Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Long term traffic diversion on SZR...?!

Long term traffic diversion on SZR...?!

Old Oct 25th 2014, 6:36 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long term traffic diversion on SZR...?!

Traffic diversion on Shaikh Zayed Road, Dubai, from Saturday | GulfNews.com

Dubai: The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai will put in place on Saturday, October 25, a long-term traffic diversion on Shaikh Zayed Road to ensure the smooth work of the canal project.

The traffic diversion is possible due to the completion of required works at Al Safa Park, according to a statement from RTA.

Traffic on Shaikh Zayed Road (in the direction of Dubai) is being diverted while maintaining the same number of the existing lanes, said RTA.

Work had started in building the northern bridge in the direction of Dubai on Shaikh Zayed Road near the metro line, having diverted the traffic directly from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, said Engineer Maitha Bin Udai, CEO of RTA Traffic and Roads Agency.

The traffic diversion will be in place throughout the project construction period to give way for completing of the Dubai Water Canal project.

eh? that doesnt explain too much. Exactly where does the diversion start and where does it end?
"having diverted the traffic directly from Abu Dhabi to Dubai"
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term traffic diversion on SZR...?!

Old news surely? Most of us working in the area have been dreading today for some time. Despite the RTA assurances, most expect it will prove chaotic at rush hour times, both morning and evening.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:43 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic and driving standards have consistently been going to shit since the turn of the year and I'm sure this diversion will do nothing but make it worse.

The plan from RTA actually looks pretty reasonable if they can pull it off, but the big problem is the number of bell-ends in this place who will create chaos where the lanes are reduced.

I'm not planning any trips to the other side of the city unless I have to for the foreseeable future. Dubai Mall is also a no thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-...-canal-811065/
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

There's a parallel section diverted about half a kilometer long on the side headed to abu dhabi by the mazaya centre. I think it was the first time I've been through it today, i'd not noticed it before.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:08 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well Im new here (only 2 years) so only JUST starting to understand the subtle art of traffic avoidance. So in theory, if one is to go from Bur Dubai to lets say Discovery or beyond to Abu Dhabi...
One takes the AlKhail road from Wafi Mall and travels (parallel to SZR) all the way past AlQuoz, swing past the unmentionables of Discovery Garden / Jebale Ali Village and carry on till one gets on to the later part of SZR heading out towards AD? A bit of an extra mileage but hassle free right? Or am I missing something?
I have an upcoming drive from Bur Dubai to AbuDhabi and I am looking for an excuse to get out of it

https://maps.google.ae/maps?client=o...classic&dg=brw
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Well Im new here (only 2 years) so only JUST starting to understand the subtle art of traffic avoidance. So in theory, if one is to go from Bur Dubai to lets say Discovery or beyond to Abu Dhabi...
One takes the AlKhail road from Wafi Mall and travels (parallel to SZR) all the way past AlQuoz, swing past the unmentionables of Discovery Garden / Jebale Ali Village and carry on till one gets on to the later part of SZR heading out towards AD? A bit of an extra mileage but hassle free right? Or am I missing something?
I have an upcoming drive from Bur Dubai to AbuDhabi and I am looking for an excuse to get out of it

You will find jams at the end of Al Khail Rd either on Hessa Street if you join SZR there or around Green Community if you continue south. As its also quite a trek from Bur Dubai to Al Khail Rd, I would stick with SZR all the way myself
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Traffic and driving standards have consistently been going to shit since the turn of the year and I'm sure this diversion will do nothing but make it worse.
I thought it was just me who complained about this - the general standards seem to have nose dived, feels like taking your life in your hands every time you get onto SZR.

We did have the first tram crash a few weeks ago (I didn't see anything in news about it) next to Dubai College, someone coming out of the school took out the front of a tram.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper

You could just stick the Sheikh's Helmet, but other option is Al Khail (I go down Al Khail every day to JLT). Ignore Umm Sequiem and Hessa, the junction after Hessa is Al Khamila street I think. It's a small junction. Go down there, straight over first flyover, left under next one which is alongside a school.

