British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/locals-attitude-towards-lowly-imported-labour-590328/)

AnotherWorld Feb 9th 2009 2:05 pm

Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour"

My partner works in a shop. She deals with many different people coming in to buy things. Her worst customers are locals, especially women.

story 1: One local woman bought some items from the store. She returned a week later (not her, she sent the driver). She wanted to trade the items as they were the wrong size or something. They traded even though it was past the time they allow to trade an item. A week later, she wanted to trade again. Sent in her driver who was sent out with a refusal from my partner. The lady called the shop and started shouting and complaining. The driver came back in and was sent away again. She called again and started shouting and complaining. She didn't get what she wanted but just basically acted like a complete bitch.

Story 2: A local entered the shop today. This lady was pissed off that my partners colleague wasn't offering more than 20% discount. I could here it as I was on the phone to my partner. She was screaming at her colleague as though it was her right to do so and to demand more discount. "I DONT WANT 20%. CALL THE MANAGER. RAR RAR RAR!". The reason she as so angry? She wanted to pay 2500 Dhs instead of 2587 Dhs. So she dropped everything and walked out.

I've heard MANY MANY stories like this from my partner and 9 out of 10 times when I ask her what the customers nationality is, its local. Why do they treat people like this?

For the Arabic speakers, does the word "racist" exist in the arabic language and what is its definition?

Spugsy Feb 9th 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Locals attitude towards "lowly imported labour"

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7266747)
My partner works in a shop. She deals with many different people coming in to buy things. Her worst customers are locals, especially women.

story 1: One local woman bought some items from the store. She returned a week later (not her, she sent the driver). She wanted to trade the items as they were the wrong size or something. They traded even though it was past the time they allow to trade an item. A week later, she wanted to trade again. Sent in her driver who was sent out with a refusal from my partner. The lady called the shop and started shouting and complaining. The driver came back in and was sent away again. She called again and started shouting and complaining. She didn't get what she wanted but just basically acted like a complete bitch.

Story 2: A local entered the shop today. This lady was pissed off that my partners colleague wasn't offering more than 20% discount. I could here it as I was on the phone to my partner. She was screaming at her colleague as though it was her right to do so and to demand more discount. "I DONT WANT 20%. CALL THE MANAGER. RAR RAR RAR!". The reason she as so angry? She wanted to pay 2500 Dhs instead of 2587 Dhs. So she dropped everything and walked out.

I've heard MANY MANY stories like this from my partner and 9 out of 10 times when I ask her what the customers nationality is, its local. Why do they treat people like this?

For the Arabic speakers, does the word "racist" exist in the arabic language and what is its definition?

I've seen local women screaming at indians and phillipinos in supermarkets a few times, it's appalling.

commander Feb 9th 2009 2:58 pm

When I see it I really want to scream back at them.

I was at dubai mall a few months ago. We entered a lift and my daughter was sleeping in her buggy. These 2 arab twats were shouting at eachother (albeit general conversation for the pair of nuggets)

As they were female and with their own daughters (about 10) I strangely thought if I politely requested they lower their volume in the lift and be a little considerate, they would co-operate like normal civilised humans.

They went into a complete rant at me saying a mall is no place for a baby.

I told the pair of them to piss right off and they were a disgrace and an embarrasment to their country.

I don't know what they shouted at me, it was in arabic lol.

Twats

AnotherWorld Feb 9th 2009 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7266906)
When I see it I really want to scream back at them.

I was at dubai mall a few months ago. We entered a lift and my daughter was sleeping in her buggy. These 2 arab twats were shouting at eachother (albeit general conversation for the pair of nuggets)

As they were female and with their own daughters (about 10) I strangely thought if I politely requested they lower their volume in the lift and be a little considerate, they would co-operate like normal civilised humans.

They went into a complete rant at me saying a mall is no place for a baby.

I told the pair of them to piss right off and they were a disgrace and an embarrasment to their country.

I don't know what they shouted at me, it was in arabic lol.

Twats

Interesting story Twats..

I've also been talked at in Arabic by an old woman, possibly local. Tried getting into a taxi, she walked in front of me, stole it, said some shit in Arabic and waved me away as she got in. I just stared at her and asked "Why are you so rude?" she ignored me completely and drove off. Apparently does this regularly as my old colleagues had the same issue. She used to say things like "Youre not from this country". Once one of them called her a bitch in arabic and this local guy said to my colleague (who is indian) "dont call her that, shes a woman" he said "I dont care, she is a bitch and stole my taxi".

