British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Maid/nanny advice..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/maid-nanny-advice-694537/)

Oyibopeppeh Nov 23rd 2010 2:25 pm

Maid/nanny advice.....

Mrs Peppeh and I have a 3 yr old daughter here and are looking for a live-in maid/nanny.

We currently have one of Mrs Peppeh's vauge in-laws here with us on a visitor's visa due to expire mid December. She is a Ghanaian passport holder, and has a reasonable education (certificates notarized & attested).

My Company's PRO has already been along to see El Capitano of immigration and was prompty told "no Africans" would be granted maid's visas.

I was thinking of going along to see the man in uniform myself and doing a bit of grovelling....

Any other suggestions?

btw I won't even think about offering a brown envelope or a BJ :blink:

Blue Cat Nov 23rd 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Maid/nanny advice.....

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8999365)
Mrs Peppeh and I have a 3 yr old daughter here and are looking for a live-in maid/nanny.

We currently have one of Mrs Peppeh's vauge in-laws here with us on a visitor's visa due to expire mid December. She is a Ghanaian passport holder, and has a reasonable education (certificates notarized & attested).

My Company's PRO has already been along to see El Capitano of immigration and was prompty told "no Africans" would be granted maid's visas.

I was thinking of going along to see the man in uniform myself and doing a bit of grovelling....

Any other suggestions?

btw I won't even think about offering a brown envelope or a BJ :blink:

that may well be the rule, Lionheart might know more about this, (I am being serious).

Hello.Kitty Nov 23rd 2010 3:45 pm

there's a list of "approved" nationalities that can be maids here (yeah, just don't get me on how offensive that is!) and I think Ethiopian is the only African nationality allowed.

However, way back when I was thinking about an au-pair, some people said it was possible to get a different nationality approved, generally by seeing Top Dog in person and doing a bit of pleading.

Good luck!

Oyibopeppeh Nov 23rd 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks ladies, it's what I thought.

Pains me as it ****** does, looks like I'm gonna have to find a large tin of Quality Street for El Capitano's missus :sneaky:

Blue Cat Nov 23rd 2010 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8999491)
Thanks ladies, it's what I thought.

Pains me as it ****** does, looks like I'm gonna have to find a large tin of Quality Street for El Capitano's missus :sneaky:

or some Paatchi chocolates

Millhouse Nov 23rd 2010 4:11 pm

It is possible, our PRO just organised for some Pakistani maids (apparently not on the possible list). A guy I used to work with also managed to get an off-menu-maid.

I think you go to immigration and speak with the nice man. Take some dash along with you.