British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   MacBook and Skype? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/macbook-skype-555867/)

Robbies Aug 18th 2008 4:39 am

MacBook and Skype?

We bought a new MacBook at the weekend as a change from our existing Windows PC... absolutely love it, but after installing Skype I'm getting frustrated as I no longer have any contacts showing.

I logged back into Skype on the PC and have the full list. On Fring on my mobile phone I have my full contact list. But on Skype on the Mac I have none. Tried exporting the contacts from Windows Skype to a .vcf file, but there is no import from file option on Mac Skype. If I add them to address book, the skype names don't carry into Skype - only actual phone numbers.

Am I missing something, or do I need to add each of my contacts again? This is pretty difficult esp where contacts have their details showing only to their contact list (as it means I can't search for them)

Any advice appreciated!!

Cheers
Mike

Spugsy Aug 18th 2008 4:52 am

Re: MacBook and Skype?

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6689658)
We bought a new MacBook at the weekend as a change from our existing Windows PC... absolutely love it, but after installing Skype I'm getting frustrated as I no longer have any contacts showing.

I logged back into Skype on the PC and have the full list. On Fring on my mobile phone I have my full contact list. But on Skype on the Mac I have none. Tried exporting the contacts from Windows Skype to a .vcf file, but there is no import from file option on Mac Skype. If I add them to address book, the skype names don't carry into Skype - only actual phone numbers.

Am I missing something, or do I need to add each of my contacts again? This is pretty difficult esp where contacts have their details showing only to their contact list (as it means I can't search for them)

Any advice appreciated!!

Cheers
Mike

it shouldn't make any difference at all, it's still your account, the fact thats it's a lovely mac shouldn't change a thing.

Robbies Aug 18th 2008 5:03 am

That's what I thought... Dammit. Couldn't find anything on t'internet of others with the same issue. Will get back to it tonight to see if anything has changed.

Loving Mac though - much easier to set up than Windows for home network etc.

Spugsy Aug 18th 2008 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6689691)
That's what I thought... Dammit. Couldn't find anything on t'internet of others with the same issue. Will get back to it tonight to see if anything has changed.

Loving Mac though - much easier to set up than Windows for home network etc.

macs are dead easy, for example the internet, plus in your cable and it just finds it all and you're on, you can't go wrong.

I've got one of the new iMacs, 24" one, it's bloody brilliant.

Robbies Aug 18th 2008 6:53 am

...one of those is next on the shopping list as the home 'hub', along with an Apple TV box. They'll be 2009 purchases though due to immenent arrival of Robbie Jnr

nottmbantam Aug 18th 2008 7:08 pm

Yup, your contacts should show up as normal on your lovely Mac.

I bought a used G4 Powerbook just before I came out and its great. When I went back home, I logged back into the Windows machine we have at home and all the contacts were there.

Had a brand new 20" iMac at home which I've just sold. Decided I no longer needed it as I was out here with the Powerbook. ( The iMac was a replacement for an old G5 iMac which broke, Apple gave me a brand new one under the Apple Care Warranty )

Eeyore Aug 18th 2008 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6689844)
...one of those is next on the shopping list as the home 'hub', along with an Apple TV box

Apple TV's not as great as it looks because it won't play XviD/DivX files (unless you hack it).

Worldismine Aug 19th 2008 12:23 am

Spugsy, I c Tynside has found a new hero, will his enthusiasm keep on a Monday night in December against Fulham when its pissing down with rain and zero degrees?

Robbies Aug 19th 2008 3:09 am

tried a re-install of Skype last night, and still no contacts showing. Have it set to show all contact groups, and nothing there at all. Damn I am confused!! C

Spugsy Aug 19th 2008 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Worldismine (Post 6692269)
Spugsy, I c Tynside has found a new hero, will his enthusiasm keep on a Monday night in December against Fulham when its pissing down with rain and zero degrees?

I sure hope so...

GrecoRomano Aug 19th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6692549)
tried a re-install of Skype last night, and still no contacts showing. Have it set to show all contact groups, and nothing there at all. Damn I am confused!! C

which version of skype have you installed?

Worldismine Aug 19th 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6692703)
I sure hope so...

I was looking at his career highlights and most of the main things they showed were against the likes of Barca and Real, so he can shine against the big boys. But in 96 games for Mallorca he scored 5 goals, not sure how many assists he got thou. Either way he is good to watch, and seems dedicated, and is definitely a better acquisition than the more talented, but less motivated, Aimer.

Spugsy Aug 20th 2008 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Worldismine (Post 6694962)
I was looking at his career highlights and most of the main things they showed were against the likes of Barca and Real, so he can shine against the big boys. But in 96 games for Mallorca he scored 5 goals, not sure how many assists he got thou. Either way he is good to watch, and seems dedicated, and is definitely a better acquisition than the more talented, but less motivated, Aimer.

and let's not forget we got him on a free - yeh not many goals but then plenty of wingers don't get that many, as long ashe's involved in the goals I'll be happy.

Worldismine Aug 20th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6696259)
and let's not forget we got him on a free - yeh not many goals but then plenty of wingers don't get that many, as long ashe's involved in the goals I'll be happy.

Didnt realise he was free, Sky Sports reported it as undisclosed and their Spanish guy said they probably paid a bargain 3m. True, as long as he can unsettle opposing defenders and draw them in to create space for others then he will be earning his wages. I think Martins might be a shock Man Utd signing

Confucius Aug 20th 2008 6:45 pm

We are experiencing enormous traffic on the way home to Sharjah...