Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.

London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.

They used core drills, Hilti core drill to be exact , as they left it behind. Cored through the basement walls.

Those walls look to be about 4 feet thick? As a commenter notes: where's the rebar in the wall? All I see is one possible rebar end at the center of the cored hole.

Like the below comment and agree with it as I got a Hilti combi-hammer ; Hilti stuff is top notch.

"The next job should be sponsored by Hilti. Their equipment is top notch."

Hatton Garden heist in pictures released by Scotland Yard | Daily Mail Online

-

So are the coppers going to make a fuss about seeing who buys Core Drills? Wouldn't surprise me what with how intrusive and nosy UK government is.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London gem heist. Clean professional job with Core drill.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
They used core drills, Hilti core drill to be exact , as they left it behind. Cored through the basement walls.

Those walls look to be about 4 feet thick? As a commenter notes: where's the rebar in the wall? All I see is one possible rebar end at the center of the cored hole.

Like the below comment and agree with it as I got a Hilti combi-hammer ; Hilti stuff is top notch.

"The next job should be sponsored by Hilti. Their equipment is top notch."

Hatton Garden heist in pictures released by Scotland Yard | Daily Mail Online

-

So are the coppers going to make a fuss about seeing who buys Core Drills? Wouldn't surprise me what with how intrusive and nosy UK government is.
Didn't see any rebar in that wall , it looked like mass concrete . Schoolboy error for the contractor who installed that . If the wall had rebar it would have took at least three times longer to core that out .
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Didn't see any rebar in that wall , it looked like mass concrete . Schoolboy error for the contractor who installed that . If the wall had rebar it would have took at least three times longer to core that out .
Better than some of the concrete over here though. I reckon some of the older basement walls could be excavated with a rusty spoon.....
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it is not a load bearing wall as evident by the lack of rebar.

It is odd to see a non-load bearing wall not made of cinder blocks, but of poured concrete. Maybee they thought a poured wall offered more security for the vault than a cinder block one, but if so why forgo the rebar??

I am neither a structural engineer nor a contractor so : Is it normal for a poured wall of that height not to crack when it does not have re-bar to add tensile strength? My hunch is the sheer thickness of the wall and it being only the height of 1 floor made tensile strength a non issue?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I assume it is not a load bearing wall as evident by the lack of rebar.

It is odd to see a non-load bearing wall not made of cinder blocks, but of poured concrete. Maybee they thought a poured wall offered more security for the vault than a cinder block one, but if so why forgo the rebar??

I am neither a structural engineer nor a contractor so : Is it normal for a poured wall of that height not to crack when it does not have re-bar to add tensile strength? My hunch is the sheer thickness of the wall and it being only the height of 1 floor made tensile strength a non issue?
I'm not a structural or civil engineer either, but if the wall was not expected to be subject to any (or only minimal) tensile forces then reinforcement would not be required. Although concrete's weak in tension, its not without tensile strength. Any civil or structural engineers around?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Wall thick and big. Drill strong and bigger. Big hole.

Scamp BSc Drilling MSc Concrete Walls MCIHC (Member of the Chartered Institute of Holes in Concrete)
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:56 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robajob
Better than some of the concrete over here though. I reckon some of the older basement walls could be excavated with a rusty spoon.....
The ones I have seen over here have had more rebar than concrete, granted they are new not old.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

especially that mexican stuff !
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sandboy
especially that mexican stuff !
That French stuff is pretty rubbish by all accounts too :-P
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

That French stuff is pretty rubbish by all accounts too :-P
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You guys can do beton than this surely. I mean, you lot are experts - at least the aggregate in here cements you all as the pinnacle of knowledge in such an area?

Just reinforce the point, I'm sure a few of you work with the composite, so must be able to mix some ideas together. That being said, don't get prestressed over it, maybe just think about it when you're at the rebar.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You guys can do beton than this surely. I mean, you lot are experts - at least the aggregate in here cements you all as the pinnacle of knowledge in such an area?

Just reinforce the point, I'm sure a few of you work with the composite, so must be able to mix some ideas together. That being said, don't get prestressed over it, maybe just think about it when you're at the rebar.
I don't know what to say. I'm crushed...
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

All my compressive strength's gone after reading this .......
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:45 am
Account Closed

All my compressive strength's gone after reading this .......
I thought you were getting a little tensile. You need to relax CDB, pour yourself a drink into the (cement) mixer and put your feet up.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Never mind. Everything will be better after 28 days...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.