British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Looking for a new car... inspire me! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/looking-new-car-inspire-me-786957/)

LaLaLayla Feb 11th 2013 3:28 am

Looking for a new car... inspire me!

OK, so I am in the market for a new car. I have just started a new job which will require me to whizz up and down SZR a few times a day, getting to work, getting home, doing the school run at lunchtime.... blah, blah.

I currently drive a Jeep Cherokee and, although it's a great car for weekends with kids and a dog, it really is no good as a commuter car. It's just not nifty enough for getting in and out of the traffic. I also have a Dodge Charger R/T which my husband drives. His commute is even longer than mine, so the Jeep would not be suitable for him, either. Otherwise the Charger would be perfect.

So... I am looking for something fast, a bit cool and with a big engine. Preferably a saloon. Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe a Mustang or a 300C or a Challenger, but I can't help feeling that these are men's cars. Does anybody else think that? I would love a Merc, but have had a few over the years and feel they are a bit, well, boring.

So, any suggestions? Thanks :)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 11th 2013 3:41 am

Re: Looking for a new car... inspire me!

Audi A5?

weasel decentral Feb 11th 2013 3:44 am

This one?

UKCityGent Feb 11th 2013 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10536946)
Audi A5?

Nooooo - It has to be Audi R8 (im waiting for the 2014 to be developed and im buying the beauty http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...ined-supercar/)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 11th 2013 3:51 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10536953)
Nooooo - It has to be Audi R8 (im waiting for the 2014 to be developed and im buying the beauty http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...ined-supercar/)

Why?

Soul-less and they can't even be bothered to paint the entire thing.

You can't love an R8.

UKCityGent Feb 11th 2013 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10536955)
Why?

Soul-less and they can't even be bothered to paint the entire thing.

You can't love an R8.

The only bad thing about it was the gearbox (but thats changed for 2013)

How can you not love a 518bhp,5.2-litre V10 engine, 62mph in 3.5sec. The GBP135,000 for the Plus, price tag does make you wince a bit but its a small price to pay

weasel decentral Feb 11th 2013 3:59 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10536963)
The only bad thing about it was the gearbox (but thats changed for 2013)

How can you not love a 518bhp,5.2-litre V10 engine, 62mph in 3.5sec. The GBP135,000 for the Plus, price tag does make you wince a bit but its a small price to pay

In fairness you are not exactly going to commute in this car, or do the school run are you?

to be helpful to the OP, how about something from the BMW M stable? Or as an outside bet a Focus RS (though it doesn't have the snob value and might be too small)

weasel decentral Feb 11th 2013 4:07 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10536963)
How can you not love a 518bhp,5.2-litre V10 engine, 62mph in 3.5sec.

Just curious about this, where does the average middle aged guy get to exploit this kind of performance?

UKCityGent Feb 11th 2013 4:10 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10536966)
In fairness you are not exactly going to commute in this car, or do the school run are you?

Why cant you commute in this car (I do admit its like a throughbred which is only used in a small field whereas you need good countryroads in the Lake District to really appreciate the handling of a car like this - rather than the Corniche and its 20 sodding traffic lights !)

Its also a good enough reason not to have kids !!

Bahtatboy Feb 11th 2013 4:14 am

VW CC R-Line. I have the previous version, the R36, which is based on the Passat saloon rather than the CC. 300 bhp, 0-100 in 5.5, 4-wheel drive, super-slick dsg gearbox with flappy paddles (definitely not a gimmick), stable as a rock at 200, corners superbly, supremely comfortable, airbags everywhere, reliable and discreet. CC much less brash inside than the R36. Had it for 3 1/2 years, would happily have another one (although I do hanker for a Mustang).

weasel decentral Feb 11th 2013 4:15 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10536978)
Why cant you commute in this car (I do admit its like a throughbred which is only used in a small field whereas you need good countryroads in the Lake District to really appreciate the handling of a car like this - rather than the Corniche and its 20 sodding traffic lights !)

Its also a good enough reason not to have kids !!

I'd imagine you will spend your time driving diagonally over speed ramps, scraping the body work off various kerbs and raised lips that you never notice in a regular car.
Plus the running costs for a commuter car would be ridiculous, it probably has a service schedule of every 5,000 miles.

The Dean Feb 11th 2013 4:19 am

Layla will get withdrawal symptoms if she gets anything other than an American car......... bizarre, but there you go............ :blink:

Blue Cat Feb 11th 2013 4:20 am

http://www.toyota.com.au/86

We got one of these last week, it's bloody fabulous :thumbup:

UKCityGent Feb 11th 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10536985)
I'd imagine you will spend your time driving diagonally over speed ramps, scraping the body work off various kerbs and raised lips that you never notice in a regular car.
Plus the running costs for a commuter car would be ridiculous, it probably has a service schedule of every 5,000 miles.

Errrr nope, nope, and yes get it serviced every 3 months or so - the garage comes and picks it up from work, do what they need to do if anything, and drops it back at work and im none the wiser (they pick up the keys from security).

LaLaLayla Feb 11th 2013 4:21 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10536987)
Layla will get withdrawal symptoms if she gets anything other than an American car......... bizarre, but there you go............ :blink:

Actually, I am open to all nationalities :D. It is just a coincidence that both my cars are American. All my other cars have been German. With the exception of the Ford Capri I had in London..