British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Making friends in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/making-friends-dubai-791442/)

Saff_Parker Mar 22nd 2013 10:39 am

Making friends in Dubai

Don't really know what the point of my post is going to be, guess it's just me moaning and venting in a relatively safe space where nobody actually knows me and therefore I won't feel too embarrassed about having a moan. Two months into my new life as an expat in Dubai, this topic is bothering me.

I've joined a couple of random groups in Dubai that have regular meetups and I've met some nnice people, hung out often etc.. but there seems to be this ratio of like 10:1 of men to women. Therefore most new 'friends' I'm making are all men, and then it turns out that some of them were only interested in one thing. I'm a girly girl and I'm craving female company and friendship, but it seems hard to come by. They hide away, they're cliquey, or they don't want to go out and do things (ie my female flatmates just want to sit at home and watch tv on the weekend..)

Is this just how it is here?!:( Rant rant rant...

kittycat1 Mar 22nd 2013 11:38 am

Re: Making friends in Dubai

Hi Saff,

It can be really hard. It took me about 6 months to build some solid girlfriends here. Completely agree about men here. I have no straight male friends here (apart from friends husbands) which is really sad as I miss my male mates and the banter you have. :( But anyway it is what it is here. You will make girlfriends, it just takes time, mine are mostly through work and here, and then meeting friends through friends. Chin up chick. My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.

KC

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10618241)
My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.

It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!

kittycat1 Mar 22nd 2013 11:43 am

Thank you for that, Yes I am a loser. Actually I'm enjoying a well deserved day off, I'm full of a cold and the sofa has a lot of appeal today.

I'm off out tonight though- 3rd night in a row as well- this is the most I've been out all year!

Saff_Parker Mar 22nd 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618247)
It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!

:( well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker (Post 10618256)
:( well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!

I'm in Germany at work Ms Saff.

Back in GCC for my third stint next friday.

And (seriously) can't wait.

Ethos83 Mar 22nd 2013 1:11 pm

I never had trouble meeting women in Dubai. It helped that my first office had a lot of female employees although funnily enough most of my female friends were from outside the office.

What really got my social life going was joining a dragonboating team. There's several around and it's good exercise plus you meet a lot of expats mostly in their 20s and 30s. The teams are generally 2/3 men to 1/3 women but that's better than a 10:1 ratio.

Despite its reputation as a party town Dubai has a lot of athletic women so looking at the various sports/work out clubs is probably a good route to finding proper friends.

The Dean Mar 22nd 2013 1:45 pm

Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening....... men also welcome........... come to think of it, one of our nights out would be a good time.............

mentalist Mar 22nd 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10618439)
Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening.......

Would your other half be comfortable with such a rendezvous? Just curious.

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10618652)

Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...

The Dean Mar 23rd 2013 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618721)
Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...

She was Ukrainian?? Hmmm.......

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2013 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618721)

you're so cool...

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2013 3:26 am

Saff - we have a few girls in my office who moan about this sort of thing too. Sports is one good way, or maybe something like salsa if you don't fancy the sporty side.

Kix Mar 23rd 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10619461)
you're so cool...

The Ukrainian hooker WAS my mate's girlfriend!

Now ex.

Theseus Mar 23rd 2013 7:13 am

Decided to erase my last comment as I couldn't make it say what I was trying to say. Lol

weasel decentral Mar 23rd 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10618439)
Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening....... men also welcome........... come to think of it, one of our nights out would be a good time.............

She was looking for female friends not male friends; platonic or otherwise :p

weasel decentral Mar 23rd 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10618652)

that's like some kind of cyber cock-block :rofl:

britexpat76 Mar 23rd 2013 10:23 am

I have more female friends in Doha than Male ones.

commander Mar 23rd 2013 11:06 am

Are you sporty? I have loads of girl friends who train and race with us. If you are a runner (of any ability) there are really friendly and cool clubs. Same with triathlon..there is a new set up called TRI Dubai that welcomes all comers regardless of experience or ability. Loads of girls involved there. If you need any contacts or help to get involved, drop your knickers (err I meant me a pm)...:D

The Dean Mar 23rd 2013 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10619581)
She was looking for female friends not male friends; platonic or otherwise :p

Trust me - she will be more comfortable with a mixed crowd.............

jam25mack Mar 23rd 2013 5:41 pm

Again its sporty, loads of girls at circuit factory (google it).

Not really sure I agree with that fact tho. I know loads of girls in DXB.

