Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Maid abuse not restricted to the ME

Maid abuse not restricted to the ME

Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maid abuse not restricted to the ME

language barrier: We keep telling her to take a break, to go and rest, to stop working so hard, but she thought we were urging her to work more.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:56 pm

SugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It's a lot more than a lack of historical knowledge...it's often pure denial even when presented with facts.

N.
That's probably true. But to an extent you get that attitude everywhere. Every country has inhabitants who are unwilling to acknowledge certain aspects of the past. It's by no means an emirati phenomenon.

But admittedly you can't gloss over this stuff in the UK. I feel quite depressed whenever I look into our (uniccupied!) maid room. I can't understand how someone is meant to live in a room that small.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:18 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SugarMetal
I feel quite depressed whenever I look into our (uniccupied!) maid room. I can't understand how someone is meant to live in a room that small.
ours doesn't even have a window, only has the A/C extraction and doesn't have enough straight wall space for a single bed, let alone any kind of storage.

Makes a great pantry though.

I talked about it to my cleaner though and she smiled, shrugged and said it wasn't too bad... but then again, she's an eternal optimist - heck, she's a trained social worker in the Philippines, but earning more as a cleaner here.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

"Madagascar flies home maids abused in Lebanon"

ANTANANARIVO (AFP) – Madagascar's government early Thursday flew home 86 women domestic workers from Lebanon who had been subjected to abuse, amid concerns over the deaths of 17 Madagascan maids in the past year.Most of the women "had run away from their employers," said Population Minister Nadine Ramaroson as she welcomed them at Antananarivo airport.

"Their return home was negotiated by the Madagascan consul in Lebanon after either the women themselves or their families asked for them to be repatriated," Ramaroson said.

The government decided to charter a plane after numerous cases of abuse were reported. The Population Ministry received more than 600 repatriation requests from maids or their families.

The Union of Qualified Domestic Workers (SPDTS), an non-governmental organisation that helps the victims and their families, says that in the past year alone 17 Madagascan maids in Lebanon died from abuse suffered at the hands of their employers.

"There have been a lot of deaths," Prime Minister Camille Vital said. "That's why the government has decided to repatriate those who wanted to come home. The government is paying for this rapatriation."

On their arrival at the airport the young women were met by social workers from SPDTS and by staff from different ministries tasked with providing medical care and counselling.

"My boss used to hit me and didn't give me my salary. I'm very, very happy to be back home," said 25-year-old Leonie.

Another woman who gave her name as Augustine said: "The friend with whom I ran away from my boss wasn't able to get on the plane at the last minute. I'm really worried about her. She's not in good shape."

More than 7,000 Madagascans work in Lebanon, according to SPDTS. In 2010 around 500 of them came home before the end of their contract.
How many maids from India, Sri Lanka , Bangladesh,Ethiopia die and their own embassies cover it up. I recall a news article mentioning that the Indian embassy stopped keeping record of all the Indian labourers killed in the UAE.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
ours doesn't even have a window, only has the A/C extraction and doesn't have enough straight wall space for a single bed, let alone any kind of storage.

Makes a great pantry though.

I talked about it to my cleaner though and she smiled, shrugged and said it wasn't too bad... but then again, she's an eternal optimist - heck, she's a trained social worker in the Philippines, but earning more as a cleaner here.
Neither did our apartment (i.e. no window for maid's room ) and this was a luxury apartment (Baniyas Tower, Abu Dhabi) which in the early 90s was at the very top of the list for AD apartments. It did though have an attached bathroom, small as it was. We didn't have a maid so just used it as storage.