British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   London Fire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/london-fire-898037/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 14th 2017 7:12 am

London Fire

Colossal fire, whole building was engulfed it appears.
Fire Dept have said there are fatalities but not said how many.

Apparently it had been refurbed inside and out - new cladding / exterior panels / covers too. :blink:

Inselaffen Jun 14th 2017 7:28 am

Re: London Fire

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12272744)
Colossal fire, whole building was engulfed it appears.
Fire Dept have said there are fatalities but not said how many.

Apparently it had been refurbed inside and out - new cladding / exterior panels / covers too. :blink:

looking how quick it spread the cladding must be suspect!

Arnold S Jun 14th 2017 7:40 am

Radio 4 just reports that the refurbishment was "fraught with problems" and many witnesses reporting they never heard fire alarms. Probably best waiting for statements and enquiries but from rolling news and tweets it doesn't look good.

Millhouse Jun 14th 2017 7:48 am

I really had hoped it was the bridge

Millhouse Jun 14th 2017 7:54 am

Wow ... what a catalog of failures already, tennants were advised to stay in their flats if there was a fire.

Oh, and the company that put up the cladding have apparently taken the reference to the work done off their website. Here is cache link:

Grenfell Tower

al dente Jun 14th 2017 7:56 am

Very distressing. The witness reports are traumatic. It seems residents had aired grievances before about the lack of fire safety.

al dente Jun 14th 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12272780)
Wow ... what a catalog of failures already, tennants were advised to stay in their flats if there was a fire.

Oh, and the company that put up the cladding have apparently taken the reference to the work done off their website. Here is cache link:

Grenfell Tower

****ing PR. Cowards.

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 14th 2017 8:09 am

And we thought it was just out here that construction and safety standards were so shoddy!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 14th 2017 8:12 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 12272783)
Very distressing. The witness reports are traumatic. It seems residents had aired grievances before about the lack of fire safety.

Loads apparently and a blog predicting that it would need a major fire to convince the management firm / landlords.

Inselaffen Jun 14th 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12272795)
Loads apparently and a blog predicting that it would need a major fire to convince the management firm / landlords.

run by the Tenants and Council

BEVS Jun 14th 2017 8:52 am

So. Here are my thoughts.

I hope that not so many were burned and injured. In fact none, being unrealistic of course.
I really, really hope that no-one was burnt or suffocated to death.
That no-one was trapped and scared and frightened and then suffered death or injury.
That no-one that sought to escape , no matter what, was killed or injured and still have their life.

Once a very long time ago , I was in an RTA and badly hurt . I am hoping beyond hope that no-one . Not one person more anywhere . Anytime. Any why. Any moment goes through pain and suffering.

mikelincs Jun 14th 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12272758)
looking how quick it spread the cladding must be suspect!

Reports are saying that the speed of the spread was due to the fire moving up via the cladding, gap between cladding and walls acting as a wick. Reports also saying that a company had been working on the gas pipes around the 4th floor, and oddly enough that was where the fire started, apparently an explosion was heard.

martinbkk Jun 14th 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12272795)

Suspiciously prophetic methinks.

Millhouse Jun 14th 2017 9:53 am

Apparently it was a fridge.

How they could know that at this stage is beyond me but true is you believe the Daily mail.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 14th 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12272862)
Suspiciously prophetic methinks.

That's a frightening thought....