Spugsy Feb 9th 2009 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7266933)
Interesting story Twats..

I've also been talked at in Arabic by an old woman, possibly local. Tried getting into a taxi, she walked in front of me, stole it, said some shit in Arabic and waved me away as she got in. I just stared at her and asked "Why are you so rude?" she ignored me completely and drove off. Apparently does this regularly as my old colleagues had the same issue. She used to say things like "Youre not from this country". Once one of them called her a bitch in arabic and this local guy said to my colleague (who is indian) "dont call her that, shes a woman" he said "I dont care, she is a bitch and stole my taxi".

I have to say I haven't seen that much bad stuff from locals, well apart from when they are driving like idiots and wave and shout at you, it's a really good job I can't drive as I would go mental at them.

But you do hear the stories, and I'm not sure if I could hold my tongue if one started shouting at me.

In fact I know I couldn't.

Shadya Feb 9th 2009 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7267411)
I have to say I haven't seen that much bad stuff from locals, well apart from when they are driving like idiots and wave and shout at you, it's a really good job I can't drive as I would go mental at them.

But you do hear the stories, and I'm not sure if I could hold my tongue if one started shouting at me.

In fact I know I couldn't.

I heard about a Swedish guy who reacted angrily to a local pushing in at the Airport Immigration Desk. He was deported within the week. He obviously upset the wrong guy, so be careful.

Spugsy Feb 9th 2009 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7267439)
I heard about a Swedish guy who reacted angrily to a local pushing in at the Airport Immigration Desk. He was deported within the week. He obviously upset the wrong guy, so be careful.

yeah I know, I do try to be careful with them just in case.

Hello.Kitty Feb 9th 2009 5:19 pm

It'll be fine, once all the expats leave, they'll have to go back to doing their own laundry and mopping the floors. Dillusions of grandeur, I fear.

Eva Feb 9th 2009 5:26 pm

[QUOTE=AnotherWorld;7266933]Interesting story Twats..

:lol::lol::lol:

'Commander Twats' to you.

shiva Feb 9th 2009 6:27 pm

i'll agree that locals are bad for this however it seems to be a highly infectious disease as you will frequently see twats of all nationalities who have been infected doing the same.
To name a few, the white western expat women who trail a maid around like an accesory and frequently talk down to them in public, the levantine woman with same who rubbishes the maid whilst trying to look good with bad roots and a top 5 sizes to small, the indian family who chew out the maid for not managing to juggle 3 kids, two prams and a shopping trolley.

the one that really gets my goat is the thinly disguised chavs who now have domestic servants and decide to behave like a bad characateur of the british raj

personally i have my man flog the domestics in private, far less gauche and a good deal more effective

still.unsure Feb 9th 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7267699)

personally i have my man flog the domestics in private, far less gauche and a good deal more effective

hurrah! bloody good show old chap! :p

Charismatic Feb 9th 2009 9:48 pm

Solution 1,

Irate customer: <Starts shouting>
Her: Just hold on, do you know who this is your speaking to?
Irate customer: No...
Her: Click...beep...beep...beep...

;)

TGFKASE Feb 10th 2009 3:42 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7267699)
i'll agree that locals are bad for this however it seems to be a highly infectious disease as you will frequently see twats of all nationalities who have been infected doing the same.
To name a few, the white western expat women who trail a maid around like an accesory and frequently talk down to them in public, the levantine woman with same who rubbishes the maid whilst trying to look good with bad roots and a top 5 sizes to small, the indian family who chew out the maid for not managing to juggle 3 kids, two prams and a shopping trolley.

the one that really gets my goat is the thinly disguised chavs who now have domestic servants and decide to behave like a bad characateur of the british raj

Once again, shiva, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head....

When I first arrived over, I automatically assumed the nutters in their 4x4's were locals, as they drove exactly the same way as Saudi's in the Eastern Province..

What I later started noticing was that the vast majority of these 4x4's had, Euro / RSA / Aus / Kiwi / Yank flags slapped on the tailgates.. I have attempted to maintain my own personal driving standards whilst over here and it still amazes me how many expats are just as bad, if not worse, than locals, and not just driving..

MataHari Feb 10th 2009 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7267454)
yeah I know, I do try to be careful with them just in case.

and that is probably what makes them do it...

Kim67 Feb 10th 2009 4:17 am

I've come across some horrible locals and some equally horrible expats. Same goes for decency - there are very decent locals and very decent expats. It's the same the world over, you get a***holes of all nationalities.