British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/london-gem-heist-clean-professional-job-core-drill-856905/)

Boomhauer Apr 22nd 2015 8:53 pm

London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
They used core drills, Hilti core drill to be exact , as they left it behind. Cored through the basement walls.

Those walls look to be about 4 feet thick? As a commenter notes: where's the rebar in the wall? All I see is one possible rebar end at the center of the cored hole.

Like the below comment and agree with it as I got a Hilti combi-hammer ; Hilti stuff is top notch.

"The next job should be sponsored by Hilti. Their equipment is top notch."


Hatton Garden heist in pictures released by Scotland Yard | Daily Mail Online

-

So are the coppers going to make a fuss about seeing who buys Core Drills? Wouldn't surprise me what with how intrusive and nosy UK government is.

co durham boy Apr 23rd 2015 8:53 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11625866)
They used core drills, Hilti core drill to be exact , as they left it behind. Cored through the basement walls.

Those walls look to be about 4 feet thick? As a commenter notes: where's the rebar in the wall? All I see is one possible rebar end at the center of the cored hole.

Like the below comment and agree with it as I got a Hilti combi-hammer ; Hilti stuff is top notch.

"The next job should be sponsored by Hilti. Their equipment is top notch."


Hatton Garden heist in pictures released by Scotland Yard | Daily Mail Online

-

So are the coppers going to make a fuss about seeing who buys Core Drills? Wouldn't surprise me what with how intrusive and nosy UK government is.

Didn't see any rebar in that wall , it looked like mass concrete . Schoolboy error for the contractor who installed that . If the wall had rebar it would have took at least three times longer to core that out .

Robajob Apr 23rd 2015 1:01 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11626246)
Didn't see any rebar in that wall , it looked like mass concrete . Schoolboy error for the contractor who installed that . If the wall had rebar it would have took at least three times longer to core that out .

Better than some of the concrete over here though. I reckon some of the older basement walls could be excavated with a rusty spoon.....

Boomhauer Apr 24th 2015 1:06 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11626246)
Didn't see any rebar in that wall , it looked like mass concrete . Schoolboy error for the contractor who installed that . If the wall had rebar it would have took at least three times longer to core that out .



I assume it is not a load bearing wall as evident by the lack of rebar.

It is odd to see a non-load bearing wall not made of cinder blocks, but of poured concrete. Maybee they thought a poured wall offered more security for the vault than a cinder block one, but if so why forgo the rebar??

I am neither a structural engineer nor a contractor so : Is it normal for a poured wall of that height not to crack when it does not have re-bar to add tensile strength? My hunch is the sheer thickness of the wall and it being only the height of 1 floor made tensile strength a non issue?

Bahtatboy Apr 24th 2015 9:20 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11627068)
I assume it is not a load bearing wall as evident by the lack of rebar.

It is odd to see a non-load bearing wall not made of cinder blocks, but of poured concrete. Maybee they thought a poured wall offered more security for the vault than a cinder block one, but if so why forgo the rebar??

I am neither a structural engineer nor a contractor so : Is it normal for a poured wall of that height not to crack when it does not have re-bar to add tensile strength? My hunch is the sheer thickness of the wall and it being only the height of 1 floor made tensile strength a non issue?

I'm not a structural or civil engineer either, but if the wall was not expected to be subject to any (or only minimal) tensile forces then reinforcement would not be required. Although concrete's weak in tension, its not without tensile strength. Any civil or structural engineers around?

Scamp Apr 26th 2015 9:37 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
Wall thick and big. Drill strong and bigger. Big hole.

Scamp BSc Drilling MSc Concrete Walls MCIHC (Member of the Chartered Institute of Holes in Concrete)

Dumbo Apr 26th 2015 10:56 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 11626451)
Better than some of the concrete over here though. I reckon some of the older basement walls could be excavated with a rusty spoon.....

The ones I have seen over here have had more rebar than concrete, granted they are new not old.

Sandboy Apr 27th 2015 12:39 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 11626451)
Better than some of the concrete over here though. I reckon some of the older basement walls could be excavated with a rusty spoon.....

especially that mexican stuff ! ;)

Robajob Apr 27th 2015 1:29 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 11630164)
especially that mexican stuff ! ;)

That French stuff is pretty rubbish by all accounts too :-P

OleJanx Apr 27th 2015 2:40 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 11630203)
That French stuff is pretty rubbish by all accounts too :-P

:rofl:

Scamp Apr 27th 2015 2:47 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
You guys can do beton than this surely. I mean, you lot are experts - at least the aggregate in here cements you all as the pinnacle of knowledge in such an area?

Just reinforce the point, I'm sure a few of you work with the composite, so must be able to mix some ideas together. That being said, don't get prestressed over it, maybe just think about it when you're at the rebar.

OleJanx Apr 27th 2015 5:16 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11630260)
You guys can do beton than this surely. I mean, you lot are experts - at least the aggregate in here cements you all as the pinnacle of knowledge in such an area?

Just reinforce the point, I'm sure a few of you work with the composite, so must be able to mix some ideas together. That being said, don't get prestressed over it, maybe just think about it when you're at the rebar.

I don't know what to say. I'm crushed...

co durham boy Apr 28th 2015 7:35 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
All my compressive strength's gone after reading this .......

Scamp Apr 28th 2015 7:45 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11630921)
All my compressive strength's gone after reading this .......

I thought you were getting a little tensile. You need to relax CDB, pour yourself a drink into the (cement) mixer and put your feet up.

OleJanx Apr 28th 2015 8:26 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
Never mind. Everything will be better after 28 days...

Bahtatboy Apr 28th 2015 10:15 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
I've slumped. But I've got some tests coming up in 7 days, then some more a week and three weeks later, by which time I'm hoping to be at full strength. Just hope I don't end up crushed...

co durham boy Apr 28th 2015 10:16 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11630952)
Never mind. Everything will be better after 28 days...

I'm in a bit of a slump regarding this point but i'm sure that's not the core issue .

Scamp Apr 28th 2015 10:26 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11631013)
I've slumped. But I've got some tests coming up in 7 days, then some more a week and three weeks later, by which time I'm hoping to be at full strength. Just hope I don't end up crushed...

Just don't slip, forming opinions. Work on the aggregate, cement your ideas and deliver in batches.

OleJanx Apr 28th 2015 10:44 am

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
There's some great comments on this thread. Let's keep pumping it up...

Sandboy Apr 28th 2015 2:26 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
late.... as usual

Bahtatboy May 19th 2015 4:37 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
According to news just in, over 200 officers have put their lives on hold over the past month to arrest 7 men aged between 49 and 76 in connection with the grooming of young girls by Asian men in Rotherham.

Oh, sorry, to recover some baubles. Rotherham carries on as normal...

themajor May 19th 2015 5:04 pm

Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.
 
Back on topic

Police arrest seven Hatton Garden heist suspects including three pensioners | Daily Mail Online


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:13 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.