London Marathon 2014

Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Marathon 2014

Sky Sports News announced yesterday morning (Saturday) that this weekend there were two 'massive sporting occasions' - the FA Cup semi-finals and the US Masters............ no mention of the London Marathon, even though Mo Farah is taking part.

On a completely unrelated point, Sky has exclusive rights to............. the FA Cup semi-finals and the Masters this weekend. The marathon is a BBC event...........
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sky Sports News announced yesterday morning (Saturday) that this weekend there were two 'massive sporting occasions' - the FA Cup semi-finals and the US Masters............ no mention of the London Marathon, even though Mo Farah is taking part.

On a completely unrelated point, Sky has exclusive rights to............. the FA Cup semi-finals and the Masters this weekend. The marathon is a BBC event...........
Regardless of who's showing it, it's not really a massive sporting occasion though, is it? It's a long race that no one really cares about, apart from when a Brit might have a chance of winning, followed by a giant charity fun run. Ok, there'll be lots of people out to watch and parts of a large conurbation in the south-east of England will be closed down for a while, but the global audience would be tiny compared to that of the football or golf.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Regardless of who's showing it, it's not really a massive sporting occasion though, is it? It's a long race that no one really cares about, apart from when a Brit might have a chance of winning, followed by a giant charity fun run. Ok, there'll be lots of people out to watch and parts of a large conurbation in the south-east of England will be closed down for a while, but the global audience would be tiny compared to that of the football or golf.
Point taken - but MY point was that Sky were merely trying to belittle another broadcaster............
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
another broadcaster............
Also, know as 'the competition' so hardly surprising really, and they've been at it ever since they became the dominant sports broadcaster in the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway -- Millsey, how are the nipples?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Back at work today sadly after my flying visit to London, but at least it's a short working week.

Nipples are absolutely fine thanks Millhouse, many precautions were taken to ensure their safety which thankfully worked like a treat.

What an experience though - the most important thing was that I finished, but on top of that I was within my target time of 4.5 hours, finishing in what I consider a very respectable 4 hours 21 minutes and 38 seconds, having just about managed to run the entire distance. I say 'run' but it was becoming more of a shuffle towards the end, but definitely wasn't walking...

It was an incredible day though, the support throughout from the crowd was amazing - I say throughout because that's what it was, from start to finish along the side of the road there was support sometimes 10 people deep, all shouting your name (as most people have their name on their shirt), offering you sweets, drinks, bananas, kids high-fiving you as you go past, music playing, it was surreal in a way, complete strangers who seemed to genuinely want to spur you on.

And then as I neared the end, struggling to keep running, I turned at Westminster past the Houses of Parliament to run up towards Buckingham Palace and the finish line at the Mall, I heard someone screaming my name and looked to see my mum, who I didn't know was going to be there, but had made her way up to support me. That was a lovely surprise.

The weather couldn't have been better either, my shoulders actually looked a little pink where they'd caught the sun. I heard people saying it was too hot but having trained in the heat it was perfect for me.

Overall, an amazing experience, at this moment still with stiff legs and remembering how difficult I found it, possibly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but who knows, maybe I'll enter the ballot for next year's marathon when it opens next week and see how I get on...

Thanks for all the messages of support - it's still not too late to donate!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Ballot for the 2015 race is open now if anyone's interested - only likely to be open for a few more hours though, as it'll shut after they reach about 120,000 applicants....

http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon...ndon-marathon/