Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new car... inspire me!

Looking for a new car... inspire me!

Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:26 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for a new car... inspire me!

Originally Posted by scot47
I always fancied one of those huge GMCs, much loved by the Mutawas in KSA.
Yeah! I got the GMC brother Chevy Tahoe. Living on the Middle East and not owning one of those at least once is a sin.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:32 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Personally, I would go for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT edition. Sensible family motor for the kids and the dog and utterly stupid at the same time.
It looks mean in black. Anything with SRT badge.

Or a Camaro ZL1.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Yeah! I got the GMC brother Chevy Tahoe. Living on the Middle East and not owning one of those at least once is a sin.
I had a long term loan of a GMC Jimmy Desert Fox many years ago. 350 cubic inch motor running through a slush-box. I absolutely loved it, although, being a short arse, some unkind cynic referfed me as being "A maggot on a hook..." C'est la vie...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:00 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Golf R32

preferably in pink
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:05 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

of course, if you want a "get the f*** out of the way" car, buy a Volvo XC90 v8. can outrun a 911, and doesn't get hurt if a corolla bounces off the side (bar a bit of paint work)

(experienced both scenarios... ummm...)
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:31 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
can outrun a 911
I am going to have to call bullshit on that claim, unless the driver was asleep or it was off road
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Stop bringing reality into this, I was about to suggest a Ferrari enzo as a viable school run vehicle
I saw a kid in L plates in a F40 back at uni....made me wince when he clipped the curb and stalled.

Still, not to often you can say you over took a Ferrari in a clapped out Renault 11
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Who ****ing cares?

You'll not hear anyone call you butch because it's engine is roaring and they'll only see your middle finger stuck up in a blur as you fly by.
They sound like a limp chicken and look like road kill though.

Also funny watching someone trying to pull away whilst on a hill and spinning backwards :/
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:58 pm
womble

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am going to have to call bullshit on that claim, unless the driver was asleep or it was off road
nah, what happened was he was on my arse, so I floored it, and then out maneuvered him on the highway... more a case of my better skills at driving a **** off v8 tank than him driving his daddy's money's car....
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:47 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
of course, if you want a "get the f*** out of the way" car, buy a Volvo XC90 v8.
I'm sorry, I don't care how big an engine it has, what the Volvo would actually say is something more along the lines of: "I'd be very obliged if you could please allow me to proceed, in your own time and performing all manoeuvres with utmost care for safety and precision of course. Thank you for your consideration."

100% tinted windows on a LandCruiser/Armada/Patrol and nobody will know for sure you're not local and will get out of your way...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
100% tinted windows on a LandCruiser/Armada/Patrol and nobody will know for sure you're not local and will get out of your way...
I have a matte-black, very dark tinted, lifted, Nissan Patrol on a 'C' plate (a local favourite). I get tailgated more in that car than any other car I have driven in this country. I don't do too much pushing people out of the way on motorways, but in traffic I can pretty much do what I like.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:24 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of love for the American 'muscle' cars on this thread. Personally I have been close to buying a Camaro and Charger (Challenger no way) in the past, but very happy I didn't in the end. They are fast in a straight line, sound wank with the factory exhaust and interior is just a small step up from that normally found in an 80's Datsun.

The 86 looks great, but it's a bit tame (compared to what it should have been). $5000 will get you a supercharger for it though...Fast and Furious style

If you want a family car with (loads of) power look no further than a BMW M5. There were a few decently priced ones on dubizzle just a couple of weeks ago...
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:24 am
womble

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I'm sorry, I don't care how big an engine it has, what the Volvo would actually say is something more along the lines of: "I'd be very obliged if you could please allow me to proceed, in your own time and performing all manoeuvres with utmost care for safety and precision of course. Thank you for your consideration."

Oh - I bought mine off a local, so yes, it has the tints. And yes, he gave me his business card which miraculously gets the police off my back when I show who I bought it from when they do a random hassle for tints
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I have been close to buying a Camaro and Charger (Challenger no way) in the past, but very happy I didn't in the end. They are fast in a straight line, sound wank with the factory exhaust.
I don't think there is anything 'factory' left on my Charger
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:27 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I don't think there is anything 'factory' left on my Charger
Have you changed the suspension so that it can go round corners as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.