Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Making friends in Dubai

Making friends in Dubai

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Making friends in Dubai

Don't really know what the point of my post is going to be, guess it's just me moaning and venting in a relatively safe space where nobody actually knows me and therefore I won't feel too embarrassed about having a moan. Two months into my new life as an expat in Dubai, this topic is bothering me.

I've joined a couple of random groups in Dubai that have regular meetups and I've met some nnice people, hung out often etc.. but there seems to be this ratio of like 10:1 of men to women. Therefore most new 'friends' I'm making are all men, and then it turns out that some of them were only interested in one thing. I'm a girly girl and I'm craving female company and friendship, but it seems hard to come by. They hide away, they're cliquey, or they don't want to go out and do things (ie my female flatmates just want to sit at home and watch tv on the weekend..)

Is this just how it is here?! Rant rant rant...

Last edited by Saff_Parker; Mar 22nd 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making friends in Dubai

Hi Saff,

It can be really hard. It took me about 6 months to build some solid girlfriends here. Completely agree about men here. I have no straight male friends here (apart from friends husbands) which is really sad as I miss my male mates and the banter you have. But anyway it is what it is here. You will make girlfriends, it just takes time, mine are mostly through work and here, and then meeting friends through friends. Chin up chick. My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.

KC
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:40 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kittycat1
My social life is utter shit at the moment otherwise I'd invite you out with us.
It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that, Yes I am a loser. Actually I'm enjoying a well deserved day off, I'm full of a cold and the sofa has a lot of appeal today.

I'm off out tonight though- 3rd night in a row as well- this is the most I've been out all year!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kix
It must be you're on BE in BRUNCHTIME!
well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:06 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
well I guess you're here with us too, mr popular!
I'm in Germany at work Ms Saff.

Back in GCC for my third stint next friday.

And (seriously) can't wait.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never had trouble meeting women in Dubai. It helped that my first office had a lot of female employees although funnily enough most of my female friends were from outside the office.

What really got my social life going was joining a dragonboating team. There's several around and it's good exercise plus you meet a lot of expats mostly in their 20s and 30s. The teams are generally 2/3 men to 1/3 women but that's better than a 10:1 ratio.

Despite its reputation as a party town Dubai has a lot of athletic women so looking at the various sports/work out clubs is probably a good route to finding proper friends.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening....... men also welcome........... come to think of it, one of our nights out would be a good time.............
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Can I just point out that I'm a man who is not just interested in 'one thing'? I'd be happy to meet Saff, Kitty, and any other women who might be interested for a few drinks, and would not expect 'anything' at the end of the evening.......
Would your other half be comfortable with such a rendezvous? Just curious.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:54 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by mentalist
Would your other half be comfortable with such a rendezvous? Just curious.
Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Well as I met him with a Ukrainian hooker (and a mate's girlfriend) that I took there, I'm sure it's not an issue.

The thing is, if your relationship is good, why shouldn't your wife/husband have male/female friends.

It's sounding more like "When Harry Met Sally" every post on here.

Now where's that burger joint...
She was Ukrainian?? Hmmm.......
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
you're so cool...
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Saff - we have a few girls in my office who moan about this sort of thing too. Sports is one good way, or maybe something like salsa if you don't fancy the sporty side.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:39 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you're so cool...
The Ukrainian hooker WAS my mate's girlfriend!

Now ex.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to erase my last comment as I couldn't make it say what I was trying to say. Lol

Last edited by Theseus; Mar 23rd 2013 at 7:22 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.