Kix Mar 24th 2013 1:03 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10619685)
I have more female friends in Doha than Male ones.

That's cos of your very "female" side....

LOL

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10620157)
loads of girls at circuit factory (google it).

Oh good god, but they are absolutely peak of the patronising fit-bunch *****.

Got friends who go and enjoy it, that's it.

Got other friends who go and dear ****ing jesus the lord our saviour and all things holy do they never EVER EVER shut the **** up about Circuit Wankers.

Even the ****ing morons that run it are commenting on the facebook posts that people write on the facebook page for the place.

Do your exercise and shut the **** up, just ****ing dare try and talk to me about it. I'll repeat what happened last weekend...."yeah so I go to this place called Circuit Dickheads, it's full of really cool people and we're all really fit and I'm instantly better than you Scamp"..."oh right? *yawns in their face* give a shit, you're a boring **** *walks off*" - Got a bollocking from the mrs but was well worth it.

Saff - do it, but don't ****ing talk about it.

Millhouse Mar 24th 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10620600)

There are a lot of things in my life that fall into this category and circuit training isn't one of them.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10620602)
There are a lot of things in my life that fall into this category and circuit training isn't one of them.

Haha! Same here.

There is literally nothing worse than a fitnesswanker.

flares Mar 24th 2013 6:05 am

I've been doing TRX with my PT to reduce my BMI

Feelin great

Do it if you want to do it. Talk about it if you want to (to like minded souls probably better).

Each to their own n all that.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10620626)
I've been doing TRX with my PT to reduce my BMI

Feelin great

Do it if you want to do it. Talk about it if you want to (to like minded souls probably better).

Each to their own n all that.

My example is the extreme. The scenario of just meeting a few new people at a brunch for example...all they can / will talk about is whatever it is they are doing at Circuit Factory or something like that.

Cool. Good for you. Awesome. You're in better shape than you were a while ago. Great. I literally don't care that you now have a handful of almonds for a mid morning snack because eating little and often is good for you. I know, I don't care.

SaudiFlares, you're unlikely to be the above person...but crikey it grips my shit. (can you tell?)

flares Mar 24th 2013 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10620632)
My example is the extreme. The scenario of just meeting a few new people at a brunch for example...all they can / will talk about is whatever it is they are doing at Circuit Factory or something like that.

Cool. Good for you. Awesome. You're in better shape than you were a while ago. Great. I literally don't care that you now have a handful of almonds for a mid morning snack because eating little and often is good for you. I know, I don't care.

SaudiFlares, you're unlikely to be the above person...but crikey it grips my shit. (can you tell?)

Don't fight it Scampi

There's a lycra tri suit out there with your name on somewhere

Curiosity will get the better of you and there will be a 'Scamp fitness 201?' thread on here*

As Zammo says 'Just Say No'...or is it Nike 'Just Do It' I get mixed up.

*that no one will open after initial support apart from you to log your calorie intake

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10620644)
Don't fight it Scampi

There's a lycra tri suit out there with your name on somewhere

Curiosity will get the better of you and there will be a 'Scamp fitness 201?' thread on here*

*that no one will open after initial support apart from you to log your calorie intake

Hahahaha, I'm not too bad at the moment pal. The mrs prompted a healthier diet as she's wanting to be healthier and lose only a couple of pounds, figured it can't hurt and it supports her so I'm happy.

I'm waiting for Commander to log on and abuse me.

mikewot Mar 24th 2013 6:49 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10620644)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

jam25mack Mar 24th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10620600)
Oh good god, but they are absolutely peak of the patronising fit-bunch *****.

Got friends who go and enjoy it, that's it.

Got other friends who go and dear ****ing jesus the lord our saviour and all things holy do they never EVER EVER shut the **** up about Circuit Wankers.

Even the ****ing morons that run it are commenting on the facebook posts that people write on the facebook page for the place.

Do your exercise and shut the **** up, just ****ing dare try and talk to me about it. I'll repeat what happened last weekend...."yeah so I go to this place called Circuit Dickheads, it's full of really cool people and we're all really fit and I'm instantly better than you Scamp"..."oh right? *yawns in their face* give a shit, you're a boring **** *walks off*" - Got a bollocking from the mrs but was well worth it.

Ha ha ha, awesome! :rofl:

There are loads of women there tho. And fit ones too!

I know what you mean about the 'fanatics', I have done the monthly challenge twice and you do stand there listening to some of the folk thinking WTF!

