're too young to know what an"Approved School" was in the 70s...

I'm on your wavelength there...........

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 26th 2013 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10622642)
it's unique to rugger fans, very weird

Other unique thing to rugby is calling the ref 'Sir'.