British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Making friends in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/making-friends-dubai-791442/)

Saff_Parker Mar 22nd 2013 10:39 am

Making friends in Dubai

Don't really know what the point of my post is going to be, guess it's just me moaning and venting in a relatively safe space where nobody actually knows me and therefore I won't feel too embarrassed about having a moan. Two months into my new life as an expat in Dubai, this topic is bothering me.

I've joined a couple of random groups in Dubai that have regular meetups and I've met some nnice people, hung out often etc.. but there seems to be this ratio of like 10:1 of men to women. Therefore most new 'friends' I'm making are all men, and then it turns out that some of them were only interested in one thing. I'm a girly girl and I'm craving female company and friendship, but it seems hard to come by. They hide away, they're cliquey, or they don't want to go out and do things (ie my female flatmates just want to sit at home and watch tv on the weekend..)

Is this just how it is here?!:( Rant rant rant...

kittycat1 Mar 22nd 2013 11:38 am

Re: Making friends in Dubai

Hi Saff,

It can be really hard. It took me about 6 months to build some solid girlfriends here. Completely agree about men here. I have no straight male friends here (apart from friends husbands) which is really sad as I miss my male mates and the banter you have. :( But anyway it is what it is here. You will make girlfriends, it just takes time, mine are mostly through work and here, and then meeting friends through friends. Chin up chick. My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.

KC

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10618241)
My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.

It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!

kittycat1 Mar 22nd 2013 11:43 am

Thank you for that, Yes I am a loser. Actually I'm enjoying a well deserved day off, I'm full of a cold and the sofa has a lot of appeal today.

I'm off out tonight though- 3rd night in a row as well- this is the most I've been out all year!

Saff_Parker Mar 22nd 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618247)
It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!

:( well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker (Post 10618256)
:( well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!

I'm in Germany at work Ms Saff.

Back in GCC for my third stint next friday.

And (seriously) can't wait.

Ethos83 Mar 22nd 2013 1:11 pm

I never had trouble meeting women in Dubai. It helped that my first office had a lot of female employees although funnily enough most of my female friends were from outside the office.

What really got my social life going was joining a dragonboating team. There's several around and it's good exercise plus you meet a lot of expats mostly in their 20s and 30s. The teams are generally 2/3 men to 1/3 women but that's better than a 10:1 ratio.

Despite its reputation as a party town Dubai has a lot of athletic women so looking at the various sports/work out clubs is probably a good route to finding proper friends.

The Dean Mar 22nd 2013 1:45 pm

Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening....... men also welcome........... come to think of it, one of our nights out would be a good time.............

mentalist Mar 22nd 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10618439)
Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening.......

Would your other half be comfortable with such a rendezvous? Just curious.

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10618652)
Would your other half be comfortable with such a rendezvous? Just curious.

Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...

The Dean Mar 23rd 2013 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618721)
Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...

She was Ukrainian?? Hmmm.......

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2013 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618721)

you're so cool...

Millhouse Mar 23rd 2013 3:26 am

Saff - we have a few girls in my office who moan about this sort of thing too. Sports is one good way, or maybe something like salsa if you don't fancy the sporty side.

Kix Mar 23rd 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10619461)
you're so cool...

The Ukrainian hooker WAS my mate's girlfriend!

Now ex.

Theseus Mar 23rd 2013 7:13 am

Decided to erase my last comment as I couldn't make it say what I was trying to say. Lol