Losing Job and Banks

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:48 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing Job and Banks

Ours have been cut too. We pay ours off each month in full but what happens if we exceed the limit one month but pay off the full amount at the end of that month. I know there wouldn't be any interest but would they charge you for going over the limit
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:49 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Have 2 HSBC cards they cut one and as yet not the other, makes no difference as have only been over the limit they have given me once, cannot understand it as I pay it off in full every month
Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Maybe that is why - they are not making any money off you. Cut limit by 60% then you will reach the new limit quickly, hopefully exceed it and then they charge?

I have a colleague who was called up and told if he clears off his HSBC card by the end of March he will get a 15% reduced off money owed.
Surely what they are also doing is reducing their exposure. Reduce the limits, reduces the possible exposure, tempt those with balances to clear their balance reduces actual exposure....
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:53 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Ours have been cut too. We pay ours off each month in full but what happens if we exceed the limit one month but pay off the full amount at the end of that month. I know there wouldn't be any interest but would they charge you for going over the limit
Yes they do, I did have a card that you was supposedly safer when buying over the net, however once I got the card it was simply a card with a very low limit ie 2000dhs, anyway one month my bill was 1200 dhs and it was due for payment on the 26th of the month, on the 20th of the month I bought another item for 1100dhs but this amount would not be on my bill till the following month, however in their eyes I went over my limit (hence the limit they give you is not a monthly limit) hope you understand that,
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:57 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Yes they do, I did have a card that you was supposedly safer when buying over the net, however once I got the card it was simply a card with a very low limit ie 2000dhs, anyway one month my bill was 1200 dhs and it was due for payment on the 26th of the month, on the 20th of the month I bought another item for 1100dhs but this amount would not be on my bill till the following month, however in their eyes I went over my limit (hence the limit they give you is not a monthly limit) hope you understand that,
Oh bloody hell this is ridiculous as we use our cards as debit cards so will now have to keep track of what is being spent or just start using cash
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:01 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Oh bloody hell this is ridiculous as we use our cards as debit cards so will now have to keep track of what is being spent or just start using cash
I do exactly the same so yes we will need to keep an eye on it crazy eh! You know I have been away from the UK over a year now and not once has my bank or credit card people query that I am not in the UK, and I did expect that they would especially my UK bank, i send over enough to pay my UK bills every month and they have never even altered my overdraft limit. How different banks are eh!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

innocuous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Anyone have any idea what would happen if a bank I have a personal loan with finds out I have been made redundant but am still in the country making my pamyents?
I will be surprised if they are so proactive. I do not think anything matters to them until you default on the minimum monthly payment for a month or two. They could then freeze your account and induce a travel ban.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innocuous
I will be surprised if they are so proactive. I do not think anything matters to them until you default on the minimum monthly payment for a month or two. They could then freeze your account and induce a travel ban.
ha ha absolutely, it can take them a few months to file the case and then another few months for the courts to do something

A friend of mine had a row with one of the local banks, they were charging her fees when they shouldn't of, she closed the credit card and refused to pay the o/s balance until they sorted it out, 18 months later she got the call from the courts to show herself, it was only 3.500 aed so she paid it and the ban was lifted in 2 hours, oh in between going between one dept to the next to sort it out
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innocuous
You are wrong there - depending on the bank, they will freeze your account, bank your security cheque so that it bounces and file a police case in order to slap a travel ban. I know of numerous cases and have seen this happen first hand.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:35 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

HSBC Bahrain cancelled my Visa card for BD 10 late by 1 day, credit card minimum payment. Their internet banking is crap so have to go in person to pay which is a pain.

They said it is policy to cancel immediately if the minimum payment is not made.

I thought is was surely to their advantage to have people make payments late so they could charge interest.