British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Looking to make new acquaintances / friends (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/looking-make-new-acquaintances-friends-876326/)

Matthew1969 Apr 22nd 2016 9:11 am

Looking to make new acquaintances / friends

Just moved to Juffair, Bahrain, and new to the whole expat experience. Where is the best place / bar (?) to meet new people and make friends in the local area? I can be a bit introverted to start with so not a natural at making new friends from a cold start. Ant steers or pointers would be appreciated.

mikelincs Apr 22nd 2016 9:51 am

Re: Looking to make new acquaintances / friends

Originally Posted by Matthew1969 (Post 11929291)
Just moved to Juffair, Bahrain, and new to the whole expat experience. Where is the best place / bar (?) to meet new people and make friends in the local area? I can be a bit introverted to start with so not a natural at making new friends from a cold start. Ant steers or pointers would be appreciated.

Welcome to BE.

You would be better to ask the question in the Middle East forum, this forum is mainly for irreverent off topic discussions.

Middle East - British Expats

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2016 10:07 am

Trip Advisor may be of help if you don't get any good ideas from the ME folk.

Here's a not-good idea: Diggers (bar), at the Delmon International Hotel. 90% of the clientele would he happy to be your friend in exchange for a contribution to, usually, Chinese children's education and schooling.

Jerseygirl Apr 22nd 2016 11:34 am

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our Middle East forum.

co durham boy Apr 23rd 2016 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11929324)
Trip Advisor may be of help if you don't get any good ideas from the ME folk.

Here's a not-good idea: Diggers (bar), at the Delmon International Hotel. 90% of the clientele would he happy to be your friend in exchange for a contribution to, usually, Chinese children's education and schooling.

I think that's a tremendous idea

Irishbeekeeper Apr 24th 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11930144)
I think that's a tremendous idea

same here
Ive been sponsoring many in Thailand and Philipines for a long time now :rofl:

Paracletus Apr 25th 2016 8:51 pm

I lived in Adliya, and I used to go to diggers and TC's as the house bands would play a bit of Slayer. Good times..The owner at Diggers was never pleased when I tried to have him photobomb my selfies whilst talking to his guests about meeting his other guests. But my Bahraini friends tell me it has changed since my days, my only remaining non local friends have gotten kids and marriage, so tend to keep a low profile on the social scene..

I tended to find Juffair a bit loud for my liking (Too much american navy boy attitude). Nicer bars in Adliya. I remember JJ's being quite popular with the expat crowd. I tended to go to McGinty's (? Can't seem to find anything on it online..or remember what hotel it was attached to), or even sit in the bar at Jim's.

jam25mack Apr 26th 2016 5:40 am

Polo Gastro Pub is meant to be a decent place for beers and to watch a game or two.

Inselaffen Apr 26th 2016 7:19 am

Rugby Club has a nice bar

iggle Apr 26th 2016 7:43 am

Join tinder.

Bob Apr 26th 2016 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11932235)
Join tinder.

Wondering when someone was going to suggestion that :lol:

Welcome to BE :)

Meow Apr 28th 2016 10:30 am

Not responding to anyone isn't a great way to make new friends in the region...

Bahtatboy Apr 28th 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11934569)
Not responding to anyone isn't a great way to make new friends in the region...

Especially considering that 5 1/2 out of the 8 responses were actually helpful. That's a bloody good hit rate.

Matthew1969 Apr 28th 2016 4:00 pm

Sorry for the lack of response / appreciation just taking on board all the feedback....From reading all then suggestions I could get into some serious trouble if I visited just half of the places suggested....I was talking to a work colleague just this morning and he said he was looking forward to his 'Chinese take-away tonight'. When I asked where the best Chinese restaurant was, he just started laughing...I get it now (okay so I'm a bit slow / naive)

Irishbeekeeper Apr 28th 2016 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew1969 (Post 11934840)
Sorry for the lack of response / appreciation just taking on board all the feedback....From reading all then suggestions I could get into some serious trouble if I visited just half of the places suggested....I was talking to a work colleague just this morning and he said he was looking forward to his 'Chinese take-away tonight'. When I asked where the best Chinese restaurant was, he just started laughing...I get it now (okay so I'm a bit slow / naive)

Heres a tip : hang out with that colleague of yours more often :thumbsup: