Madeleine McCann

Old May 2nd 2012, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Madeleine McCann

I watched Panorama last night.

It wasn't that interesting, it just highlighted the inept Portugese Police. It also brought up the fact that the Portugese all firmly believe the parents did it / covered it up.

Anyone got any good theories seeing as we are now 5 years down the line and there is still no sign of Maddie?
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madeleine McCann

People are venomous about the McCanns, and I have never understood why. Sure, they made a mistake, but they are paying the ultimate price. I feel so sorry for them.

As for theories, I do not believe any of the paedophile ring/stolen to order theories. There are (sadly) enough children in the world who would not be missed. Why choose a child like Madeleine?
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
People are venomous about the McCanns, and I have never understood why. Sure, they made a mistake, but they are paying the ultimate price. I feel so sorry for them.

As for theories, I do not believe any of the paedophile ring/stolen to order theories. There are (sadly) enough children in the world who would not be missed. Why choose a child like Madeleine?
Totally agree. I am 100 pct convinced of their innocence.

And the worst thing is - as the police assumed their guilt/involvement, they didn't start looking for 'anyone else' until it was too late........

There was also a lot of misreporting by the UK media at the time too, which helped to fuel the theories about the possible involvement of the parents.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

On the face of it, which is what I believe is that they are completely honest and the victims of a horrible abduction.

The popular Portugese opinion leads back to 'evidence' stating that she died in the apartment, leading to a cover up.

I wonder if we will see a reappearence in 15 years or something.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

They made a huge, terrible mistake that night but I don't believe for a second that they harmed her or are in any way involved. People should remember what they have lost before they stick the knife in. Awful story....
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
They made a huge, terrible mistake that night but I don't believe for a second that they harmed her or are in any way involved. People should remember what they have lost before they stick the knife in. Awful story....
Well said & totally agree. Everyone makes mistakes, but they were terribly unlucky. In 99%+ of similar situations the girl would have been just fine.

I think one of the reasons they got such a hard time from parts of the press and the public was that they appeared composed in front of the press, instead of weeping and wailing. A bit of middle stoicism seemed to make many people think that they didn't care.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:57 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point most people couldn't comprehend was the fact they left their children alone when they could of paid 5 euro's for a baby sitter. I am not a parent but I was never left alone as a child and I wouldn't leave a child alone myself.

But as you say, those actions will haunt them for the rest of their lives..........
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I think the point most people couldn't comprehend was the fact they left their children alone when they could of paid 5 euro's for a baby sitter. I am not a parent but I was never left alone as a child and I wouldn't leave a child alone myself.

But as you say, those actions will haunt them for the rest of their lives..........

There was a time when it really wasn't uncommon for parents to go to a neighbour's house and pop back and check on the children regularly. Children would also go out for play for most of the day, not under adult supervision. Admittedly the McCann children were young and yes, they probably should have paid for a babysitter, but so many other people have done the same and we cannot live our lives as if a kidnapper, paedophile or murderer is one every corner - as they really are not.

From outset the focus should have been on trying to find the girl, not apportioning blame. Pointing fingers now will make no difference either.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
From outset the focus should have been on trying to find the girl, not apportioning blame. Pointing fingers now will make no difference either.
Wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

A child is still missing after 5 years ? Thats torture alone for any parent.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:44 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a time when it really wasn't uncommon for parents to go to a neighbour's house and pop back and check on the children regularly. Children would also go out for play for most of the day, not under adult supervision. Admittedly the McCann children were young and yes, they probably should have paid for a babysitter
I am a 70's child and I went out at 9am every day off school and only came home twice a day to eat before going to bed, but we don't live in those times anymore meow.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:48 pm
Bored liberal

I am a 70's child and I went out at 9am every day off school and only came home twice a day to eat before going to bed, but we don't live in those times anymore meow.
Do we really think that the world is a far more dangerous place than it was then? Or how much of it is perception? Maybe children are over-protected these days?

I don't know the answers to the questions, but I do wonder if we over-react these days?
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing has changed. The rate of child abductions has not increased over the last 50 years. It's our perception that has changed.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:51 pm
Shark Fisherman

Do we really think that the world is a far more dangerous place than it was then? Or how much of it is perception? Maybe children are over-protected these days?

I don't know the answers to the questions, but I do wonder if we over-react these days?
When I replied I thought exactly the same thing?? Why is it so much more dangerous now than then, or perceived to be.

Is it the fact we don't have village bobbies anymore giving us clips around the ears?

Is it violent video games??

TV??

Or is it infact just the same as it was in the 70's?
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

It can't have changed that much.

I am a 90's kid, I used to walk to and from school on my own, come home and stay at home alone until Mum got in from work, then I was allowed out with mates.

On the weekends / holidays I was allowed out all day playing footie or out on our bikes in the woods. Rule was to check in and say hello to Mum every 2 or 3 hours (and get a cheeky ham roll).

Kids can barely breathe without being hammered. Noticed it with my Nephews and Niece back home. Kids are house bound like fat little trolls.
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing has changed. The rate of child abductions has not increased over the last 50 years. It's our perception that has changed.
I'm afraid that's a false analogy. The number of unwatched / out-alone kids in any situation must have decreased dramatically, and presumably they're the ones still being adbucted. If the rate (as a measure of all kids) hasn't changed, then the abductions per unwatched / out-alone kids must have shot up dramatically. Or am I making a false assumption somewhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.