Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour"

Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour"

Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:22 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour"

Originally Posted by Kim67
I've come across some horrible locals and some equally horrible expats. Same goes for decency - there are very decent locals and very decent expats. It's the same the world over, you get a***holes of all nationalities.
absolutely...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:21 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I've come across some horrible locals and some equally horrible expats. Same goes for decency - there are very decent locals and very decent expats. It's the same the world over, you get a***holes of all nationalities.
Quite agree the difference is that of someone your own nationality or other than a local pushed in front of you in a queue then you would def say something but locals you have to think twice .......and they know it, I find the female locals more ignorant than the men, especially in queues at checkouts in the likes of Debenhams or M & S, they just walk to the front in a lot of cases and put their purchases on the counter and stand there to be served, most time no one including myself says a thing, i just put my stuff on the counter and walk away
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:35 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
, i just put my stuff on the counter and walk away
which is like not really handy cause you are the one losing out...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Quite agree the difference is that of someone your own nationality or other than a local pushed in front of you in a queue then you would def say something but locals you have to think twice .......and they know it, I find the female locals more ignorant than the men, especially in queues at checkouts in the likes of Debenhams or M & S, they just walk to the front in a lot of cases and put their purchases on the counter and stand there to be served, most time no one including myself says a thing, i just put my stuff on the counter and walk away
thats because if you have a go at a local monobrowed bird then you will really be in shit!

luckily here if to local pushes in front of you you can just tell them to F off!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
My partner works in a shop. She deals with many different people coming in to buy things. Her worst customers are locals, especially women.

story 1: One local woman bought some items from the store. She returned a week later (not her, she sent the driver). She wanted to trade the items as they were the wrong size or something. They traded even though it was past the time they allow to trade an item. A week later, she wanted to trade again. Sent in her driver who was sent out with a refusal from my partner. The lady called the shop and started shouting and complaining. The driver came back in and was sent away again. She called again and started shouting and complaining. She didn't get what she wanted but just basically acted like a complete bitch.

Story 2: A local entered the shop today. This lady was pissed off that my partners colleague wasn't offering more than 20% discount. I could here it as I was on the phone to my partner. She was screaming at her colleague as though it was her right to do so and to demand more discount. "I DONT WANT 20%. CALL THE MANAGER. RAR RAR RAR!". The reason she as so angry? She wanted to pay 2500 Dhs instead of 2587 Dhs. So she dropped everything and walked out.

I've heard MANY MANY stories like this from my partner and 9 out of 10 times when I ask her what the customers nationality is, its local. Why do they treat people like this?

For the Arabic speakers, does the word "racist" exist in the arabic language and what is its definition?
Gosh yr poor GF, I couldn't stand that shite, where is your GF from by the way
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:04 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
thats because if you have a go at a local monobrowed bird then you will really be in shit!

luckily here if to local pushes in front of you you can just tell them to F off!
yeah but what sort of shit?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annacarna
Gosh yr poor GF, I couldn't stand that shite, where is your GF from by the way
South east asia.

Anyway as far as theres a dickhead from every country thats true. I guess most of her encounters just happened to be mainly locals.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

South east asia.

Anyway as far as theres a dickhead from every country thats true. I guess most of her encounters just happened to be mainly locals.
They can be difficult, poor her, cant be nice having to put up with that nonsense. I have always thought that retail workers here get a really bad time and for a crap salary. Can she find work anywhere else, as the customer attitude wont change anytime soon
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annacarna
They can be difficult, poor her, cant be nice having to put up with that nonsense. I have always thought that retail workers here get a really bad time and for a crap salary. Can she find work anywhere else, as the customer attitude wont change anytime soon
Shes kinda used to it but sick of it at the same time. Shes sick of being harassed in general too. Arab kids tend to shout obscene shit at her in the street if shes alone, even if she is dressed conservatively. Same with my female colleagues who walk home from the office. Arab kids here seem to have no respect for anything or anyone. Least of all women. Funny that.

Actually she's just applied for a student visa in my country so we'll see how that goes.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Once again, shiva, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head....

When I first arrived over, I automatically assumed the nutters in their 4x4's were locals, as they drove exactly the same way as Saudi's in the Eastern Province..

What I later started noticing was that the vast majority of these 4x4's had, Euro / RSA / Aus / Kiwi / Yank flags slapped on the tailgates.. I have attempted to maintain my own personal driving standards whilst over here and it still amazes me how many expats are just as bad, if not worse, than locals, and not just driving..
When in Dubai, do as Romans do...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:59 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I've found an innocent look and "Sorry, were you in the queue?" worked a couple of times... although the anti-riposte power of having a rather cute toddler with you (even if I do say so myself) is not negligeable.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:11 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Shes kinda used to it but sick of it at the same time. Shes sick of being harassed in general too. Arab kids tend to shout obscene shit at her in the street if shes alone, even if she is dressed conservatively. Same with my female colleagues who walk home from the office. Arab kids here seem to have no respect for anything or anyone. Least of all women. Funny that.
Well that's hardly surprising...it seems many Muslim Arabs boys are taught non-Muslim women are whores. I was disgusted to learn this snippet of cultural learning from a local chap I had coffee with last week and his Syrian business partner.

N.