Saudiflares.

BMI is a very misleading scale as it doesn't take different body shapes into account.

Poshy Mar 24th 2013 7:44 am

I prefer male company, I don't have any friends here to speak of really and don't mind, am happy in my own skin most of the time.

I'm foul mouthed, outspoken and downright rude...most of the time.
The Girlfriends I have at home are very much the same but on the same hand are extremely loyal and truthful like me !!! , I prefer that any day to back stabbers.

I have nothing to lose you see and my Husband dosn't really care what I say or do, he just groans and gives me 'that look' :blink: .... and my parents are dead so it's highly unlikely I will ever have to answer to anyone other than myself.

I have a one way ticket to hell for all the wrongs I have done and will have plenty of company down there so who cares anyway :cool:

Beer anyone ???? :thumbsup:

I won't actually turn up but it's interesting to see who is not afraid of me....:eek:

Kix Mar 24th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10620678)
I prefer male company, I don't have any friends here to speak of really and don't mind, am happy in my own skin most of the time.

I'm foul mouthed, outspoken and downright rude...most of the time.
The Girlfriends I have at home are very much the same but on the same hand are extremely loyal and truthful like me !!! , I prefer that any day to back stabbers.

You see my Husband dosn't really care what I say or do, he just groans and gives me 'that look' :blink: .... and my parents are dead so it's highly unlikely I will ever have to answer to anyone other than myself.

I have a one way ticket to hell anyway for all the wrongs I have done and will have plenty of company down there so who cares anyway :cool:

Beer anyone ???? :thumbsup:

I won't actually turn up but it's interesting to see who is not afraid of me....:eek:

Who is afraid of you?

Are you serious woman?

What a supercilious attitude you have.

Or maybe you're just so boring nobody would want to have a beer with you.

MataHari Mar 24th 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10620681)
Who is afraid of you?

Are you serious woman?

for once...spot on

Poshy Mar 24th 2013 8:17 am

haha !! :eek:

Poshy Mar 24th 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10620681)
Who is afraid of you?

Are you serious woman?

Absolutely not ! :D

aww don't get your knickers in a twist..I added the last bit as an after thought as I sounded scary in the post lol

Had to Google supercilious by the way

Meow Mar 24th 2013 1:10 pm

Who are these people who still go to the Circuit factory after all that dreadfully offensive advertising last year? They are the ones who thought it was just fine to incorporate Auschwitz in their advertising. They used it as a joke - because genocide is just so funny... :frown:

Saff. What sort of things do you like to do? There are loads of good people in Dubai, but it can take time to unearth the like-minded ones. Attending a BE evening is no bad idea. They may be a bit odd, but no-one I've met from here has been a total freak. ;)

Poshy - why are you "downright rude"? Might that be a reason why you have few friends here? :confused: That's not the impression I have of you.

jam25mack Mar 24th 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10621053)
Who are these people who still go to the Circuit factory after all that dreadfully offensive advertising last year? They are the ones who thought it was just fine to incorporate Auschwitz in their advertising. They used it as a joke - because genocide is just so funny... :frown:
u.

It's busier than ever as far as I know. Mainly as they get really good results. You go, you follow the challenge and you'll lose weight. It does what it says on the tin. End of.

As for the advertising, agreed that it was in bad taste but they did admit they had got it wrong and issued a public apology. Not much else they can do to make up for it.

And if fitness aint your thing, how about crafty stuff? Is there not loads of that going on?

commander Mar 25th 2013 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10620647)
Hahahaha, I'm not too bad at the moment pal. The mrs prompted a healthier diet as she's wanting to be healthier and lose only a couple of pounds, figured it can't hurt and it supports her so I'm happy.

I'm waiting for Commander to log on and abuse me.

No need for any abuse from me. The penny will drop sooner or later. You know I ran a 5K fun run last Friday. 18mins work, won the race and got 8000AED cash, hotel stays, meal vouchers...

That is motivation enough for me ;-)

Stay fat...the less competition the better

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 25th 2013 3:20 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10621974)
No need for any abuse from me. The penny will drop sooner or later. You know I ran a 5K fun run last Friday. 18mins work, won the race and got 8000AED cash, hotel stays, meal vouchers...

That is motivation enough for me ;-)

Stay fat...the less competition the better

I'd beat you if I wanted to.

If I didn't, I'd book the same hotel, the room above, and make your stay miserable.