Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

London and the Olympics

London and the Olympics

Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default London and the Olympics

So I know some of you couldn't really give a rats arse about the UK anymore, however I still love london and miss it terribly, whenever i go home I feel a real pull to go back. Anyway I've just got back after a trip back and was astouded at the mess London is in due to the Olympics- I feel sorry for any tourists that have decided totravel there this year as everything is being dug up, or has scaffolding all over it getting it prepared for next year.

I also have friends that have been told they will need to vacate their flats for the summer next year or find alternative residence whilst their landlords rent out the flats for as much as 1000 a night... also they are predicting that any journey across london will need at least 2 hours added to journey time due to station closures and extra footflow.

So not only have you been paying higher tax as a Londoner to pay for the olympics, chances are you haven't managed to get any tickets, the city is being dug up left right and centre and you may get booted out your flat and have to travel for and extra 2 hours each way to work- brilliant! We'd better win some bloody medals! Quite glad I'll be missing it all! I wonder how much revenue the Olympics will bring in compared to what it has cost and what it will cost in lost business and time.

Anyone due to visit London next summer might want to book their hotels now btw... or review visiting at all!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London and the Olympics

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
So I know some of you couldn't really give a rats arse about the UK anymore, however I still love london and miss it terribly, whenever i go home I feel a real pull to go back. Anyway I've just got back after a trip back and was astouded at the mess London is in due to the Olympics- I feel sorry for any tourists that have decided totravel there this year as everything is being dug up, or has scaffolding all over it getting it prepared for next year.

I also have friends that have been told they will need to vacate their flats for the summer next year or find alternative residence whilst their landlords rent out the flats for as much as 1000 a night... also they are predicting that any journey across london will need at least 2 hours added to journey time due to station closures and extra footflow.

So not only have you been paying higher tax as a Londoner to pay for the olympics, chances are you haven't managed to get any tickets, the city is being dug up left right and centre and you may get booted out your flat and have to travel for and extra 2 hours each way to work- brilliant! We'd better win some bloody medals! Quite glad I'll be missing it all! I wonder how much revenue the Olympics will bring in compared to what it has cost and what it will cost in lost business and time.

Anyone due to visit London next summer might want to book their hotels now btw... or review visiting at all!
I have family there so have several places to stay if I fancy going back.

The Olympics is a two edged sword, it will bring money and people in but as you pointed out it will also disrupt local lives and cost them more taxes.

I'm actually more concerned about how stupid and un-British all the marketing seems to be. We should have millions of redcoats on parade and be serving black tea with milk and biscuits to the visitors

N.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post

Sorry, but I don't believe most of this.....

Disruption? Where?? Kensington High Street?? London is going to get a long overdue spring clean and refurb, but only in areas where the Olympics are happening. And as for getting kicked out - how? Will landlords kick people out in the middle of a tenancy contract? 1000 a night? Who will pay that?

There will be plenty of tickets for most events at late notice - true, the men's 100m final might be over popular, but swimming, cycling, etc won't sell out (and many of those who have been allocated tickets for events they don't want will return them).

I think there is too much hype - it will be a successful event, despite the whining of locals who suffer 'disruption'.

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 17th 2011 at 9:16 am. Reason: s
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I shall not be in London for the Olympics. It will be a nightmare. And the Olympics cost my lovely Manchester a tram extension.