Follow through all the houses to big junction. I go left over flyover into JLT but if you stick right you can go on to the Sheikh's Helmet by Marina Mall
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:39 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Al Khail (I go down Al Khail every day to JLT). Ignore Umm Sequiem and Hessa, the junction after Hessa is Al Khamila street I think. It's a small junction. Go down there, straight over first flyover, left under next one which is alongside a school.
I use Al Khail because I live in JVT (and coming off at Exit 10, Al Khamila almost takes me to me door) but you are obviously not aware of the new road just opened. The D59 runs off E311 (Sheik Mo road) 800 metres past the ENOC petrol station and it runs between Jumeirah Park and Disco Gardens. You can get off to JLT or carry on for SZR either direction, or Marina (straight along the front road parallel to SZR) or JBR. By March (say the RTA) the link through to Ibn Battuta mall will be open relieving the nightmare jams into Disco Gardens by giving another road in/out. It is quite literally a 5 minute drive to SZR from the E311 on this road.

Last edited by mikewot; Oct 26th 2014 at 5:42 am.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:53 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I use Al Khail because I live in JVT (and coming off at Exit 10, Al Khamila almost takes me to me door) but you are obviously not aware of the new road just opened. The D59 runs off E311 (Sheik Mo road) 800 metres past the ENOC petrol station and it runs between Jumeirah Park and Disco Gardens. You can get off to JLT or carry on for SZR either direction, or Marina (straight along the front road parallel to SZR) or JBR. By March (say the RTA) the link through to Ibn Battuta mall will be open relieving the nightmare jams into Disco Gardens by giving another road in/out. It is quite literally a 5 minute drive to SZR from the E311 on this road.
I second that route. Came back from Al Qudra on Friday morning and what is usually a 40 minute drive was reduced to about 25 minutes. Only issue I can see is that there are a lot of families in Jumeriah Islands which could cause a bit of traffic but on the whole its a good addition to the road network :-)
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:10 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I thought it was just me who complained about this - the general standards seem to have nose dived, feels like taking your life in your hands every time you get onto SZR.

We did have the first tram crash a few weeks ago (I didn't see anything in news about it) next to Dubai College, someone coming out of the school took out the front of a tram.
Not a day goes by without at least one near-miss these days and I'm not even travelling far (Palm to JAFZA gate 4). One of the things which seem to have been getting a lot worse is the 'pull into my safe distance gap and brake'. Stupid fc.ukers!

Yeah the tram will be interesting. Even in cities where people drive properly and they have had trams for years there are plenty of accidents. Oslo for example has at least a couple big ones a week. I heard on the radio that RTA have issued new rules and massive fines for issues related to the tram. Haven't seen any mention of what they are though although there is a big sign up by the depot (next to Wellington International). Shame I've been going to fast to actually read it so far...
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:21 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

N I heard on the radio that RTA have issued new rules and massive fines for issues related to the tram. Haven't seen any mention of what they are though although there is a big sign up by the depot (next to Wellington International). Shame I've been going to fast to actually read it so far...
Stiff fines for not observing Dubai Tram road rules | GulfNews.com

RTA has announced huge fines for various offences related to disruption of tram movement, ranging from Dh2,000 to Dh30,000.
Among the biggest offences is jumping the red light at a tram intersection and causing a fatal accident. This offence could lead to a fine in the range of Dh10,000 to Dh30,000 along with suspension of the offender’s driving licence for up to one year.
Jumping the red light and causing an accident resulting in injuries will lead to fines of Dh5,000 to Dh15,000. Driving licence of the motorist who caused the accident will be revoked for 30 days to six months.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Stiff fines for not observing Dubai Tram road rules | GulfNews.com

RTA has announced huge fines for various offences related to disruption of tram movement, ranging from Dh2,000 to Dh30,000.
Among the biggest offences is jumping the red light at a tram intersection and causing a fatal accident. This offence could lead to a fine in the range of Dh10,000 to Dh30,000 along with suspension of the offender’s driving licence for up to one year.
Jumping the red light and causing an accident resulting in injuries will lead to fines of Dh5,000 to Dh15,000. Driving licence of the motorist who caused the accident will be revoked for 30 days to six months.
If you jump a red light and kill someone surely you should be done for at least manslaughter and dangerous driving, ie spend time in jail! Those are huge fines compared to what is normally applied these parts, but still seems too small to actually make a difference. Anyway..what do I know..
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:52 am

One of the things which seem to have been getting a lot worse is the 'pull into my safe distance gap and brake'. Stupid fc.ukers!
THAT!!

*waggle waggle* why u no put your bonnet next to other car bumper eh? you no good driver *waggle waggle*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.