British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Lockerbie bomber released: America hits back...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/lockerbie-bomber-released-america-hits-back-627291/)

The Dean Aug 24th 2009 4:41 pm

Lockerbie bomber released: America hits back......

:huh:

http://www.boycottscotland.com/

elfman Aug 24th 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Lockerbie bomber released: America hits back......

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7871480)

what a dull-looking site: they need a few pictures of tins of shortbread, bottles of whisky and plastic nessies to break up the monotony

Thydney Aug 24th 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 7871508)
what a dull-looking site: they need a few pictures of tins of shortbread, bottles of whisky and plastic nessies to break up the monotony

Dull sight from a dull person. Sweet FA to do with anyone but the Jocks the US should have a god look at its own justice system

The Dean Aug 24th 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 7871523)
Dull sight from a dull person. Sweet FA to do with anyone but the Jocks the US should have a god look at its own justice system

And there are stories coming out of the USA tonight that convicted swindler Bernie "150 Years" Madoff has terminal cancer...........

........... I think they should release him 149.8 years early on compassionate grounds...........

MacScot Aug 25th 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7871480)

Haha.."they" quote Lord Owen at the top of the first page but do not seem to be aware that Lord Owen agrees with Kenny MacAskill's decision on compassionate release on licence!

Apparently it is a one-person website authored a New Yorker via an ISP in Canada.

The Dean Aug 25th 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7872962)
Haha.."they" quote Lord Owen at the top of the first page but do not seem to be aware that Lord Owen agrees with Kenny MacAskill's decision on compassionate release on licence!

Apparently it is a one-person website authored a New Yorker via an ISP in Canada.

it is a one-person website

Getting huge publicity though..............

MacScot Aug 25th 2009 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7873686)
it is a one-person website

Getting huge publicity though..............

...more so by UK press, though. The website has been up and running over 4 days now and only just over 1,300 signed the petition...and that includes those signing in and making comments that tell the Americans where to get off.

Big US papers (NYT, BH etc) hardly reporting on the matter...also dropped now on BBC World and CNN...so should all blow over soon. :thumbup:

The Dean Aug 25th 2009 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7873720)
...more so by UK press, though. The website has been up and running over 4 days now and only just over 1,300 signed the petition...and that includes those signing in and making comments that tell the Americans where to get off.

Big US papers (NYT, BH etc) hardly reporting on the matter...also dropped now on BBC World and CNN...so should all blow over soon. :thumbup:

So............ Scotland saved then.................. thank goodness for that.

MacScot Aug 25th 2009 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7874042)
So............ Scotland saved then.................. thank goodness for that.

Looks like it :) Though Brown had nothing to say but, secretly, being the son of a minister of the manse, he would probably agree with the compassionate release decision by MacAskill...but cant say so without further upsetting the Americans.

Thydney Aug 25th 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7874222)
Looks like it :) Though Brown had nothing to say but, secretly, being the son of a minister of the manse, he would probably agree with the compassionate release decision by MacAskill...but cant say so without further upsetting the Americans.

Well I only have one thing to say Ronnie Biggs

The Dean Aug 25th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 7874247)
Well I only have one thing to say Ronnie Biggs

And I say....... Bernie Madoff.

He's only got 149 years and eight months to serve, but he's dying of cancer (allegedly). Go on, America, do the compassionate thing...........

Ronnie Biggs can't walk, can't eat and apparently no longer even recognises his own son. He was a burden on his prison, surely. Kicking him out was simply sensible.

commander Aug 25th 2009 5:29 pm

I just can't think why the scottish government came to this decision..if not simply to put 2 fingers up at London..bit of sabre rattling from the jocks me thinks...

Thydney Aug 25th 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7874259)
And I say....... Bernie Madoff.

He's only got 149 years and eight months to serve, but he's dying of cancer (allegedly). Go on, America, do the compassionate thing...........

Ronnie Biggs can't walk, can't eat and apparently no longer even recognises his own son. He was a burden on his prison, surely. Kicking him out was simply sensible.

And you think the stuff fredbassett needs is a cheaper option?

MacScot Aug 25th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7874291)
I just can't think why the scottish government came to this decision..if not simply to put 2 fingers up at London..bit of sabre rattling from the jocks me thinks...

Probably :lol:

One thing that came out of all this inadvertently, is the world now knows that Scotland actually has its own government (even though with limited powers). An Emirati last night asked me about the politics and said he was surpised that we had our own government...as he thought "Scotland was part of England !" :ohmy:

seven seas Aug 25th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7874318)
One thing that came out of all this inadvertently, is the world now knows that Scotland actually has its own government

Well, that is good.

I agree about the SNP just flexing its muscles. Although it's more like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me.

It seems like you can get your 15 minutes of fame by simply putting together a website dedicated to boycotting some country that doesn't follow US foreign policy.